Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 13BT in an AE85 Levin

is a semi-motivated Domestic Engineer 1JZ~lux's Avatar

Default 13BT in an AE85 Levin

G'day,

My mate has 2 rollas, an AE95 and an AE85. He's just gotten the 95 back on the road which means the 85 Levin is coming off the road. He's going to put a 13B turbo rotary in it. Personally I feel that a little bit more of my soul is withering and dying like when I put the R32 brakes on my Lux but its his car and this is what he wants to do.

So, I have the usual questions:
    What are the pitfalls that we should look out for?
    Has anyone done this before?
    Are there any mods other then the usual mounts, wiring, tailshaft, fuel system, exhaust, and intake that we will need to do?

This is the first engine conversion I've done (the Lux was done by a shop as time was important) and I have no clue what-so-ever about rotaries.

Cheers for any help that you guys (girls included) can offer and I'll keep posts of the progress we make on this.
    Petrol is for washing parts, alcohol's for drinking but NITRO IS FOR RACING!
    My pictures, Returning some time in the distant future.
    RN85 Hilux + 1JZ-GTE = 298.0HP @ 14PSI -- 60' 1.956 ET 13.775 MPH 99.49
    Project Korruption - Stage 1: The Resto. KE35 Corolla Hardtop daily driver

i wrote the Automotive Encyclopaedia roadsailing's Avatar

Default Re: 13BT in an AE85 Levin

been done lots of times, a few times in australia too.

there is a video older than the internet of a 20B in a levin, so the 13 should fit easily.

i think its a gay idea too, but to each their own.
    like to drift? live in victoria?
    www.vicdrift.com

now targeting: targets

formerly shinybluesteel

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

as decent diff should also be on the shopping list.

what's the purpose of the car? drag racing? drift?
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Have you checked the legality of this conversion? If it's going to be road-registered I think you may have dramas.

As far as the actual conversion goes though it's much the same as any other engine conversion. Obviously an upgraded drivetrain is a must; despite what people say a turbo rotary has plenty of torque and certainly a good deal more than a 4A!

Quote Originally Posted by thechuckster
    as decent diff should also be on the shopping list.

what's the purpose of the car? drag racing? drift?
    Diff will be a Hilux diff unsure of what LSD we'll use yet.
    He's going to use it for Drift.

Quote Originally Posted by Norbie
    Have you checked the legality of this conversion? If it's going to be road-registered I think you may have dramas.

As far as the actual conversion goes though it's much the same as any other engine conversion. Obviously an upgraded drivetrain is a must; despite what people say a turbo rotary has plenty of torque and certainly a good deal more than a 4A!
    I'm not sure if he's planning on registering it.
    The jap spec AE85 came out with a 3A

The Supreme Backyard Mechanic

will need to modify trans tunnel and get a 12a timing cover for an easier mount position.

My mate's definitely planning on registering it and he says that he talked to a mechanic and it would be compliant. I told him to ask an engineer to make sure.

Thanks for the tips 5000gt. Looking at the gearbox that we picked up last weekend (it came with a 13BT that needs a rebuild) I would have thought that it would fit pretty easy. Is there a specific gearbox we should be using?

You can use a w5x with adaptor, but why bother.... an s4+ turbo box will do fine till you start making serious numbers.... plus they go for around 5-600 bux....

I highly doubt that it would be legal as it would be equivalent to a 2600cc engine.... here in Syd, we have different rules, but i am still only allowed a 12a turbo.... it should be enough though.

Trans tunnel may work... but from my measurements, it won't fit.... had to modify (raised an inch) trans tunnel in my last ae86 13bt.... and will be doing the same again for my ae86 12a custom supercharged...possibly twin charged.... may have something to do with us mounting the engine off the front timing cover.... you'll have to find out yourself.

Diff will definitely die a painful death.... so hilux will be a hit!! Will definitely need brakes... personally, i've gone s15 front setup including 5 stud hubs, and hilux rear keeping them 5 studs also. That equates to 4 pot fronts, and soon will run ma70 rear disc setup...

no backyard Domestic Engineer japlish's Avatar

i saw a ke70 panel with a 12a turbo at a workshop the other day, it looks like they've dropped the crossmember an inch or two with steel rhs. this would help with gearbox to trans-tunnel clearance right?
    Destroyer of 'Drop Forged' spanners

yes but should see the bottom of the gearbox hang uncomfortably low... something i couldn't live with...

JZ Powered Too Much Toyota EldarO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1JZ~lux
    Diff will be a Hilux diff unsure of what LSD we'll use yet.
    He's going to use it for Drift.

I'm not sure if he's planning on registering it.
    The jap spec AE85 came out with a 3A

AFAIK neither Aus nor US got the ae85, so it can only be jap spec

tell your mate that sticking with nissan/toyota power would be a wiser move, 12A, 13B and 20B motors drink fuel, in a really, really, really bad way.

is the bestest Conversion King LeeRoy's Avatar

But theyre light and produce insane numbers.

Also as mentioned legalities will be an issue for sure. I would imagine an rx2/capella weighs more than an 85/6 and you cant put 13bt's into them legally either. Come to think of it i dont even think you can put an na 13b into one legally either.
    Daily Driver: Red Ae93 Project: My TA22 - now with 3s-gte
    D is for Disco, E is for Dancing

Senior ****** Carport Converter Sam_Q's Avatar

wouldnt a supra box be physically smaller than the original box? I mean we all know a supra box will fit straight in and adapters are cheap. If it wasnt for the fuel issue and legalities I think i would have a 13BT, I think purism is illogical

DIY Bloodline Domestic Engineer Talasas's Avatar

There is some logic in purism, it help maintain a consistency when working on the car, not all cars and parts (and certainly engines) are built the same. That being said I don't like extreme forms of purism myself and think each to their own if the result is neat and tidy (merely personal preference).

I saw a 13BT AE86 at a drift meet back in 2003 and it was quite well built and seemed to have no problems getting around the track. In terms of power to weight the rotary engines have an excellent ratio.

I would say the hard part will be maintenance on the engine, I personally don't know enough about them to maintain one myself but what I was always told by those who knew:

- If something breaks, it's always costly to replace.
    - They like to be rebuilt often.

some even go as far as thinking of it as a two-stroke in terms of the number of time you have to rebuild them for track work. I'm sorry that I can't be more concrete with any of that though.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move." -HHGG

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic gixer's Avatar

Talasas, The AE86 with 13BT you saw a few years at a drift meet was built by myself and my younger brother (the blue one with white sparco's), it was a relatively easy conversion and netted a handy 182rwkw so was quite a bit of fun. We also dragged at the 4,6 and Rotary Jamboree and did a 12.4 quarter mile.