Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Toymods Mother club, Classic celicas, sub club

umop apisdn Chief Engine Builder twentyEight's Avatar

Default Re: Toymods Mother club, Classic celicas, sub club

OK, it seems that everyone is saying that they don't believe there needs to be a separate section (dedicated sub-section), but I think everyone is missing iBZ's point...

Ibz is not talking about the Forum!

It is my understanding that Ibz has come up with the idea of having a Classic Celica Club, and having it as part of the Toymods Car Club... So you could almost sign up (ie. Pay for a membership, not sign up to the forum) to the said Classic Celica Club, but still be classed as being a member of the Toymods Car Club as the Membership Fee would go to the same place...
    ([][][]II--LT--II[][][])

Green '77 RA28 Celica - VVTi V8 Goodness...

Toymods Club Member #194 Conversion King Lambolica's Avatar

Yeah, I get that, but as soon as I start running through any concept for a Sub-Club promoting it is one of the first items that comes up and that puts things back to the forum.

Toymods itself technically only exists in NSW, but the forums is what connects the Club with the Forum users. From a legal standpoint any cruises out of NSW are not under the juristriction of the club. (Josh Correct me it I'm wrong here.)

Toymods is growing and every year there are more interstate members (and International) joining and the club is doing its best to provide sponors Australia wide to make membership benificial for other states. Creating a Classic Celica sub branch would mean that it would still only exist in NSW. The question that Josh asked is what percived benifit comes from creating a Celica Club under toymods. NSW would be sweet but I don't see any benifit for the rest of the community except possibly a sub forum, which is where I started from.

I'm not sure if that makes sence or not. I'm not trying to knock the idea on the head, but some kind of plan needs to be put forward for discussion and I see that as starting from a forum community and building from there.

Cheers
    Simon
    Beige.... The new Black!!!

IWRNDU Automotive Encyclopaedia DQIKST's Avatar

thanks chow and twenty eight for understanding my point of view,

simon GT 28, whats the point of people paying $50 membership fee if they live intersate, they could have a few good post in the tech section and up they go past 30 rep points and on there way to full access of the forum, thats why i didnt want the forum, im not fussed about it,

im more than happy to be under the toymods banner but i would just like to see a classic celica meet date, a few cruises a year,

most people attened toymods events in there celicas why cant we have more cruises and events and special events for celica,

i know people like you and river would like to fetch top dollar for your cars, but if there isnt a big enough hype about them the prices wont go up as some think,
    ThE wOrLd GoEs RoUnD n RoUnD nOt Up N dOwN
    Daily 76' celica 1GGTE 1125kgs 13.7@ 91mph
    NOS= ITS LIKE A HOT CHICK WITH STD's YOU WANT TO HIT IT BUT ARE SCARED OF THE CONSEQUENCES

whats the gee-ooo with every one having chicks in there avatars
    1980RIP NATHAN BRETT DEAN2007,

IBz,

I understand what you want to do here, I also understand difficult it is to achieve without a plan.

Like I said, Toymods is growing to accomadate membership Australia wide, it is just early in the process. People Do pay $50 to be out of state members and the club is trying to accomodate that. Hell International people Pay for membership where there is very little to be gained except being part of the forums.

For the board to discuss somthing like this there needs to be some kind of plan that we can argue over. What I'm looking for is a plan to put forward in the agenda for discussion. If Josh has stated that the idea deserves further thought, the first thing would be to find out what it is the members want from such a move. from there if the results are viable, an action plan can be put in place to get things moving. At the moment starting a "Toymods Classic Celica Club" isn't a plan, it's an idea that needs further development.

iBz, I'll ask you this, I've clicked my fingers, and there is now a Toymods Classic Celica Club.
    Now What?
    How do you promote the club to get the word out?
    How do you organise Events Australia wide from NSW?
    How do you Promote that Celica Brand to get it into the realm of Monaro and GTHO's?
    How do you make membership benificial for the interstate guys?
    How do you operate, under Toymods, and not remove any value from the Greater Toyota Comunity of which you would be a part of?

