Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any ideas for my Ke20?

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Any ideas for my Ke20?

After owning my Ke20 now for 7 years, I have finally decided to (and have the money and time) out in a little effort and re-embark on the dream that was reason enough for me to buy the car... which is to have a good looking small car

I'm hoping I can get a little help\advice. I have little knowledge about cars, but am more than willing to learn and increase my knowledge and skills. So far, this is how she stands...

She has been garaged since the day I have brought her. Besides a few dints, there is very little rust in her and her overall exterior condition is surprising. Recently I have given the motor a service and replaced the pitman arm (which was totally buggered). I'm in the middle of purchasing another Ke20 which has severe body damage, but has other parts I'm hoping to switch over to my corolla (front disc brakes to replace my Drum's, other bits and pieces).

I was hoping whoever reads this could suggest possible mods for my corolla engine/running gear. I have just only started to read about the legendary 4AGE series motors, and these seem very appealing, but my lack of knowledge and whats involved exactly is annoying me. Could somebody suggest what would be best suited to my corolla? I know thats a very open ended question (I'm sure the possibilities are endless). I guess what I'm asking for is what I should be considering.

Any help would be good.

Thanks in advance

Blasphemist Chief Engine Builder Bananaman's Avatar

Default Re: Any ideas for my Ke20?

Well, you're going to need to start off by stating your budget, and how much of the work you're capable of doing yourself.

If you're planning on an engine swap don't waste your time with standard ke20 front discs, you will need better.
    KE20 CA18DET / RN25 12R / IS200 1G / NA MX5 B6

7M-BHGE Automotive Encyclopaedia

Can i suggest, u do body work and nice paint before you bother with a new engine?
    Quote Originally Posted by skiddz
    deodorised fish oil = winnnaaaaaa, goodness of teh fishz but with out the smellz

Quote Originally Posted by Screamn_Sleeka
    Can i suggest, u do body work and nice paint before you bother with a new engine?
    Is this for ease of spray painting the shell? I was kinda hoping to drive it around and work on it on the weekends. As for a budget, I guess $5k (is this realistic).

Can understand with the brakes, which is the reason for my post. I was thinking it was probably worth putting my money towards something else. I have rang a few brake places but no-one could help me with what was available besides the stockies (guess I would need an idea as to what I'm running, then figure out suitable brakes).
    Last edited by bboy_h; 14-08-2007 at 10:06 PM.

Zub Zub Domestic Engineer Gavatron's Avatar

Your could do the Corona/Peugeot/Hilux conversion. I'm doing it to my KE30 and heaps of people on here have already done it.

Wanna see this '20 looking schmick Chris
    || 91 MX83 Cressida Grande 1JZGTE - Daily || 84 MA61 Supra 2JZGE - Track ||

Quote Originally Posted by Screamn_Sleeka
    This would surely be the wrong order, if you do an engine conversion and brake upgrade, you WILL scratch / ding your nice new paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavatron
    Your could do the Corona/Peugeot/Hilux conversion. I'm doing it to my KE30 and heaps of people on here have already done it.

You can't do the corona/pug/hilux on standard ke20 lower control arms and steering arms. Heaps of people have done it, but not to ke20s.

Simpler would be to use a complete R31 strut and brake setup (change spring perches etc, bolts on to lower control arm), or if you're going overboard, then copy my R31 strut / R32 brakes option.

chrome is good Backyard Mechanic RO11LR's Avatar

g'day bboy , i am currently putting a 4age in my ke25 which was supposed to take only a couple of months , well a year and a half later it's getting towards the done part but can i suggest get the money first , one thing that has slowed my progress alot is the waiting for finances and when i get a bit of money together something more important comes up to spend it on , $5000 would probably do a no-frills conversion , depends on what the engineers down in SA want you to do ? and how much work you do yourself .

Senior ****** Carport Converter Sam_Q's Avatar

I am with the other guys, change the brakes and suspension followed by the engine changes and lastly paint

Quote Originally Posted by Gavatron

Gavie! I'm l'm loving the Crown. This is the sort of car my Dad talks about all the time. As for my Ke20 looking schmick... hell yeah. I'm learning heaps too, and really enjoying it. Bet you didnt know I had this lil bean did you

Quote Originally Posted by Bananaman
    This would surely be the wrong order, if you do an engine conversion and brake upgrade, you WILL scratch / ding your nice new paint.

You can't do the corona/pug/hilux on standard ke20 lower control arms and steering arms. Heaps of people have done it, but not to ke20s.

