Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1ggte pistons and rods in 4k

she loves me coz im a Conversion King love ke70's Avatar

Default 1ggte pistons and rods in 4k

well, people always say you can put 1ggte pistons and rods into a 4k going off the measurements etc, so i thought to prove it true or false, having the majority of the ingredients. not a perfect experiement, but close enough.

you will need 1ggte or gze or ge rods, so long as they are not gen 3 1ggte rods you will be fine, as these have a bigger big end.
    the ones i had had .25 oversize bearings, so they were a little tight on the crank, but for my purpose all was well.
    i also had no bearings on the crank, dont know what id done with them, bin im guessing. but it was bolted in, so again, close enough
    i took the rings off the piston for ease of use.

anddd, it works

thats the piston near bdc

and at TDC, it was about 3mm below the deck, which may work well for a turbo setup, or now you know it works, rig it up and work out exactly how much you want to deck the block by, but 3mm is a good rough guide. it was measured with verniers

you have to swap rod and piston, as the piston (edit: gudgeon, duh) pins are different, 1g is 20mm and 4k is 18 mm.

im pretty tired so its fairly breif, and no point boring you with shit, any questions, please ask, im willing to help

cheers, andrew
    MY RIDE, 2 Door LHD KE70 sedan with 1G HKS stroker: http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=51760

Punctuation is the difference between 'I helped my Uncle Jack off his horse' and 'I helped my uncle jack off his horse.'

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Default Re: 1ggte pistons and rods in 4k

the one thing i wanted to know was are the widths of the rods (ie, the space they take up in the crank) the same between the 4K and 1K rods?
    that 3mm is about what i hoped it would be

now if you can take 1.5-2mm off the deck.. almost perfect

i hope you have a spare set of rods for me
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

as in, the big end, how wide is it, it fits in the crank, might be a little wider than a 4k though, ill measure tomorrow if you want.

i dont think i have a spare set of rods at the moment, i still have one motor to pull down, but i think thats a turbo gen 3 aswell, so not the rods you want...
    probably find you some if you want though
    MY RIDE, 2 Door LHD KE70 sedan with 1G HKS stroker: http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=51760

Punctuation is the difference between 'I helped my Uncle Jack off his horse' and 'I helped my uncle jack off his horse.'

hmm, ok.. just wondering about side clearances etc.. but they use same bearings, so it is a good start the 4A ones are way thin in comparison.... but as long as these fit in, there is hope...

no worries, i will not be able to use any for a while... not until i get back in the country... until then, i'll just have to find turbo/SC parts..... well..more of them..
    but anyway, no rush.

i would hope.. that someone with a junk 4K will want to at least try to blow one up before i get to do it
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

the K series cranks have very generous fillets on the crank pins so the bearing contact does not cover the full width between the cheeks. if you end up with more than about 0.1mm clearance between the side of the rod and flanks of the crank, it will rattle and lose oil pressure. I can narrow conrods and sometimes widen cranks.

24.95 ish mm for both. using digital verniers.
    so i think you are in luck

faaaantastic....
    it just keeps looking better and better

so.. which turbo or SC?
    hmm, wonder if 6boosts rods will fit in K block?

Learner Driver Backyard Mechanic

Years ago we had a ste of good aftermarket pistons in our 1GGTE rally car,
    but it threw a rod eventually, and damaged two of the pistons.

I did actually have the rods and pistons in a 4K block and was nering completion of the engine project, but it was sold in favour of a turbo 4AGE setup so I never had it running,
    but yes they can fit in there.

Was so long ago now I dont remember much about it.
    Stripped it down and still have the rods and pistons somewhere.
    - KE70 Corolla Dx -
    - 500hp+ 7AGTE 20V turbo -
    - MRS/Hayabusa turbo **sold**
    - TA63 3TGTE project in the build -

go turbo

OC, if you have a look on rollaclub the same thread is kicking, and there is talk of doing it in a 5k. with 1g rods and 4a pistons
    seems the 4a pistons from the later engines run a 20mm gudgeon pin, and fit the 5k bore.
    not sure on rod length though. i dont have a 5k block anymore or a 4a piston, but i will measure up the rod to give an idea of if it will work...

what rods of 6BOOSTS do you speak of?

Toymods Tuner Backyard Mechanic Forcefed6's Avatar

6BOOST is organizing a group buy for parts to build a 2.2l 1G stroker. Along with this kit, one of the components is a set of H-Beam SPOOL rods. I think if people wanted to buy just some rods, he was able to accommodate that.
    Z10 Soarer - [email protected] ... 11's soon
    CHECK IT OUT HERE

mm, i just saw that thread, im pm'ing him now.

Quote Originally Posted by love ke70
    go turbo

OC, if you have a look on rollaclub the same thread is kicking, and there is talk of doing it in a 5k. with 1g rods and 4a pistons
    seems the 4a pistons from the later engines run a 20mm gudgeon pin, and fit the 5k bore.
    not sure on rod length though. i dont have a 5k block anymore or a 4a piston, but i will measure up the rod to give an idea of if it will work...

what rods of 6BOOSTS do you speak of?
    4K and 5K are same deck height. as far as i know.
    5K uses a 4K crank and it is stamped as such

5K, with 4AGZE pistons adn 1G rods will still need deck to be cut down 3mm...
    you still need to overbore 0.5mm to fit the 4A pistons...as a minimum

if i was building a serious 4k or 5K, i would get rods made up that were 3mm longer, so no need to deck the block.

the 4K thing is just to use cheap/free parts and break stuff
    and.. i don't have 8 5K blocks in my garage

Forum Sponsor Conversion King

Quote Originally Posted by 6BOOST
    ...added 3mm to the rod length to make the rod ratio better, and the higher pin height piston is lighter as well, it also gives less angularity on teh bore at BDC, which stops the piston pushing into the side of the bore as much to stop exactly what I've been talking about, splitting the block.
    Taken from 6BOOST's 1G stroker kit thread Here

if you want to build one these SPOOL rods will be PERFECT for your needs.

come on OC ... you know you want to (bonus is you get 4 rods for teh engine then 1 for your testing of metalurgy, and still have one for your keyring )

cheers
    linden
    Quote Originally Posted by WHITCHY
    Prefer someone around the Sydney area but will travel a few hours for a good box!

shit.......
    it was meant to be a cheap build

no backyard Domestic Engineer japlish's Avatar

this is kinda cool!
    i have a mate thats looking to turbo his stock 4k, and i'll have a spare 1gge soon...do i just slap it together or will i have to mess with the crank/deck the head? he's only lookin to run a max of 10psi?
    Destroyer of 'Drop Forged' spanners