These would be some of the questions that the board would raise. So ideas from the Toymods Community would be of an assistance.

Cheers
    Simon

Former User Conversion King Joshstix's Avatar

We need to recognise that there is quite an amount of work that goes into running a club and it is hard enough to get that work done to run the club we currently have. For us to look at putting in more work to support only a small portion of the people we currently do really has to be justified. So if I can't get answers to my initial questions then this discussion is moot.

1. What would the club be trying to acheive?
    2. How would this sub club be run?
    3. What benefit would this sub club provide to Celica owners over and above being a member of Toymods?
    4. What benefit would running a Celica sub club present to the rest of the Toymods community?
    5. How would running Classic Celica dedicated events not be divisive of other enthusiast groups?

Toymods Vice President Chief Engine Builder TheToyman75's Avatar

I have seen the title of this thread a dozen or so times now and keep avoiding it but I will weigh in with some preliminary thoughts and comments. These are MY views alone, not the Toymods Boards.

As a general rule I am against anything that further segregates the Toymods Car club.

The forums themselves are a big place with thousands of members from all walks of life and all over the globe. It works for allot of reasons and one of them is that you can be a part of it 24/7, no matter where you live or what you drive. Another part is that I beleive we have a set of forum sections that work and encourage people not to segregate to far into small sub groups and promote interaction. I know my entire social life revolves around the friends I have made though Toymods.

The Toymods Car Club itself is a much smaller entity, we enjoy a membership base of only 86 financial members (thats less than 1% of forum members) and struggle to maintain/renew each years members every year. Every year the Toymods Board is re-elected with little interest from members to become a part of it and those of us who have been on it for a while (Myself in particular) have considerable less free time to dedicate to the club than when we started. We (Toymods) currently has 1 event and 1 cruise each month for which attendance is minimal its not unusual to have an event where board members are the majority or even the only attendee's (There is a very real likely hood this will change next year to only one event or cruise each month due to lack of support)

Your probably wondering how this relates to a Celica sub group. The point is that the existing Toymods infrastructure strugles to cope each year and there is very little new assistance offered by new or existing poeple who have enough drive to make a difference and reduce the load or expand the club. The Classic Celica Cruise this year was one of the few events run by non board members and was a great success, as a result we have planned this as an offical event each year and hopefully it will be as well supported. If there is a clear need or desire for Toymods to host specific events we will always do our utmost to do it.

Rather than promoting a seperate club and segregating the small number of people who actually support whats in place now why not just encourage participation to what we have. If celica owners attended the existing events and cruises in any sort of number wouldn't it be just the same ? Toymods is only what you make of it

I honestly admire your drive Ibz and I have no problem with there being a dedicated Celica Club in Sydney, once apon a time I was going to start one myself but then I met this Luke Sheerman guy who had started this little Toymods group or 20 or so people and it seemed a silly idea to start a new one. For the record tho I don't discourage any clubs existance.

If starting a new Club doesn't pan out for you then I hope you can dedicate some time and effort to enhancing what is already available through Toymods because I would love to see a lot more celicas and there owners at the events we have now. I know you can do it and would make a keen ambassador for such a group if you have the time.
    If in time enough Celica owners did show up and support the existing events, and there was a person such as yourself who was willing to committ to organising things and running it then my personal board vote would then support a sub-chapter for Celica owners as long as it could be structured to compliment what we have now. And thats goes for any enthusiasts group within toymods (MR2's, KE Corolla's, mini trucks etc)

It just seems a shame that we can't all compliment the single goal we share and make our collective existance stronger and more secure. If each sub culture of Toymods encouraged its inner circle to attend whats around now Toymods the car club would be a much more active place.
    1971 2T-B Celica TA22 ST.
    1973 2T-G Celica TA22, aka "The Unicorn".
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT
    1976 2T-G Celica TA23, aka "The Colonel".
    1985 3F Auto FJ62 Landcruiser
    1989 7M-GTE MA70 Supra, aka "The Poopra"

History: Rods Classic Celica Sampler thread.

