Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A340 - manualised?

Junior Member Carport Converter SL666's Avatar

Default A340 - manualised?

okay, im officially confused, and probably dumb..

Can you fully manualise a A340? - i think the answer is yes

Can you do this with a manual valve body ?

Can you do this with a shift computer? - if so, how do you shift? with the shifter?

I apologise for these silly questions.. just putting together a plan of action for when i get my hilux going and find out the trans is toast..

Carless Grease Monkey

Default Re: A340 - manualised?

put it in L, 2, D with and without OD for 3rd and fourth,

If you are trying to make it manual, the gears are electronically shifted if you make a circuit which activate the solenoid according to your wish ( manual shifter) you can make it run as a manual.
    Last edited by Cressida91GLX; 12-02-2006 at 11:49 AM. Reason: awful english error!

To begin with, to manually shift an A340 you need control over the 2 shift solenoids in the box. To do this either use a 'shift box' which is a small unit that switches power to the solenoids depending on which gear you are in on the shifter. MV autos sell one, as does another bloke in Canberra (I think)

With the shift box in place the box is a full manual auto-you have to shift it yourself all the time.

You cannot mod the valvebody to do this, and there are no aftermarket 'manual' valvebodies available for the A340.

Now, heres some stuff I put up on the old forums which may help.

1. Manual shift transistor box. $180 or so-install yourself. (this means you can avoid possible headaches of getting the auto ECU working properly-often very hard when fitting later model engine/auto trans-This bit can cost a shitload if you have someone doing it for you) The MV box isn't a tiptronic/button type, it only hooks to the shifter and gearbox and doesn't specifically switch the OD or Lockup. You need to set that up yourself but they both only need to be 12V on/off. There IS someone who does the tiptronic setup though-he's on PERFORMANCEFORUMS-you can dig him up pretty easily if you post there.

2.Bigger transcooler-AN ABSOLUTE MUST WITH THESE BOXES-Anywhere from $20 to $200 depending on what you buy-you can also mount it away from the airflow if necessary by using a small fan strapped to the cooler. I've currently got two Dick Smith computer fans on mine and its mounted flat behind the headlight. (and it never gets hot)

3.Trans Temp indicator-$70-$300 (Ive got a cheap Splitfire one and it works a treat) Not mandatory, but good insurance if you are going to be giving it a hiding at times and you have spent some cash on the internals. Without one you run the risk of melting the guts of the box-and one good cooking is enough to fuck the fluid and fry all the friction material. Then keep driving it without knowing you've damaged it initially and you can start melting shit together (just like I did...=-).

4.Uprated valvebody-$300-$400 (from memory)this changes the actual shifts themselves. They become shorter and harder, reducing the time the box is slipping up into the next gear and heating up the clutchpacks. (heat is mainly what fucks auto clutch packs). The increased hydraulic system pressure in the valvebody also means that the gears are more tighty held.

5.Hi-stall Converter-$400-$500-an increased stall speed will give you better launches and neck snapping acceleration from slow speed due to the torque multiplication effect. It will thrash your fluid a bit more-but the trans temp guage and more trans cooling generally keeps it under control-if not, you just whack another trans cooler in. And on the open road you just hit the lock up and there's no slip in the converter to soak up fuel.

6.Full gearbox re-build for abuse...This is the last stop, and the biggest cost item $1500-$2000. This is all new friction materials, extra clutches for second gear (2nd gear is the weak link in the toyota (A340 etc) boxes), all new/upgraded thrust bearings/roller bearingsetc,machining to the actual trans case, other mods I can't remember. This is really only required when you start playing with bigish power levels and launching it with sticky rubber though. (I think around 400hp and up is the aviseable level) I'm currently pushing 700+nm through one and it hasn't missed a beat.

Anyway-there you have my complete rundown on the Toyota Auto option- maybe more info than you needed, but you get the whole picture then, (and once I started I figured I should finish it properly). I'm not an anti manual gearbox person, it's just that they aren't the best thing for some combos and can end up being pretty bloody expensive if you're aiming at big HP. One thing to remember with these sorts of conversions is to be very careful and plan what you are going to do before starting. Otherwise things get expensive(I've been there....) Doing it right to begin with will actually save you money.

Hope this helps
    Sean
    [email protected], WSID, COMPAK ATTAK, MAY 2006

Gobble, Gobble! Automotive Encyclopaedia mrshin's Avatar

You can save on the 'shift computer' by simply spending a few $ on some diodes, a little jiffy box, etc. and make yourself up something to do the same thing. You can also save on the uprated valve body by fiddling around with the innards yourself, but if you're not familiar with autos, it's better off buying one from MV.

JZ Powered Too Much Toyota EldarO's Avatar

Press the "Manu" button, as located on my centre console next to the shifter..?

Eldar.O.

Press the "Manu" button, as located on my centre console next to the shifter..?
    *SMACK!*

mrshin: after hearing what it does.. i wouldn't buy one i'd for sure knock something up

sean: awesome post dude, EXACTLY what i wanted to know is yours an MV box like pretty much everyone elses?

i remember seeing a controller from the states that you could program to either shift tiptronic style.. and you can actually program a few different shift styles.. i'll have a look round later and see if i can find it..

http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...9077#post49077 just in case anyone posting here can help with my fluid level dillemma

regular fella Conversion King chris davey's Avatar

Also, I have just found that for people with the gear indicator in the dash it is a little more complicated to wire. Waiting on a wiring diagram from Sean to sort my 4th gear and lockup out Blew the fuse when I wired the OD button in?
    Quote Originally Posted by MR 1JZ View Post
    that interior is so jap...just looking at it makes me want to kill a whale
    QUICKEST 1JZ'S IN OZ

heheh your a brave man.. i thought about the dash conversion.. for about 2 minutes...

It is better than a 1982 Rona one!
    QUICKEST 1JZ'S IN OZ

Hi mate-yeah, mine is an MV box with the works. They aren't anything exotic, just good friction material, new/extra bearings and a few other odds and sods. Given that mine is behind the 4.5L turbo, I suspect they will take virtually anything a 1J can dish out. Does your trans have a kickdown cable? (it's actually a line pressure cable).

As for the solenoid switching, get hold of a 7M cressida or supra manual and the solenoid on/off combinations are in there (ie-2 solenoids, 2 positions each, 2x2=4 possible combinations for 4 forward gears). It's pretty simple-I just chose an MV shift box as it was quick and easy.

Sean

PS-Chris-was there a blown fuse hiding in there?
    [email protected], WSID, COMPAK ATTAK, MAY 2006

Sean, that was my thought.. if its holding up behind your beast.. mind you.. im a complete c*nt to cars on occasion.. thats why im trying to build this things as bombproof as possible.. and yeah.. it does have the cable, but its broken

ive got the solenoid combo's somewhere, im hoping to use the standard computer for at least a little while, im just investigating all my options incase the box is already dead.. and what i need to be ready to do when i nuke it

SL666: on the thread that I did about how to install the shift box there is a link in the first post to what solenoids activate which gear
    QUICKEST 1JZ'S IN OZ

yeah THATS where i saw them then i memorised them just in case..

i still can't find the link i saw to the trans controller though... damnit... you could program different shift styles and everything...

AHA! victory is MINE!

this is the controller i was talking about..
    http://www.powertraincontrolsolution...content-4.html

not to nag, but anyone know how im going to figure out how much trans fluid to put in?