Thread: Diff hum in AE86

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Diff hum in AE86

I've just replaced all the bearings in the Scorpion diff in my Sprinter and it hums. Do I have any options other than throw the lot away and get a Hilux LSD?
    Robert

what? Automotive Encyclopaedia EVOSTi's Avatar

Default Re: Diff hum in AE86

what made you think it was a bearing? maybe its the pinion/crown wheel allignment.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

bearings not replaced tru to the housing?
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

To evosti, It was an old diff that had not been apart before and it made increasingly bad noises in reverse on over-run with a lot of backlash.
    To oldcorollas, bearings fitted correctly, I've been a fitter for 45 years.
    Thanks for your interest fellas
    Robert

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

I tend to agree with Evo's suggestion. Have the crown/pinion meshing/backlash setup properly (if you can't do it yourself). This or even badly worn gears will cause a shocking whine. And if it goes away at the balance point between accelerating and engine braking then I'd definitely point the finger at the gears.

Hen
    I need a working 4AGE bottom end. Pref smallport GZE, but all others considered. Also complete motors.
    Drift Volvo. Was fun. 2JZ next time.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robert1
    To evosti, It was an old diff that had not been apart before and it made increasingly bad noises in reverse on over-run with a lot of backlash.
    To oldcorollas, bearings fitted correctly, I've been a fitter for 45 years.
    Thanks for your interest fellas
    Robert
    so.. it may have been worn a bit with shitty adjustment.. now it has been put back together correctly with correct backlash... perhaps it just needs time to wear the teeth in again... or they are already gone.

is the hum from bearings or teeth? is the housing bent? axles bent? did the hum only start after changing bearings? if so, what else changed...
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Hen and others,
    the hum does go away when the foot comes off the pedal (on overrun) the old diff made noise since I bought it at Pick and Payless 6 years ago, I just got around to doing something about it so the gears are probably worn a bit by now. I will pull it out again and check the mesh pattern with blue which I should have done in the first place but it went together easily and the backlash seemed ok.
    Do any of you fellas know what the preload is on the crownwheel bearings. It has the threaded adjusters to preload the bearings. I left them where they were but if I need to adjust the mesh then they will need to be moved. I guess if I move each side by the same amount then the preload should stay the same.
    Robert

what? Automotive Encyclopaedia EVOSTi's Avatar

i dont know what the setting is but i always mark where it was, then turn it maybe as much as 1/4 tighter when i put it back together depending how long its been since it was last appart.