Simpler would be to use a complete R31 strut and brake setup (change spring perches etc, bolts on to lower control arm), or if you're going overboard, then copy my R31 strut / R32 brakes option.

The R31 strut and brake setup sounds very appealing, though I have know idea how much that would cost and whats involved. Any chance you could give me some more information Bananaman? Any help would be great and very much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by RO11LR
    g'day bboy , i am currently putting a 4age in my ke25 which was supposed to take only a couple of months , well a year and a half later it's getting towards the done part but can i suggest get the money first , one thing that has slowed my progress alot is the waiting for finances and when i get a bit of money together something more important comes up to spend it on , $5000 would probably do a no-frills conversion , depends on what the engineers down in SA want you to do ? and how much work you do yourself .
    I know all about money issues. She has sat for seven years and has only now had the TLC she deserves. I hope to be able to do the majority of the work myself. My Dad is a retired Mechanic and has no problems what so ever doing whatever it is that needs to be done. He is a great help and a huge book of knowledge. I have spent a few weeks just working weekends on her (much to my Girlfriends dismay) and she is about 95% drivable, and is looking good. I'm really interested the the R31 break and strut upgrade as the rear drums need new shoes, and every time I use the breaks I feel like a cat, and that I have used another one of my 9 lives (and they are getting thin).

Please post back any more comments/suggestions. The thread laid dormant for a long while. Thought I had posted in the wrong forum

sir Grease Monkey

i,m going to get shitcaned for this but get yourself a silvia half cut with a ca18 det in it ,then cut/shut and wack it all in your bus . even with a new head gasket and a t28 it will still leave you enough bullion to chuk a bucket of jam over it. cheers bigwad

......................... Carport Converter

I have put a 4age in my old 25 from scratch. It costed me around 4k, and thats just running. Didn't include engineering or a paintjob or a professional conversion either! But i did learn a lot!
    At the moment i am putting a 4agze in a ke20. Well i bought it in pieces but it had been together before. So it SHOULD be a bit easier, but i am slowly finding out it isn't . Plan what you wanna do, get the money together then do it. As RO11LR said, get the money together first or it will take a lot longer!
    Bardin(Bananaman) is putting a CA18 in his ke20, but he is going for the super duper build up! So there are a few conversions going around!
    Hope u work it out,
    Cheers
    MIc

Quote Originally Posted by Megz
    I have put a 4age in my old 25 from scratch. It costed me around 4k, and thats just running. Didn't include engineering or a paintjob or a professional conversion either! But i did learn a lot!
    At the moment i am putting a 4agze in a ke20. Well i bought it in pieces but it had been together before. So it SHOULD be a bit easier, but i am slowly finding out it isn't . Plan what you wanna do, get the money together then do it. As RO11LR said, get the money together first or it will take a lot longer!
    Bardin(Bananaman) is putting a CA18 in his ke20, but he is going for the super duper build up! So there are a few conversions going around!
    Hope u work it out,
    Cheers
    MIc
    Have read over your posts Megz, in particular your Ke20 thread, and am loving it It's just the inspiration I need. Can I ask how much a 4AGZE costs, and what it is exactly that comes with it? What's involved with the conversion, and where does all the cost some into play? Is it the parts or labor etc? Does the motor just "bolt on" or what?

Slowly but surely I'm working on her bit by bit. Doing the heaps of little jobs first that I can do comfortably and easily. I really wanna look more into the R31 brake and strut conversion... think I'm gonna PM Bananaman

May as well reply in here. I haven't done a thread yet on this, but have posted a few times about it, if you look for posts by me about this, i think the most detailed was in a ke25 brake upgrade thread.

If you just want to upgrade to R31, which are 250mm vented it would seem (versus 200mm solid i think ke20 stock is?) then its fairly easy. The cheapest way to go about it would be to get yourself complete R31 struts (wouldn't expect this to be much more than around $150 for both), and swap the spring seat from your stock strut onto the r31 tube, and get suitable lowered /upgraded springs etc. I can't help with what length to shorten the r31 strut to or what shock to use to suit that length, as we're yet to work that out for mine, and i'm using a height adjustable coilover sleeve kit.

In terms of bolting it to the steering arm, the bolt pattern is the same. However, the ke20 steering arm has locators, which give it a bit of extra shear strength. The r31 strut won't accomodate this. The dodgy solution would be to grind off the locators, but the preferred option is to drill out some of the thread in the bottom of the strut to allow for it to sit over the locators. This will still leave enough thread to bolt up as per normal, but if you're not happy with it then run a longer bolt and put nuts on top.

