Thread: 7m and after market turbo questions

"it went up in a jiffy" Conversion King Kedderz's Avatar

Default 7m and after market turbo questions

have done a few searches and not come up with a definiative answer, nor can I find examples of what I am proposing.

Can you run a 7m with an after martket turbo (type irrelevant for now) with the following fuel mods using the stock ECU;
    - 550cc injectors
    - 1uz AFM
    - Fuel computer ala SAFC2 or equivalent unit
    - Dyno tune to correct AFR's will occur obviously

The reason I ask is not that I am cheap, the reason is I can do all that work myself. I like to get hands on and have installed an SAFC2 before, but installing a stand alone ECU I will have to get done professionally.

Teh Massif Dong Carport Converter BlackSupra's Avatar

Default Re: 7m and after market turbo questions

Quote Originally Posted by Kedderz
    have done a few searches and not come up with a definiative answer, nor can I find examples of what I am proposing.

Can you run a 7m with an after martket turbo (type irrelevant for now) with the following fuel mods using the stock ECU;
    - 550cc injectors
    - 1uz AFM
    - Fuel computer ala SAFC2 or equivalent unit
    - Dyno tune to correct AFR's will occur obviously

The reason I ask is not that I am cheap, the reason is I can do all that work myself. I like to get hands on and have installed an SAFC2 before, but installing a stand alone ECU I will have to get done professionally.
    If your not cheap just pay for someone to install the ecu then and save the stuffing around.

You will also need some form of ignition timing control with the above setup.

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

You can certainly make it work but you'll be limited with the amount of power/boost you can safely run with such a setup. To get the full potential out of a bigger turbo you can't cheap out with the engine management. And let's face it, if you can get a brand new Microtech running the show for around $1200 plus tuning, there's no excuse not to do it.

"it went up in a jiffy" Conversion King Kedderz's Avatar

thanks gents. I was pretty set on after market becuase like you say you can control ignition and have finer control allowing more boost.

Then theres the question of why spend 2.5k on a 7m

Question answered i think now ;-)

Kamber King Conversion King Negative Boost's Avatar

Cuss it sounds hell tough!! lol...

I was thinking the same as Norbie, you'll be limited as to the boost you could run but i think you could still get a pretty good setup/power going.