Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 13BT in an AE85 Levin

is a semi-motivated Domestic Engineer 1JZ~lux's Avatar

Default Re: 13BT in an AE85 Levin

Quote Originally Posted by 5000gt
    Fuel system is a no brainer.... lift pump in tank, external surge with a high pressure efi pump.... there is loads of room under the car near diff recess for a surgey.

I think the induction and cooling is pretty straight forward. You got this far, the rest of the intake will be piss easy. Upgraded radiator (heaps available now), electric thermos, and a decent intercooler...

We used an rx7 oil cooler and hung it pretty low just behind the front bar.... but this time around, i will be using an after market cooler side mounted behind front bar.

You'll see it's easy when you start.
    For the fuel system I was going to use a VL Commodore setup. In tank lift pump with the surge tank and injector pump in the engine bay on the passenger side. The engineer says its fine to run rubber hose under the car.
    Induction looks like it'll be easy. I'm going to use the JZA70 intercooler from my old half-cut.
    I was planning on using the RX7 oil cooler hopefully with the OEM hoses.

So, moving forward. We picked up a RX7 series 5 Half-cut from Rollin Imports at Burleigh Heads last Saturday. They had picked all the goodies off of it except for a lightened flywheel and heavy duty clutch and my mate asked for the brakes which also had braided lines. All up cost $3000 and I had the guy throw in a tailshaft.
    Anyway, we got the half-cut back to my place and it has different engine mounts to the first motor and the gearboxes aren't a straight swap. We pretty much had to start from scratch again. Here's the picks.
    Here's the new motor. It's a lot bigger then the dummy

The old sprinter brake master and booster.

The RX7 brake master and booster.

Booster fitted. The idea was to fit the complete RX7 master and booster but it had the front outlet on the side hard against the strut tower. Using the RX7 booster with the 85 master was my old mans idea. I'm not too sure how it'll work out.

Sprinter master mated to the RX7 booster.

RX7 brakes with some other stuff.

We removed the bit of tube the old clutch cable went through and fitted the RX7 hydraulic master cylinder and used the RX7 metal tube to run across the firewall and connect to the slave.

Petrol is for washing parts, alcohol's for drinking but NITRO IS FOR RACING!
    My pictures, Returning some time in the distant future.
    RN85 Hilux + 1JZ-GTE = 298.0HP @ 14PSI -- 60' 1.956 ET 13.775 MPH 99.49
    Project Korruption - Stage 1: The Resto. KE35 Corolla Hardtop daily driver

The first fit of the new motor. It's a s#!t load higher.

The shifter is now a bit further back too.

The new engine mounts

The Supreme Backyard Mechanic

Hmm... i thought you made it look too easy the first time around. I'll be going my tried and tested method.... that's if i get some time off work... 75hr week anyone?

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic slipway's Avatar

did you use a 12a to dummy it as the housings are like 10mm shorter htan 13b

This weekend saw the completion of the engine and gearbox mounts. The brakes and clutch working to a certain extent. The wiring harness and oil cooler recovered from the half-cut. And the fuel tank dropped and fuel line run the length of the car.
    So much for my mate being told that all 13Bs have very similar mounts. After seeing the loom from the half-cut and how much work was involved in mounting the new motor I think we should have just rebuilt the carbie motor.

The new rotary mounted.

The gearbox crossmember and mount. We used the mount that came with the gearbox with the rubber blocks removed, bolted with its central bolt to the mount from the T50 gearbox and the T50 mount bolted to the crossmember with a 6mm spacer.

The clutch master cylinder.

The clutch slave cylinder (the metal tube is from the RX7 after being reshaped.

The clutch pedal. It needed a bracket welded on the side of it to convert from a pull to a push clutch and to step the the clutch to the side to miss the brake booster.

Slipway, It was a 13B carbie that had been turboed. It said 13B on the rotor housings.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic jezza323's Avatar

early 13b's mounted off the front housing (like 12as) but later mount off the side
    EP91 Toyota Starlet - AUStarletClub

Junior Member Grease Monkey medwin46's Avatar

Dunno if its just me, but that looks way too high to clear the bonnet??

It sticks out of the bonnet by about 2 inches (plenum and alternator). We we going to cut the bonnet and put a scoop or cowling over it.

That one looks like it had more of the firewall cut out and mounted further back. How was it mounted to the crossmember? Were there any mods to the sump? Where we've mounted ours, we could only lower it another 25mm before the sump hit.

Junior Member Grease Monkey medwin46's Avatar

I think it had fairly extensive firewall mods, dunno though. dont know much about it, best bet is to search on here for a member called raceflo, thats his car he'll tell you what he did as he's done it a few times.

After this was starting to drag out and with my projects falling behind, the sprinter has gone to my mates place (the owner). I'll post up any updates when they happen but I doubt things will go very quickly now.

Cheers for now
    Dave

The Supreme Backyard Mechanic

bah... just got married.... costs came way over budget.... now i can't afford to have 2 projects, so the 12a sprinter is going and the v12 supra takes priority.....

That said, anyone interested in a 12a turbo and s6 5spd gearbox, fly and clutch???? And if in Sydney, can hook you up with a guy that'll do a drive in drive out conversion also..... (he's done heaps now, including the most of the work on my first 13b turbo which died at the hands of a bread truck)......

Drift barge master Backyard Mechanic orestes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LeeRoy
    But theyre light and produce insane numbers.

Also as mentioned legalities will be an issue for sure. I would imagine an rx2/capella weighs more than an 85/6 and you cant put 13bt's into them legally either. Come to think of it i dont even think you can put an na 13b into one legally either.
    late RX2's, and RX3's came legally with 13b's fwiw
    MZ-10/GZ-10 hybrid turbo rolling shell, RB30 powered
    IS200 - 1GFE