This should be enough to stop the car well (with a suitable master cylinder upgrade), as well as pass engineering for a 4agze i should think (check this with engineer though). I've gone all out with mine and chose to use R32 280mm discs and 4 piston calipers, with 5 stud z31 hubs and an off the shelf caliper adapter. This is a shitload more expensive, but i thought i may as well go all out to start with, rather than inevitably tinker with it later

The Evil Director Backyard Mechanic jfallen's Avatar

The 4AGE swap can be good value, I'm doing one into my RT40 corona at the moment, using twin solex's and a megajolt to control ignition.

Value can be found in buying abandon projects, as I did (bought a KE10 and recoverd 75% on selling bits I didn't need.)

You'll need to install a Hydro clutch unless you go down mad 5k road (which can be cool)

keep an eye on this thread from rollaclub, here. It's not into a KE20, but the engine bay of a KE10 is tighter so anyting that fits in there will fit into a KE20.

Rotary's can work well, but require a little more forethought.

Cheers
    Jordan
    Past rides: 86 Hilux, 3x ke55 rollas's (2coupes,) 5th Gen GT4 x2, RA28, TA22 x3, KE10, P610 datto, RT40 corona x3, RT132, MX13

Currrent: , CA-A22 Celica living life as a Sports Sedan, 2000model ST215W Caldina GT-T manual, RT40 corona.

Quote Originally Posted by Bananaman
    May as well reply in here. I haven't done a thread yet on this, but have posted a few times about it, if you look for posts by me about this, i think the most detailed was in a ke25 brake upgrade thread.

If you just want to upgrade to R31, which are 250mm vented it would seem (versus 200mm solid i think ke20 stock is?) then its fairly easy. The cheapest way to go about it would be to get yourself complete R31 struts (wouldn't expect this to be much more than around $150 for both), and swap the spring seat from your stock strut onto the r31 tube, and get suitable lowered /upgraded springs etc. I can't help with what length to shorten the r31 strut to or what shock to use to suit that length, as we're yet to work that out for mine, and i'm using a height adjustable coilover sleeve kit.

In terms of bolting it to the steering arm, the bolt pattern is the same. However, the ke20 steering arm has locators, which give it a bit of extra shear strength. The r31 strut won't accomodate this. The dodgy solution would be to grind off the locators, but the preferred option is to drill out some of the thread in the bottom of the strut to allow for it to sit over the locators. This will still leave enough thread to bolt up as per normal, but if you're not happy with it then run a longer bolt and put nuts on top.

This should be enough to stop the car well (with a suitable master cylinder upgrade), as well as pass engineering for a 4agze i should think (check this with engineer though). I've gone all out with mine and chose to use R32 280mm discs and 4 piston calipers, with 5 stud z31 hubs and an off the shelf caliper adapter. This is a shitload more expensive, but i thought i may as well go all out to start with, rather than inevitably tinker with it later
    Thanks for the info Bananaman. Ill have a word to my Dad (who is helping me with the car), as the lingo really does not mean much to me at all. I'm sure the more research and exposure I have, and hands on, things should start to fall into place.

Quote Originally Posted by jfallen
    The 4AGE swap can be good value, I'm doing one into my RT40 corona at the moment, using twin solex's and a megajolt to control ignition.

Value can be found in buying abandon projects, as I did (bought a KE10 and recoverd 75% on selling bits I didn't need.)

You'll need to install a Hydro clutch unless you go down mad 5k road (which can be cool)

keep an eye on this thread from rollaclub, here. It's not into a KE20, but the engine bay of a KE10 is tighter so anyting that fits in there will fit into a KE20.

Rotary's can work well, but require a little more forethought.

Cheers
    Jordan
    WOW, thanks Jordan. That thread looks great, and that Ke10 has left me a little speechless! Its so clean and looks great.

I have had a turn at the moment, which has mainly been brought on by my lack of knowledge in areas (such as this). I am torn at the moment. I don't know to do a conversion like that of the 4AGZE, or to keep the stock 3K 1200 motor, and do as much as I can, performance wise, to it. The benefits would be to have an original suped up rolla, not having to worry about engineering issues (you would think anyway), and I can expand my knowledge slowly and surely first. I feel like I have jumped into the deep in and am thinking too much ahead with the conversion, especially with my lack of knowledge. Having said that, it's sick or swim though, and I have no doubt that If i really wanted to, I could do whatever I wanted... with a little persistence

What do you guys think about that, and how would that compare cost and performance wise?