Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Anonymous Read Access to Members Rides

  1. #1
    My wife loves a Grease Monkey pauljones1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    QLD
    Posts
    77

    Default Anonymous Read Access to Members Rides

    Hi,

    Just wondering why you do not allow anonymous (non-logged-in) users to view the Toymods Forum Members Rides section?

    Also, why do you not allow Toymods non-members to view the Members Rides?

    I can understand that you may want people to register before they can post but what is the harm in allowing people to view the board? I know that when I decided to register, it was because I wanted to post in the Tech & Conversions section, not because I wanted to view the hidden sections. I personally can't understand why the majority of the sections are un-viewable when the section with the most 'leechable' information is left open to the public to view (Tech and Conversions).

    By allowing access to those hidden sections it encourages people to join. By viewing the members rides it gives outsiders the a sense of excitement and compels them to become involved - maybe even join to post their own. It also provides greater advertising potential for your sponsors.

    The main reason this has become a problem for me is that I want to email the link to my car's thread out to all my mates. However, they can't view it because it is 'PRIVATE'.

    Is there any chance you will be opening these further sections up to anonymous read access?

    Oh, BTW, thanks for getting the OLD FORUM back up and running! Great Job!

    Looking forward to hearing back from you.
    Cheers,
    -Paul.
    "If you keep fixing it for long enough, eventually it WILL break."

    - RA28 3TGTE - I sold it. Bad idea. www.glisten.net.au/celica/index.htm
    - RA23 3TGTE - 168rwkw 12.9sec Toffee Apple [URL="http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/threads/26625-RA23-3TGTE-168rwkw-12-9sec-Toffee-Apple?p=561925#post561925[/URL]

  2. #2
    Forum Sponsor Conversion King
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    2,583

    Default Re: Anonymous Read Access to Members Rides

    i think youll find its all to do with privacy (and some ppl still want that on a forum). the reason T+C is open to the general public is to help ppl and if the find it useful they may chose to join the forum or the car club.

    ill let a board member answer this properly.

    cheers
    linden
    Quote Originally Posted by WHITCHY
    Prefer someone around the Sydney area but will travel a few hours for a good box!

  3. #3
    doctor ed Conversion King ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Penrith BC
    Posts
    2,537

    Default Re: Anonymous Read Access to Members Rides

    i dont want random internet 'pepole' knowing whats going into my car

    i know those in paid club membership are a refined and selected group and they are responsible enough to know what work im doing on my car.

    if it wasnt a 'sealed' section so to speak, i doubt it upload much stuff about my car at all
    ../delete/ban
    tech moderator
    E46 M3 Nürburgring Nordschleife - 8.38

  4. #4
    i am a Backyard Mechanic WiLo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    474

    Default Re: Anonymous Read Access to Members Rides

    as said privacy, if they were viewable by anyone if there was something in the background that is identifiable as to where the car is kept etc it is pretty much an online catalogue for thieves
    milk and juice come in 2L, The cheapest wines come in 5L, the finest vodka comes in 1L

  5. #5
    Toymods Club Member #194 Conversion King Lambolica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    2,109

    Default Re: Anonymous Read Access to Members Rides

    As said above, areas are made private for several reasons.

    The tech section is free to view as that is what Toymods is about, others helping others in the Toyota Community. the information is free to all. for those who wish to contribute, they can sign up and contribute.

    The Non-car talk is private as this is an area for forum users to place random chat. as happens from time to time on the internet a thread can become "Famous" and be linked to multiple other forums which inevitably attracts non contributing users that wish to post a random comment here or there.

    Members rides is hidden from the public to protect the Forum users Car. most users list a full modification list of what they have done or what parts they have bought that are sitting in their garages. usually with pictures of their car showing numberplates and enough information to pinpoint a location. thus providing low life thives opportunitys.

    Club members Rides is for the Toymods Car Club Financial Members (as is Misc for Sale) Generally this is the slowest moving topic on the forums and generally it is the Fin members Have a copy of their rides thread in both Members rides sections. Sometimes new projects are listed there before they get to the Main forum. Also the club members generally know each other Personally and as such there are details passed in this section that the Club member may not want the rest of the forum to know. Addresses etc.

    Classifides is blocked and also restricted to new users as first and formost the club is providing the forums as a free technical forum. Not a free Classifides service. The club does not wish to attract new users who wish to only sell and potentially rip off our members.

    Most of these guards are in place for the protection of those who do use and contribute to the forums. The old forums was shut down due to being over run bu people just selling stuff, or spamming the forums with random crap pulling the forums down to the level of Hot4's and boostcruising.

