Thread: 22R -> 4A-GE Celica conversion

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 22R -> 4A-GE Celica conversion

First, you have to forgive me, I'm a little ignorant. Here in north america, the A60 (A63, A64, A65) chassis came with one motor, a 22R(E), (ok, maybe a 21RC too). We didn't get any T series, S series, or A series motors.

Anyways, the 22R-E is reliable as hell, but it's no fun. I really want a twincam motor. But, Importing something like an 18R-GE, or 3T-GTE would be too expensive. So, I've been toying with the idea of a 4A-GE (or maybe GZE) swap into the Celica.

Seeing as how an AA60 chassis DOES exist, I'm thinking that I can snag some motor mounts off of some aussie, ship them over here, get a A-W bellhousing to mount up to my W58 (I hear these are more or less custom though), grab a 4A-GE from the junkyard for nothing, and have fun.

Does this sound reasonable?

Junior Member Domestic Engineer ill-minded's Avatar

Default Re: 22R -> 4A-GE Celica conversion

hate to put a spanner in the works, but a 4AGE in an xA6x chassis is probably going to be worse than the 22RE cause theres going to be a whole lot of nothing when you put your foot down. the 4AGE's are designed for a lighter chassis (like 1000kg.. or ~2200lbs) and lack the torque to propel a heavier car like the xA6x celica's which are closer to like 1200kg.

the other problem is that the AA60 celica's only came out in japan as far as i know. australia only ever got the SA60/SA63/RA60/RA65 which came with the 2SC, 21RC or 22RE like you guys in the states. and i doubt there were many AA60's made so trying to find a crossmember would probably be pretty hard in itself. so you'd basically be left with fabricating your own engine mounts etc.

the more popular engine swap into the xA6x chassis is the 1GGTE out of the GZ10, GZ20 soarers and the GA70 supra. its a pretty straight swap and theres a bit of info floating around here on to give you an idea. the other alternative is to rwd convert a 3SGTE which is a bit more of a challenge, but possibly more rewarding in the long run as its easier to get parts for the 3S's than it is the 1G's. both of these options are twin-cam and should be relatively easy to procure though.

all that aside, if you're still set on putting a 4AGE in an xA6x then you'd probably want to look at the GZE or building a GTE cause it would be gutless in N/A form otherwise.

hope that helps put things into perspective

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

being in the US, why not put a RWD-configured V6 there? mods to V6 engines seem to be far more popular in the US than and so there's a bucket load of performance bits available to you.
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

Quote Originally Posted by thechuckster
    being in the US, why not put a RWD-configured V6 there? mods to V6 engines seem to be far more popular in the US than and so there's a bucket load of performance bits available to you.
    What sort of V6 did you have in mind? It's an idea.

2VZ-FE or 3VZ-FE if on a budget, otherwise a later model MZ - you'll need to fabricate an adaptor plate if you can't find motor+gearbox from RWD setup.

See GT's thread about adaptor plate for MZ/VZ V6-s but instead of using a W50 box+ bellhousing, you get the 21/22R-to-W5x bellhousing from a suitable donor vehicle and attach a W58 to it.
    Last edited by thechuckster; 25-09-2007 at 09:36 PM. Reason: swapped/fixed engine codes becuase i am a tool

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

DO NOT PUT ANYTHING WITH LESS THAN 2litre CAPACITY INTO THIS CAR

or it will be incredibly homosexual

that is all

my pick 1jz but probably not practical

my number 2 pick 22re + turbo
    David

Cusco camber tops available for all early mac strut

Well, I already had a 1JZ in another car, I wanted to go a different route.

It sounds like everyone is against a 4A. The idea is to turbo this 22R, but I have a feeling that with me behind the wheel, it won't last, so I'm trying to decide what I may do in the future. I was sort of thinking 2RZ, but I like the V6 idea all of the sudden. 3VZ seems like it could be fun.

Forum Sponsor Conversion King

Quote Originally Posted by thechuckster
    3MZ-FE if on a budget, otherwise a later model VZ - you'll need to fabricate an adaptor plate if you can't find motor+gearbox from RWD setup.
    please let me know where i can get 1 of these CHEAP 3mz motors (out of an 04 onwards kluger).
    the vz series would be cheaper and easier, id go for a 5vz out of a tacoma, not sure which box they run but im sure something can be sorted out.

3400cc quadcam with tugh internals that you could turbo later and easily get 500hp out of.

cheers
    linden
    Quote Originally Posted by WHITCHY
    Prefer someone around the Sydney area but will travel a few hours for a good box!

linden: i think the US would have greater supply of V6 engines at wreckers than us? as for actual price i really dont know .. as for which is cheaper (MZ or VZ) which ever one has the cast-iron block would be cheaper - perhaps i meant VZ, was late at night when i posted.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer Pube's Avatar

I dont think a 4age would be so bad. Id built a 20V 7age though maybe with a snail on it. Would make a good balance and with a turbo, close to 200rwkw?
    SOLD : 1GGTE Rt142 Corona - Twin TD04-9b turbos - 180rwkw = 13.1 @105mph

Forum Sponsor Conversion King

vz series are the cast iron blocks, 3vz being camry 3L and the 5vz being the prado 3.4L

mz engines are great but expensive, even in the states. the 3mz being a kluger/highlander vvti 3L would be great but there around au$4k.

pube: i think 1600-1800cc engines wouldn't have the lowdown that this car would require (the reason i pulled the 3s out of my z10 which is roughly the same weight)

for comparison the std 3sgte will get owned by a std 3vz in power and torque up to 6000rpm after which the 3s makes only a smidge more.

cheers
    linden
    Quote Originally Posted by WHITCHY
    Prefer someone around the Sydney area but will travel a few hours for a good box!

thanks linden - VZ it should have been...