Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 13BT in an AE85 Levin

The Supreme Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: 13BT in an AE85 Levin

Funny that.... my old 13bt one was blue also..... my new 12a one will be anthracite.

I think the whole trans tunnel thing depends on how you mount the engine... i may reconsider my mounting options.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic gixer's Avatar

5000gt, ours was done in SA. we didn't have any problems with trans tunnel, we did a few dodge things cos we were running out of time to get to jamboree but wasn't very hard, from memory(long time a go AND I'm getting old) we used 12a turbo front cover, 12a turbo distributor(vac retard on boost) haltec fuel only, series 4/5(can't remember) turbo box, poor little JDM AE86 diff, dump pipe from turbo was series 5 HKS item, fitted sweet. front mounted std intercooler, took extra butterflies out of throttle body.

Quote Originally Posted by japlish
    i saw a ke70 panel with a 12a turbo at a workshop the other day, it looks like they've dropped the crossmember an inch or two with steel rhs. this would help with gearbox to trans-tunnel clearance right?
    After doing some more measurements and research, i think i may go down this path also... The gearbox shouldn't be too low and the tailshaft angle should be acceptable....

Now... i just need an engine and gearbox...

cheers. Tan.

is a semi-motivated Domestic Engineer 1JZ~lux's Avatar

Ok I was too busy to do an update last week so here's the photos from last weekend.

The sprinter

The 3A-U

The dummy motor with the gearbox we'll be using

An empty sprinter

The 2 motors and my old man.

Passenger side first fit

Drivers side first fit

Gearbox crossmember first fit

Shifter alignment on the first fit
    Petrol is for washing parts, alcohol's for drinking but NITRO IS FOR RACING!
    My pictures, Returning some time in the distant future.
    RN85 Hilux + 1JZ-GTE = 298.0HP @ 14PSI -- 60' 1.956 ET 13.775 MPH 99.49
    Project Korruption - Stage 1: The Resto. KE35 Corolla Hardtop daily driver

The old mount positions

New mount position

Mount adaptor bracket

Transmission tunnel cut out

Here's the photos from this weekend.

Engine height

Engine placement

Gearbox crossmember/mount finished

Front mounts finished

Front mount close-up

Sound deadening removal from around the transmission tunnel

The start of the new tranny tunnel cover. We forgot to buy the sheet metal so we improvised with a section of 44 gallon drum.

Its fabrication

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1JZ~lux
    The start of the new tranny tunnel cover. We forgot to buy the sheet metal so we improvised with a section of 44 gallon drum.
    LOL that's awesome!

Spoke to an engineer, and a 1000kg car can have up to a 4.0L forced induction engine or a 4.6L natural induction engine. My mate that owns the sprinter has the formula for calculating what a car can be fitted with based on it weight. The vehicle would obviously require brake and suspension upgrades.

Engineers don't like firewalls and transmission tunnels being cut so we'll have to hide that it has been cut. The new cover is only going to be screwed down and sealed with silicon so it can be used as an access panel. To hide it we'll put the carpet back in over it and paint the underside with a thick layer of underbody sound deadener.

The mounts may need strengthening and the gearbox mount may need to be replaced with a solid block.

Fuel system will be from a VL commodore. As there is limited space under the car and the boot isn't sealed I was thinking of mounting the external injector pump and surge tank in the engine bay. The VL lift pump will be made to fit inside the sprinter fuel tank.

The tail shaft appears to be roughly 20mm short.

We'll also be reinstalling the A/C system.

We're not having much luck finding a series 5 half cut. There was one on ebay from All State Auto Imports but they took it off ebay after my mate called about it.

gixer, did your car have any vibrations due to tailshaft angle? I assume you were using the stock 2 piece with front piece modified.... Also assuming that you either had your engine/gb on an angle to clear the tunnel, or you dropped your crossmember ...

Japlish, do you remember how low the sump hung due to dropped crossmember on the old corolla?

1JZ~lux top effort!!!! though i think you went the hard way with mounting the engine.... i'll show you what i mean in a few weeks.

i think you have your weight calcs off.... or at least the weight of the sprinter.... it's less than a tonne and falls into the smaller car category....

in NSW, i think we are allowed 2.5L for FI and 3.5L for n/a or thereabouts...

Senior ****** Carport Converter Sam_Q's Avatar

looks great, the engineer I spoke to said it was fine to have a cut anything on the body providing that I with the new peice of metal have atleast a 20mm overlap and no more than a set distance between spot welds, 25mm I think it was?

You guys have to remember that we're all in different states with different rules. We told the engineer the sprinter weighed 960kgs and he rounded to make the calc's easier.

5000gt, I'd be very interested to see how yours is mounted.

If anyone that has done this before, has any tips for the fuel system, induction system or for cooling we'd really appreciate it.

Fuel system is a no brainer.... lift pump in tank, external surge with a high pressure efi pump.... there is loads of room under the car near diff recess for a surgey.

I think the induction and cooling is pretty straight forward. You got this far, the rest of the intake will be piss easy. Upgraded radiator (heaps available now), electric thermos, and a decent intercooler...

We used an rx7 oil cooler and hung it pretty low just behind the front bar.... but this time around, i will be using an after market cooler side mounted behind front bar.

You'll see it's easy when you start.

Senior ****** Carport Converter Sam_Q's Avatar

yeah the fuel system just take a little thought in regard to brackets and placement but the rest should be prety straightfoward

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic jezza323's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LeeRoy
    But theyre light and produce insane numbers.

Also as mentioned legalities will be an issue for sure. I would imagine an rx2/capella weighs more than an 85/6 and you cant put 13bt's into them legally either. Come to think of it i dont even think you can put an na 13b into one legally either.
    late rx2's came with an n/a 13b from factory...so maybe you should rethink that statement
    EP91 Toyota Starlet - AUStarletClub