Thread: Brake Caliper Pistons

Junior Member Domestic Engineer ill-minded's Avatar

Default Brake Caliper Pistons

after having a quick search, i didn't really find anything conclusive, so i thought i'd start up a thread on this.

basically, i bought some 300zx calipers for the xA6x brake upgrade and i've just finished tearing the calipers apart (with only a 14mm spanner... ) so i can clean, repaint and rebuild them. anywho, after i pried the pistons out of the calipers (and after skinning my finger and foot in the process), i noticed that the pistons have got some crap on the surfaces as shown in the pictures below.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5.../IMG_0362r.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5.../IMG_0363r.jpg

the ones in the first picture didn't bother me too much as its not really that much and that they're near the top of the piston so they sit above the seal anyway. the ones in the second picture are from the other caliper and the marks come down a bit further as well as just having more marks to start with. other than these marks, the pistons have no other signs of damage (pitting or scratches).

i've tried a little bit of degreaser on a tissue to see if the marks would come off, but they don't so i was wondering if it would be alright to use a bit of light steel wool to see if it would remove the marks or if this would adversely affect the sealing ability of the piston later on. or alternatively, if its not even worth worrying about, i'll just clean them up as much as possible and continue on my merry way.

so anyway, if someone has some input i'd love to hear it

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Default Re: Brake Caliper Pistons

are you sure it is not the coating coming off?
    if not, i would be happy to attack it with some wet, 1200grit wetndry... steelwoll might be a bit harsh.. then again, it might be softer than the coating

got any copper steelwool stuff?
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

i just had a quick little try on a small section with some 1000grit wet n dry (all i have at the moment) and it seems to be doing the trick without leaving any marks on the surface, so it looks like that might be the go, but we'll see how things turn out. man it sucks being a poor college student.. no money and no space and technically i don't think im supposed to be doing this in my room haha

ok, so i just finished doing that piston and it worked a treat.

so, for future reference, fine wet'n'dry works fine at getting these marks off, whatever they were. it was a bit hard to tell but my guess is it that the calipers probably haven't been actually on a car for a while so the seal or something left some little marks on piston surface.

many thanks to you OC need to spread the love around first though

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic maurice c's Avatar

Try some metal polish it usually cleans them up real good, you have to make sure that you remove all traces though with something like brake cleaner.
    Getting your missus to help bleed the brakes isn't everybody's idea of quality time.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

you can also try soaking with a fine mineral oil like white-spirit or dry cleaning fluid and gently rubbing the marks (still wet) with a green kitchen scourer.

Just be aware that those things can scratch soft metals - and those kinds of oils require gloves and the gloves/scourer will have a very short life when wet with those oils.
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

Junior Member Domestic Engineer myne's Avatar

It's chrome plated. If you're really worried, take them into PBR and get them re-plated. I did some a few years ago for something like 30$ for 2. For that price, it's worth the peace of mind

But I have no carport? Carport Converter merc-blue's Avatar

thats nothing, just hit them with some red scochbrite or 1200 wet and dry and chuck them back in,