Purple is the new black! Automotive Encyclopaedia sillycar chick's Avatar

I signed up to the toymods forums purely for my celica interest. I am still here for that, but I have also found it to be a great community, and so many people are friendly and willing to help out. Ive made quite a few friends here, some whom I havent even had a chance to meet.

I am not a financial member for the simple reason that I do not live in NSW. This is a debatable topic in itself as there are many paying interstate members, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. I would put my money where my mouth is if QLDers were more recognised, ie I would be supported by Toymods in organising cruises and be covered as a legitimate club event. I know toymods aims to cover all toyota owners and not just celica owners, and on the past 2 celica cruises I have organised we have had a few different cars attend, even a nissan . Its a celica cruise but the more the merrier, everyone else is always welcome. Its not about segregation for us but getting a chance to go for a nice drive and perve on some hot cars. I always encourage new people I meet to sign up to toymods no matter what toyota they drive. If we could have our own legit cruises I would not only encourage signing up to the forums, but financial membership as well.

The truth is, as Pauljones mentioned, is we all congregate to the forums because its convenient. I myself work a 40hour week, study part time and manage to sqeeze in time to play with my car. Attending TCCQ meets up here is difficult hence why I havent joined there either. If I am this busy, imagine the people on here who have kiddies, and work even longer hours to pay a mortgage and afford the ever increasing living expenses? Some do find time for meetings but yes it can be hard, everyone is in a different boat.

Basically im just saying if Toymods would cover QLD events, organised by QLDers, I would pay the membership and encourage everyone else to as well. I havent asked the question myself becuase:

a) I appreciate the club for what it is and dont want to make it any harder for the guys and gals that run it, and
    b) I dont have much say when I havent paid the membership

My 5c worth anyways....
    51LII - 1972 TA22 Celica | Morpheous Metallic | 4AGE 20v Silvertop | Razorback ECU | W58
    Toyota Car Club (Qld)

Quote Originally Posted by TheToyman75 View Post
    There is not much hotter than a Freshly painted Celica, Unless its the reflection of a freshly painted Celica on a freshly painted Celica

Quote Originally Posted by Lambolica
    IBz,

I understand what you want to do here, I also understand difficult it is to achieve without a plan.

Like I said, Toymods is growing to accomadate membership Australia wide, it is just early in the process. People Do pay $50 to be out of state members and the club is trying to accomodate that. Hell International people Pay for membership where there is very little to be gained except being part of the forums.

For the board to discuss somthing like this there needs to be some kind of plan that we can argue over. What I'm looking for is a plan to put forward in the agenda for discussion. If Josh has stated that the idea deserves further thought, the first thing would be to find out what it is the members want from such a move. from there if the results are viable, an action plan can be put in place to get things moving. At the moment starting a "Toymods Classic Celica Club" isn't a plan, it's an idea that needs further development.

iBz, I'll ask you this, I've clicked my fingers, and there is now a Toymods Classic Celica Club.
    Now What?
    How do you promote the club to get the word out?
    How do you organise Events Australia wide from NSW?
    How do you Promote that Celica Brand to get it into the realm of Monaro and GTHO's?
    How do you make membership benificial for the interstate guys?
    How do you operate, under Toymods, and not remove any value from the Greater Toyota Comunity of which you would be a part of?

These would be some of the questions that the board would raise. So ideas from the Toymods Community would be of an assistance.