    Toymods is about sharing technical information about all things Toyota. this information is provided for free by the Toymods Car Club to the whole of the internet. those who wish to contribute to the forums and register get all the perks of access to other parts of the forums.

    Hope this clears things up

    Cheers
    Simon
    Beige.... The new Black!!!

  6. #6
    Forum Sponsor Conversion King
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    2,583

    Default Re: Anonymous Read Access to Members Rides

    Quote Originally Posted by ed_jza80
    i dont want random internet 'pepole' knowing whats going into my car
    thats if you ever get them back

    cheers
    linden
    Quote Originally Posted by WHITCHY
    Prefer someone around the Sydney area but will travel a few hours for a good box!

  7. #7
    Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    12,494

    Default Re: Anonymous Read Access to Members Rides

    Quote Originally Posted by pauljones1976
    By allowing access to those hidden sections it encourages people to join. By viewing the members rides it gives outsiders the a sense of excitement and compels them to become involved - maybe even join to post their own. It also provides greater advertising potential for your sponsors.
    i'd liek to address this point with my own personal feeling.

    it seems many people assume that toymods is some capitalist corporation, whose point is to get MORE MEMBERS and MORE SPONSORS.. and more.. whatever else... to become BETTER.....

    but there is no need for that.. why can7t people understand that toymods is just a simple club for simple car enthusiasts...

    in fact, more people = more hassle with running club

    if people won7t be attracted to join toymods CAR CLUB unless they can see other club members cars first... well... maybe they are not really who the club wants as members?

    your point about showing to mates has been mentioned before.
    if your mates could not be bothered joining toymods to view your members thread.. then simply copy and paste your members ride thread to a webpage, then everyone can see it!!!
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

    AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

  8. #8
    Former User Conversion King Joshstix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    2,114

    Default Re: Anonymous Read Access to Members Rides

    There are a few points at work here, some of which have been covered already but I'll go over them anyway.

    1) Yes there is a big privacy issue, we have had a lot of old members rides threads deleted because of the risks of theft etc and therefore do not want just anyone seeing the members rides threads.
    2) As a resource for the greater Toyota Community we make the tech and conversions section open to read for anyone, as it is a great service the the enthusiast group we are working to encourage.
    3) While the forum is not the Toymods Car Club it is an asset of the club and viewed by many as one and the same thing therefore we only want to make completely public the area's that we are happy having the general public associate with the club.
    4) Trying to get more members and sponsors. We already get 1000000+ hits per month to service the tiny charge that our sponsors pay. More members is not necessarily better fir the club, we'd rather have a tight knit group of dedicated enthusiasts rather than a massive number of people just in it for what benefit they can get.

  9. #9
    Junior Member Backyard Mechanic kugzs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    385

    Default Re: Anonymous Read Access to Members Rides

    Quote Originally Posted by ed_jza80
    i know those in paid club membership are a refined and selected group and they are responsible enough to know what work im doing on my car.
    how about setting a high rep limit...say 1000. This would keep out randoms yet allow frequently contributing non-members access.
    Got good condition 23/28 bonnet hinges? pm me

  10. #10
    Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Devils's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    W.A.
    Posts
    388

    Default Re: Anonymous Read Access to Members Rides

    Quote Originally Posted by Lambolica
    As said above, areas are made private for several reasons.

    The tech section is free to view as that is what Toymods is about, others helping others in the Toyota Community. the information is free to all. for those who wish to contribute, they can sign up and contribute.

    The Non-car talk is private as this is an area for forum users to place random chat. as happens from time to time on the internet a thread can become "Famous" and be linked to multiple other forums which inevitably attracts non contributing users that wish to post a random comment here or there.

    Members rides is hidden from the public to protect the Forum users Car. most users list a full modification list of what they have done or what parts they have bought that are sitting in their garages. usually with pictures of their car showing numberplates and enough information to pinpoint a location. thus providing low life thives opportunitys.

    Club members Rides is for the Toymods Car Club Financial Members (as is Misc for Sale) Generally this is the slowest moving topic on the forums and generally it is the Fin members Have a copy of their rides thread in both Members rides sections. Sometimes new projects are listed there before they get to the Main forum. Also the club members generally know each other Personally and as such there are details passed in this section that the Club member may not want the rest of the forum to know. Addresses etc.

    Classifides is blocked and also restricted to new users as first and formost the club is providing the forums as a free technical forum. Not a free Classifides service. The club does not wish to attract new users who wish to only sell and potentially rip off our members.

