Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: newbie from scotland

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice elbak67's Avatar

Default newbie from scotland

Hi my name is davieand i live in glasgow Scotland , iv been reading your forums for a while and thought i better introduce myself. i recently managed to get a hold of a ra28 gt with a 1ggte engine. these cars are really rare over here especially ones free from the old tin worm.
    My original plan was to get a gt and restore and rebuild the 18rg as i have done this before with a ra23 i had 15 years ago but that all changed when i got the 1g. I didnt know anything about this engine(niether did any mechanics i know) until i found this site. The car is very solid , its got standard twin turbos,disk brakes all round, adjustable suspension and 3inch ss exhaust.Im lucky all these things are in place as they had been budgeted for in the build which now means i have some extra cash to thro at paint and engine upgrade.Plans for the car are

new single turbo
    head polished
    lightened flywheel
    rebore and new pistons(if i can get them)
    18 1nch wheels (trying to find wheel arch extensions is a bit of a nightmare)
    new interior
    paint it and enjoy it!

the car i think came from Australia as the conversion was done by foursnmore and might be known to some of you.Thanks for taking the time
    davie (Il post some pics when i work out how to do it)

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Default Re: newbie from scotland

Sounds like you scored a deal.

Any reason for the rebore? It's rare for a 1G to require this unless it's been badly abused.

sorry for taking so long to reply but my pc got a virus but its ok now. the reason for the rebore was mainly peace of mind as i am going to renew all gaskets it seamed a good oppertunity to do it but once the engine is out i can have a look at the cylinders. its good to know they are strong engines. i have just found out the car probably came from south oz as the conversion was done by foursnmore who are based in south oz which is probably why the car is so solid and free from rust !!!!!! im just in the process of finishing my workshop ,just the ramps to be converted from 3 phase to single as my days of lying under cars on cold wet nights are well behind me! i can then start to strip her down and decide how to get s many ponnies out of the engine as i can without blowing the budget to much. i have been reading through some old threads and the information on this site will be of great help(god bless the internet) i just found out that there are differant gens of 1g engine and i am trying to suss out which one i have. i read that a grey plug into the ecu and a yellow into the inlet suggests its a 3rd gen , i have grey into the brain but the inlet looks a luminus green\yellow so im not sure but apparently there is markings on the bell housing which will tell me what gen it is so i will just wait till the engine and box are out. im getting some new photos as i lost all mime when the pc crashed and i will post them soon
    cheers davie

one darn good lookin' Grease Monkey psi_guy's Avatar

Welcome to the site mate I bet that car is a rare find in your corner of the world!

This thread will probably prove very useful to you (It's full of 1G-GTE technical information: wiring diagrams, torque settings etc. also how to identify your generation of engine)

The "Conversions" section you've posted is very technical focused, and perhaps not the best for introductions. You may wish to introduce yourself in greater detail/start a 'members-ride' thread in this section of the forums, and post pictures of the car here. Many people have got thorough details of their cars there, and you'll find heaps of helpful stuff there. There are loads of people on here with 1G-GTE conversions in their RA23/28's, so lots of support. There is also a search tool on the red menu bar above, it'll become your best friend.

Cheers
    Last edited by psi_guy; 24-10-2007 at 12:22 AM.

Thanks for the links they will be very helpful , These cars are very rare here especialy solid ones but there are a few dedicated people keeping them alive. Most of the 28s are 18r or 18rg and mine is probably the only 1g in the uk (hopefully a few more soon)The 22s are more popular for conversions with a rover v8 being the prefered choice. A few 28s are being imported from Japan but most need a lot of work and prices start at £3000. Theres a stanard ra25 import in original condition going for 15000 pounds!!!! It makes mine seem like a steal at 41/2 and once the work is done it will be hopefully worth a good bit more although im not doing it for the money , im doing it because i love these cars! My 28 came from Oz in 2005 and some work was done by foursnmore who recently sent me an email with info on the car. 170+rwkw @17psi low 13 1/4 at 108mph although when i look through the dyno results on this site i think that these figures might be a bit quick when i see more powerful 28s results. I'll post some pics of it at the foursnmore workshop back in04 ,i'm sure someone on the site will recognise it and i'll stick in a couple of it now. Thanks again for the advice
    davie

umop apisdn Chief Engine Builder twentyEight's Avatar

([][][]II--LT--II[][][])

Green '77 RA28 Celica - VVTi V8 Goodness...

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic cptsideways's Avatar

I've gotta see this beast next time I'm your way, always up at Lanark for events & shows. I've some 1G gaskets here if you need em, free if you want em. Inlets/exhaust & stuff.
    Sliding his D1 Soarer around the UK

Party Animal Supreme Too Much Toyota MR 1JZ's Avatar

foursnmore are in SA...they do very good work

what colour is the car mate?

I couldnt read it written anywhere
    Project Soarer II - Sold
    Evo 5 - The silver fruitbox
    "I'm the man who has the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than f**k. So that is why i am better than everyone in the world. Kiss my ass and suck my dick... everyone."

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16125727@N04/

MR 1JZ the work they did was first class (crossmember, exhaust, intercooler) the owner of the car did a lot of work to and he did a great job as well.The car was painted when it arrived in the UK (see the link above) but was painted met light green in SA which was really nice but it will be changing again soon!

CPT your more than welcome to have a look next time your up here ,just let me know.
    I am intending to strip the engine so gaskets would be handy . if you know of any suppliers in the UK for 1g parts you can let me know.

cheers lads

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic rob1's Avatar

nice looking '28 elbak. good luck with it. My brother is over your way but said t and r series celicas are rare as rocking horse shit.

Thanks mate, they are rare especially rust free ones,but there are a few kicking about if you look hard enough and prepared to do a bit of running about.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Hash_ra23's Avatar

170rwkw is very good for a stock 1g! If your injector plugs are alternating lime green and brown, you have ureself a gen 3. It sounds like a gen 3 to me.

Are you sure its a GT though? GT's were never sold in aus and most are gt replicas.

edit: just looked at pics. isnt that snyper's (on theses forums) old car?? Is the green one thats painted red?or are they two different cars?
    Last edited by Hash_ra23; 28-10-2007 at 12:38 PM.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia Alchemist's Avatar

Can't help you out technically as I've got a JZ engined car, but just wanted to say that's one hot looking Celica, makes me miss my old TA23

Keep us updated with pics and specs!

livin on the edge as a Grease Monkey Snyper's Avatar

hmm......... memories.....
    see avatar

Brendon
    Daily - Prado 90series
    Work - T908 620hp Cummins ISX
    Shed - 1975 TA22 2TG

Party Animal Supreme Too Much Toyota MR 1JZ's Avatar

ahhh I thought it might have been your old car brendan...the 4s and more + 1G RA28 gave me a point in that direction...
    Project Soarer II - Sold
    Evo 5 - The silver fruitbox
    "I'm the man who has the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than f**k. So that is why i am better than everyone in the world. Kiss my ass and suck my dick... everyone."