Cheers
    Simon
    1) the old skool way, word of mouth, flyers in peoples windscreen, alot of the members are already on toymods so it would be recruiting new members,

2) each state should have there own chapter, with a president or something and each year a car show, drag event of the sort should be held in every state and all chapters could work in conjuction with each too see when there members have the free time so every one can attened,

3) well if the celicas arent getting seen often they are never going to make a scene,
    a cruise down the croos to harrys in a big pack would make a nice view and spread the word out, a big turn out to WSID will also turn some heads, coffe on a thurday night at a nice cafe, something that makes it more than a club but more a bunch of mates with the same interests, get some shirts made up, probly get some one to talk too castle hill toyota or something to get some promotional gear happening at there store or toyota stores around NSW

4) have to get back to you on this one, as i do not know the actual cost of running a official club it would be hard to see how much to charge, if it wasn't too much im sure it could be covered by one chapter or a few members,

If it were too be under the toymods banner i would be more than happy to pay for the forum use,

kind of like a i scratch your back you scratch mine

5)i would opertate under the toymods banner "classic celica" and so i think it should be fair that other people get active and get there own chapter for there make or model of there car, that would only be fair if it were to be under the toymods banner,

then as sub clubs we could all help out each other, hold seperate events but should all attened official toymods events,

What would the club be trying to acheive?
    How would this sub club be run?
    What benefit would this sub club provide to Celica owners over and above being a member of Toymods?
    What benefit would running a Celica sub club present to the rest of the Toymods community?
    How would running Classic Celica dedicated events not be divisive of other enthusiast groups?
    i am trying to get more people and mainly the classic celica involvment in the toymods community more active, more appreciation for the classics, and more participation in the greater toymods car club

it could be run with a leading hand that controls that certian section but in still governed by the toymods board,

it would provide more events for people to attened, ( STITT your doin a great job mate ) it would also provide a wider involment of classic celica owners to get to geather and helo each other out,

i dont complety understand that question josh, ( im a plumber man,) but all i want is more people to get involved, weather it be under the toymods name or a celica name,

id be more than happy to jump onto the toymods board but i personally dont know about any other cars other than classic celicas, which i why this topic came about

whats divisive mean?? all i can say is this, if the classic celicas get the green light it would only be fair for the rest of the individual makes to get there own, but its up to the leading hand of that chapter to take the time out to orginise and prepare a well orginised year of events and things too keep the enthusiasts excited and interested,

I have seen the title of this thread a dozen or so times now and keep avoiding it but I will weigh in with some preliminary thoughts and comments. These are MY views alone, not the Toymods Boards.

As a general rule I am against anything that further segregates the Toymods Car club.

The forums themselves are a big place with thousands of members from all walks of life and all over the globe. It works for allot of reasons and one of them is that you can be a part of it 24/7, no matter where you live or what you drive. Another part is that I beleive we have a set of forum sections that work and encourage people not to segregate to far into small sub groups and promote interaction. I know my entire social life revolves around the friends I have made though Toymods.

The Toymods Car Club itself is a much smaller entity, we enjoy a membership base of only 86 financial members (thats less than 1% of forum members) and struggle to maintain/renew each years members every year. Every year the Toymods Board is re-elected with little interest from members to become a part of it and those of us who have been on it for a while (Myself in particular) have considerable less free time to dedicate to the club than when we started. We (Toymods) currently has 1 event and 1 cruise each month for which attendance is minimal its not unusual to have an event where board members are the majority or even the only attendee's (There is a very real likely hood this will change next year to only one event or cruise each month due to lack of support)

Your probably wondering how this relates to a Celica sub group. The point is that the existing Toymods infrastructure strugles to cope each year and there is very little new assistance offered by new or existing poeple who have enough drive to make a difference and reduce the load or expand the club. The Classic Celica Cruise this year was one of the few events run by non board members and was a great success, as a result we have planned this as an offical event each year and hopefully it will be as well supported. If there is a clear need or desire for Toymods to host specific events we will always do our utmost to do it.

Rather than promoting a seperate club and segregating the small number of people who actually support whats in place now why not just encourage participation to what we have. If celica owners attended the existing events and cruises in any sort of number wouldn't it be just the same ? Toymods is only what you make of it

I honestly admire your drive Ibz and I have no problem with there being a dedicated Celica Club in Sydney, once apon a time I was going to start one myself but then I met this Luke Sheerman guy who had started this little Toymods group or 20 or so people and it seemed a silly idea to start a new one. For the record tho I don't discourage any clubs existance.

If starting a new Club doesn't pan out for you then I hope you can dedicate some time and effort to enhancing what is already available through Toymods because I would love to see a lot more celicas and there owners at the events we have now. I know you can do it and would make a keen ambassador for such a group if you have the time.
    If in time enough Celica owners did show up and support the existing events, and there was a person such as yourself who was willing to committ to organising things and running it then my personal board vote would then support a sub-chapter for Celica owners as long as it could be structured to compliment what we have now. And thats goes for any enthusiasts group within toymods (MR2's, KE Corolla's, mini trucks etc)
    Rod every one that is on the board lives around the hills area, so the church were meetings are held, is pretty convenient for all the board members,

i understand toymods is what you make of it, and this was my little eye opener,

im always promoting the club, got a new person hopfully coming to the next meeting that i meet buying lock nuts, its not a celica, its a 1JZ chaser,

i belive i could orginise a sub chapter but before i commit myself to anything i would have to sit down and plan a years worth of events, and group buys and discounts at various shops and products before anything is concrete,

when i 1st started this thread, it had no thought, untill simon ( GT28) started posting,

I had a post whore like OC talking crap when i already had been told by josh that it wasn't acceptable,

im going to put futher thought into this, and maybe next meeting or the one after i could present a detailed programme at what i would like to achive, if it works with conjuction with the toymods board we could have futher talks from there, if it doesnt im happy to throw the idea in the bin and continue to be a happy loyal toymods member.
    NOS= ITS LIKE A HOT CHICK WITH STD's YOU WANT TO HIT IT BUT ARE SCARED OF THE CONSEQUENCES

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

post whore? you just ignore everything anyone says..

first and foremost, you should think about liability.
    who will pay for liability insurance?

"divisive" means, basically, to do something to divide things up.
    ie, to divide the club into seperate sections..
    http://cancerweb.ncl.ac.uk/cgi-bin/omd?divisive

most people don't have time or effort to go to ANY events. To expect them to attend the celica events AND all the toymods "official" functions would be too much to ask.

the concept of having a happy land where celicas can play is great.. and i really mean that... but what YOU should be thinking about is the backbone structure. ie, liability, who puts in the time, who is financially accountable. as said you also need to think about how having a sub-club as part of toymods, will help toymods itself. toymods is for ALL toyota car modifiers... how will it help?

actually, i understood what you meant from your first post
    what you are asking for is a club-like structure, with no responsibility (ie, have it as a "sub club" of toymods).

as i said beofre, there is ntohing stopping you from doing all the things you want to do.. just without a toymods banner... which you don't want anyway.. you want a classic celica banner (and fair enough). people organised get togethers before internet and before clubs
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

thanks OC, reason for the post whore name was, you posted things that wernt really relavant to what i was asking ,

Joshstix, what i am trying to achive is more a classic celica meet up for a coffe or lunch or cruise on a saturday night,

so it wouldnt divide the club at all it would just give the celica owners from nsw more chance to get there cars cruising, and having a yarn with other people who have the same interests,

OK iBz, now we are getting somewhere.

2. problems I see so far. I'll come back and further develop you ideas once I fix the car.

1. if you were to Start a sub club it would be sydney based, Like Toymods. So the rest of Australia is no better off.

2. To start the celica club chapters in other states, Toymods would need a presence in those states first. This can be done it is just very time consuming to start up. The main stumbling block I see here is the PI insurance. I don't wish to go too far into the clubs financials but I have recently been involved in a similar club going Australia wide from brisbane based at work. The PI insurance jumped from a few thousand to over $15,000 for the coverage required.

So using that number (may or may not be similar in our case) The club has to pay $15,000 per year, Toymods would need approx. 1000 financial members to cover just the insurance costs. Granted that the "Official events" often generate money as well as dyno days etc. (Note The actual numbers may vary greatly)

Again I'm not wanting to stop the idea cold, I'm trying to provide an insight on the inner workings. I'm sure the individual Members would like to see Toymods go Aust wide. but currently I doubt the club has the backing to do so with out the member numbers to back it. The reason i keep comming back to the forums is that the internet is probably the most powerful promotinal tool as well as word of mouth. I see Toymods going Aust wide eventually but this will be through organic growth of the forums attracting members/sponsors and forum users. The rules in place are to allow this type of growth and we are trying to get more national sponsors in place to more towards the possability of going National.