    Most of these guards are in place for the protection of those who do use and contribute to the forums. The old forums was shut down due to being over run bu people just selling stuff, or spamming the forums with random crap pulling the forums down to the level of Hot4's and boostcruising.

    Toymods is about sharing technical information about all things Toyota. this information is provided for free by the Toymods Car Club to the whole of the internet. those who wish to contribute to the forums and register get all the perks of access to other parts of the forums.

    Hope this clears things up

    Cheers
    Simon
    This should be posted on the main page that you get when trying to access ToyMods when your not a member!

    It is very well worded and makes a lot of sense!

    I think this club is the best out of all i have been part of (5 in total, nissanexa.com, MR2oc uk, SXoc UK, SilviaWA, Pulsar Group Australia). Non of those (minus PGA) are really 'car clubs' as such and therefore are merely viewed as forums. All are easy to sign up to to get access and some dont have the 'private' function so are viewable to Google searchers.

    Not a good thing at all.

    I'm all for the way this club it setup!

    It's easy enough to sign up for one of those 'show off your car' websites... i forget what they are called. But at least they can be viewed by all and are set out pretty nicely!

  11. #11
    Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    12,494

    Default Re: Anonymous Read Access to Members Rides

    Quote Originally Posted by kugzs
    how about setting a high rep limit...say 1000. This would keep out randoms yet allow frequently contributing non-members access.
    but it is easy for idiots to get 1000 rep... all you need is a dedicated car thread

    there are many peopl in the club who i hold in high esteem, yet don't have 1000 rep... and many who have over 1000 rep, that i wish could be taken away in a second
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

    AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

  12. #12
    My wife loves a Grease Monkey pauljones1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    QLD
    Posts
    77

    Default Re: Anonymous Read Access to Members Rides

    Thanks for the replies everyone but I hope this didn't start the debate as to who should and shouldn't be able to view the paid members area. That is a completely separate issue to what I am interested in and was only brought up to further illustrate a point I was trying to make.

    My question was regarding the general public viewing the forum members rides. I guess I completely forgot about the privacy issue which appears to be the compelling reason why that part of the board is locked down.

    Privacy is a very fair issue to raise and although my car is locked up, immobilised, difficult to get to, is covered, doesn't see the light of day 13 out of 14 days and when it does it does not get out of viewing distance from me at any stage, I am definitely guilty of forgetting that others do use their cars far more regularly and for more practical purposes.

    I will probably organise a dedicated website for my car in order to let my friends view it's details which will solve my problem.

    I am very happy that so many of the people who administer this board are both willing and able to outline reasons why the board runs the way it does. It shows the reason behind why this board is so successful in maintaining a factual database rather than the littered pages of meaningless banta some of the other toyota/celica boards are graced with.

    I have learned a very important lesson within this post - Although we all share a common interest we do have diverse methods of enjoying it. What I mean by this is that this board is capable of catering to daily drivers all the way through to show queens. That's a remarkable effort I reckon!

    Good job guys! I'll stay tuned.

    Cheers,
    -Paul.
    "If you keep fixing it for long enough, eventually it WILL break."

    - RA28 3TGTE - I sold it. Bad idea. www.glisten.net.au/celica/index.htm
    - RA23 3TGTE - 168rwkw 12.9sec Toffee Apple [URL="http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/threads/26625-RA23-3TGTE-168rwkw-12-9sec-Toffee-Apple?p=561925#post561925[/URL]

  13. #13
    Toymods Club Member #194 Conversion King Lambolica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    2,109

    Default Re: Anonymous Read Access to Members Rides

    G'day Paul,

    Yours is a fair enough question, and whilst it has been asked before, every so often it is good to reiterate the aims of the Club as a whole.

    Cheers
    Simon
    Beige.... The new Black!!!

  14. #14
    Forum Sponsor Conversion King
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    2,583

    Default Re: Anonymous Read Access to Members Rides

    Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    ... and many who have over 1000 rep, that i wish could be taken away in a second
    OI was that pointed at me

    Kugs, i think you will find that the ppl that put there cars in the members only section put them there for a very good reason (which ed pointed out), if they want there car veiwed by the masses then they can always chose to put it in the forum section.

    cheers
    linden
    Quote Originally Posted by WHITCHY
    Prefer someone around the Sydney area but will travel a few hours for a good box!

Similar Threads

  1. Members rides to General Members rides
    By TurboRA28 in forum Toymods Car Club Membership and Feedback
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 22-12-2005, 06:06 PM
  2. Toymods members rides
    By EldarO in forum Toymods Car Club Membership and Feedback
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 17-11-2005, 09:05 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •