Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The HKS 2.4 1G stroker....... Isn't 2.4 :o/

Worlds Fastest 1G Backyard Mechanic

Default The HKS 2.4 1G stroker....... Isn't 2.4 :o/

Well, for all of those who didn't see Johns thread from Import Bits, saying he had found himself a 2.4 litre HKS stroker, yesterday with a large handful of money, and rather sore knees from begging him to sell it to me, the vulnerable HKS stroked 1G was mine As a complete engine head to sump, it took me all of 2 hours to have it stripped down to every last nut and bolt on my workshop floor, and 90% of it chucked in the bin.

At first measure I must have stuffed up the stroke, which I thought was 92mm, but didn't sound right, so after taking the head off we did some proper measuring and came up with 81mm. SO the HKS stroker is a 81mm stroke, and this engine has a 77mm bore, giving you a capacity of..... 2263cc. Honestly, its hardly worth it in my book, with an offset ground turbo crank and 77mm piston you can get the engine out to 2140cc, but I guess every bit counts. Some may argue that the HKS gasket comes in 79mm bore, and with a stroke of 81mm, a 78mm bore gives you 2320cc, and a 79mm bore gives you 2380cc, but having now sonic tested 3 blocks to see how thick we could get one to bore out that far, I can tell you now, if you went to 79mm, most blocks would have under 1mm of wall thickness left, and its always on the thrust face too, I wouldn't want to be pushing much more than 350rwhp through one for fear of splitting bores.

I presume the HKS engines must have been assembled by HKS themselves, the crank was numbered 279, and the bottom of the pistons were marked 116-1, 116-2, 116-3 etc etc, the rods have been massively polished and looks to be in the hope of lightening, even all around the sides of the rods and big ends etc. It is howevere still fitted with standard rod bolts, head bolts and main bolts, as well as oil pump etc. The Cylinder head has a very very nice port job, and to a very nice surprise today it has HKS cast camshafts, and amazingly, HKS written on the valves!!!! SO I presume this engine has everything they did for the engine, we just have to test valve springs.

Everything inside was absolutely mint. This thing looked so clean, its either done very very minimal K's, or been very well looked after, very different to 90% of the import engines you see. I'm going to clean up and check the head/valve seats, give it a skim and sell it complete, as its little use to me, and the pistons will prob go in the bin, they have seen some det or lean conditions and number 1 and 2 are severely marked on the top corner, they may be ok, but I need to get them cleaned up, the rods will go in something at some stage, and the crank, well, that I'll keep for an engine down the track, I can't use it now as I need new rods and pistons made to use for myself.

Anyway, thats my day, hows everyone elses

6BOOST

PS, No pics, and not for about a week, I'm like a kid in a candy store, it was apart by 6pm and at the engine shop by 8am to get crack tested and measured so I can order pistons and rods. I'll take pics of everything when they come back and teh head is cleaned up and reco'd.

Yep they look great Carport Converter gianttomato's Avatar

Default Re: The HKS 2.4 1G stroker....... Isn't 2.4 :o/

I suppose at one level that's a slight disappointment but you got yourself a hell rare bit of kit.

Is there room to offset grind the HKS crank?

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

the HKS crank less likely to crack than the stockers? that in itself would be a good thing
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Purple is the new black! Automotive Encyclopaedia sillycar chick's Avatar

Bad luck hey, I was interested to see what eventuated from this engine from John's thread, and after seeing the impressive article in Zoom on your car, can imagine what a killer engine you could have made with the 2.4 bits.

And I know someone who may be interested in that head, have let him know about it so you may hear from him....

Good luck with it all the same...
    51LII - 1972 TA22 Celica | Morpheous Metallic | 4AGE 20v Silvertop | Razorback ECU | W58
    Toyota Car Club (Qld)

Quote Originally Posted by TheToyman75 View Post
    There is not much hotter than a Freshly painted Celica, Unless its the reflection of a freshly painted Celica on a freshly painted Celica

---------HO00NS---------- Chief Engine Builder IN 05 NT's Avatar

atleats its full of goodies!

couls be interested in the cams if you wanna ofload them

If I sell the head it will be complete, and mostly because of what its worth all together, I'd really like to know whether HKS assemble them themselves, as the port work is very very nice, I've never even heard of HKS 1G valves, but it would be nice as a bolt on package, and it will be brand spankers as well.

As for the rest of the engine, I guess its a bit of both, you always hope it will be everything you ever dreamed of, 2.26 seems a long way from 2.4, 2.4 would spool my new turbo faster than my old turbo, I'm not sure how the 2.26 will go. I'm contemplating just how far I want to stretch the bore, the HKS pistons are junk, so I'll have to get new CP's made, I don't ever want the hassle of splitting a block, and 40psi is a lot for anything to take, my engine is grout filled, though I just don't know if it will take a 78mm piston relaibly.

The crank can't be offset ground, its actually mint, and already has the 42mm journal so I can get bearings off the shelf, and its also standard size, so it has some use in it yet. I definately don't want to put it in yet, I'd like to get the engine sorted and staying alive with ni issues at big power levels before I go sticking a crank as rare as this in it, and potentially have a failure and kill it, I think i'd cry

The 2 other factors in the stroke, is that 1, the rod ratio is already up to shit, with a stock length rod, it is 1.48:1, and I have 3mm longer rods in my engine, if we move the pin even further(into the oil ring land) I can still get a 3mm longer rod in there for a 1.51:1 rod ratio. Its still crap, and I guess you could say why bother, but every bit helps, and the shorter the pin height, the lighter the piston/shorter skirt. The second factor is block clearance. Even with stock rods, this block has massive notching about 5-7cm long around the bottom of the bore and up the sides of the crankcase wall, my PAR rods are way bigger, I've had to notch my block even with 76mm stroke, and I'm worried that even at the 81mm stroke I won't be able to clearance the block enough to clear the rods without braking through into the oil gallery.

Ahhhh..... Decisions decisions, I should have just bought a car with a bigger bay and went 2J

6BOOST

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 6BOOST
    Ahhhh..... Decisions decisions, I should have just bought a car with a bigger bay and went 2J
    Booooooring. You made the right choice mate and you know it
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

---------HO00NS---------- Chief Engine Builder IN 05 NT's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JustCallMeOrlando
    Booooooring. You made the right choice mate and you know it
    exactly!...whats the point of prooving that a 2j can make 800rwhp when it has been done 1000+ times before?

plus when your old and retired, you can write the book 'HOW TO BUILD A TOUGH 1G'

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic byteme's Avatar

which only people on toymods would buy
    but i agree, why build a 1jz or 2jz when its been done to death.. what about getting the block sleved ?
    Hamgatan says:
    i pwn my momma

is the bestest Conversion King LeeRoy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 6BOOST
    I've never even heard of HKS 1G valves, but it would be nice as a bolt on package, and it will be brand spankers as well.
    Was browsing Lindens epc last night and the lifters from a 1g were the same as 4a, 7m, and a whole lot of other engines, maybe theyre not 1g specific. The engines along with many many more also shared the same stem seals, and visually the 4a head and 1g head looked very similar.
    Daily Driver: Red Ae93 Project: My TA22 - now with 3s-gte
    D is for Disco, E is for Dancing

Enormous Member Grease Monkey cush's Avatar

how much volume is there in the combustion chambers?

at 2263, you're only 147cc from 2400....perhaps that's how they worked it out?

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cush

Would be highly un-orthodox capacity calculation!

Sounds like a trick bit of kit that 1g!

Cheers
    Wilbo

Quote Originally Posted by LeeRoy
    Was browsing Lindens epc last night and the lifters from a 1g were the same as 4a, 7m, and a whole lot of other engines, maybe theyre not 1g specific. The engines along with many many more also shared the same stem seals, and visually the 4a head and 1g head looked very similar.
    The 4ag has the same stem diameter, but much larger valves and they are about 5mm shorter, I have cut down 4AG Formula atlantic Ferrea valves in my race head. They may have done this, but I'd say they are made for the 1G, seeing as how they went to the extent of forging a crankshaft!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cush

Capacity is worked out from bore, stroke and cylinders, basically borexstrokex6, or:

3.85*3.85*3.1416=46.56=Area of piston/bore
    46.56*8.1=377.18cc=Bore*stroke
    377.18*6 cylinders=2263cc.

Volume of the chamber has nothing to do with it, and like I said earlier, I have sonic tested 3 blocks, none would take 79mm pistons without leaving more than .5mm of wall thickness, or .020'

Quote Originally Posted by byteme
    which only people on toymods would buy
    but i agree, why build a 1jz or 2jz when its been done to death.. what about getting the block sleved ?
    I don't like the idea of sleeved blocks. I'm sure some engines do ok, but I've seen far too many hassles to risk it. You can't get a head gasket(other than a copper) in bigger than 79mm bore anyway, and I'm not that fussed with 60cc of capacity, I'll just rev it another 1000rpm, she'll be right

I'd just like to say also, that I'm completely happy with the engine and in no way blame Import bits for anything, John was helpful and great, and I'm very thankful he let me buy it, I am only dispelling the "MYTH' of the 2.4 bit, as its a little bit of romour and fairytale I guess. I'll be getting some custom rods and pistons made and seeing what happens, I'll finish and run the 2.15 litre engine I have now and sort the car out, I'd say it will make 99 of the power I've got now. I'll use the HKS kit when I have everything spot and and holding together with 40psi up its clacker

6BOOST

I like Cheese Backyard Mechanic Jackel's Avatar

how much you want for the complete head?
    Previous Rides: JZA80, GA70 GT, RA63 GT x2, TA61 GT, TA63.

Well, cams are worth $850 at least, then you have HKS springs, valves, very nice port work and it will be faced, cleaned, and if need be seats cut and guides done, as well as new valve stem seals just to be sure, add those things together, and pm me an offer. Nothing stupid though guys, it cost me $3500 for my old 1G head and 6500 for my new head, I'm not going to "give" it away.

6BOOST