I still think that creating a Dedicated (insert toyota models) community within The Toymods forums that adds value to the community as a whole will achieve a similar goal to what you want. I see that as the first step to Toymods going National and any sub forums created from it.

I'll be happy to sit down and spitball ideas around the table iBz..

Cheers
    Simon

simon,

why does a club need insurance, shouldn't the members have insurance of there own,

what does toymods insurance cover??? its like me orginising a cruise, every one that attends has there own insurance,

ill hold you on that offer, when i get my car back it would have to be a georges pizza night

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

http://www.portphillip.vic.gov.au/pu...insurance.html
    http://www.ruralandgeneral.com.au/co...-insurance.php

every "organisation" needs to have insurance. this is so that if someone gets injured, or something gets damaged whilst involved in the organisations activities, then the organisation is covered against being sued...

this could be as simple as a kid burning their hand on a car clubs BBQ and needing surgery... the parents can sue club... club has to pay damages.. even churches and religious groups need insurance against the public .. dance schools.. people that organise protest marches, people holding pottery classes in the park...

basically... it is insurance to protect the members of the club/group, and the club/group itself, from being sued by a member of the public, for something that happened that was related to the club. whilst most (but not all) people have car insurance, public liability covers almost all possible problems....

if YOU organise a cruise.. and someone in that cruise doesn't have insurance.. and then crash into something like a shop.. the shop can sue YOU because the car wouldn't have been there if you hadn't organised the cruise.. that sort of thing....
    or even stupid shit like someone squashes their finger in your car door when the car is "on show" at an event... your car insurance doesn't cover that. but public liability insurance does...

however... if you meet up with a bunch of celica owners at say.. a cafe for a bit of tucker and a chat... there is no need for insurance.... but if you drive off as an "organised" group of 10 or 20 cars... then you will need insurance (well.. is better to incase something happens )

up until X years ago, public liability insurance was not so common or expensive... then the ambulance chasing lawyers got worked up and insurance got very expensive*

*may or may not be true
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

OC pretty much covers it. Even the meetings are covered in case someone stubs a toe. You'll find that if you ask your employer they'll have it over the employees and clients that enter their premisis.

This is and always will be the big hurdle and it only takes one "Car" related event to push the premiums skyward.

But that is no reason to drop the idea. just a big thing to get around.

Cheers
    Simon

My wife loves a Grease Monkey pauljones1976's Avatar

Why don't you (DQIKST) start a poll to find out who is willing to pay $$$ to become part of such a club? Research has always been the most crucial factor behind any of my business dealings. You often find out what you don't want to hear....

I certainly wouldn't join at $25-50 a pop (which is the bare minimum you could possibly charge to cover the costs with 1000 members I'd think). Interest rates go up again soon, as will all other things based on the inflation figure. Even though I'll get a tax cut care of the election, I doubt my wage will keep up (again) so I'll be cutting back on a few extras.

The financial hurdle (in my opinion) is the greatest barrier of all...

If I were you DQIKST I'd probably be trying to organise a cruise FOR/UNDER Toymods with a special focus on CELICAS or 1st Gens or whatever you are passionate about.

I'm assuming you are a paid member of Toymods?

Put the effort in, provide incentives (build it and they will come).

Just my 2c.

Cheers,
    -Paul.
    "If you keep fixing it for long enough, eventually it WILL break."

- RA28 3TGTE - I sold it. Bad idea. www.glisten.net.au/celica/index.htm
    - RA23 3TGTE - 168rwkw 12.9sec Toffee Apple [URL="http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/threads/26625-RA23-3TGTE-168rwkw-12-9sec-Toffee-Apple?p=561925#post561925[/URL]