Thread: Fitting BT 20V head to 4AGZE Block

Junior Member Grease Monkey KOV51's Avatar

Default Fitting BT 20V head to 4AGZE Block

Hi peoples I recently have obtained a AE82 with a 4AGZE in it with the blower removed for a turbo setup. I am considering the fitment of a 20V head to the mix before I get the appropriate manifolds made. Are there any modifications needed to be made to install the 20v head with the coolant galleries or oil galleries.
    Are there many benifits to running the 20v head in a turbo setup to a lighty ported smallport head?

Some peoples comments or past experiences would be a great help in this matter.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic KARNAGE's Avatar

Default Re: Fitting BT 20V head to 4AGZE Block

No its very simply fitting the 20 valve head on to the gze block i have just finished that setup. You need to source a 20 valve head gaskit they are easy enoung to find and you need to use the 20 valve timing belt. Where are you getting the 20v head from? is it with a full engine? if so why dont you transfer the internals from the gze block into the 20 valve block.

oh but if doing the exchange of internals make sure you have the high comp gze pistons 8.9:1 as the early gze pistons dont have cut outs on the pistons to suit the oil squirters in the 20valve block.

Olde mechanic Carport Converter oldeskewltoy's Avatar

I believe Arias has a 20V low compression piston part number3730250 - each, 3730050 - set
    http://www.ariaspistons.com/products/toyota.html
    http://www.ariaspistons.com/ARIA2007cat.pdf - page 24 on the bottom
    CR(with stock head) = 9.0 to 1
    Last edited by oldeskewltoy; 07-09-2007 at 09:47 AM.
    Information is POWER... learn the facts!!

ta22 madness 1st year Apprentice pryorshazam's Avatar

bolt up for the silver top
    i used a camira timming belt
    and from memory just modify standard 4age head gasket for a couple of extra coolant holes with a drill
    but there is no valve clearance so if the timming belt goes its bent valves all round
    its not the speed that kills you, its the sudden stop

Toda Racing also auplly a timing belt its a kevlar lined belt or something retails bout $180 or something my mate got one apparently its bout 200% stronger than oem. i doubt its that good but its something to look into. Those arias pitons look interesting wish i saw them before i put my engine back together. oldeskewltoy do you know how much they are? for somereason my computer wouldn't open shortcut.

Yeah so I am planning on running ARP head bolt/stud kit, part number anyone for these?

I was considering running a Cometic head gasket set do you know if there is a difference between the 20v and 16v head gaskets if so does anyone have parts numbers for what I am chasing

The setup I am thinking of using is the AE101 4agze long motor I have installed atm.

I am planning on using some aftermarket rods but havent settled on a set yet. What is everyone out the using and approx cost

I was considering a set of standard 4agze pistons as they are forged and ceramic coated (plus I work at toyota so cheap) what are the costs and pros and cons of these vs say Arais pistons.

So I need a special 20v timing belt anyone got a part number for this? Is the 20v inlet and exhaust port gaskets different from the 16v heads for making turbo and inlet manifolds. Currently I have a smallport 100kw inlet manifold could I adapt this to the 20v head? or will it be more cost effective to make a new one?

Backyard Fabricator Automotive Encyclopaedia

if you're going with aftermarket rods you might aswell grab a 7A bottom end while you're at it.

Too much stuffing around to adapt the smallport inlet to the 20V, just use the quads and a custom plenum or a whole new intake manifold with single throttle body.

The exhaust port spacing etc is the same between the heads, the outer two bolt holes are further apart on the 20V. It's easy to adapt a manifold to fit either of the heads with slotting of the outer bolt holes.

Dont forget the 20V setup uses side feed injectors instead of the topfeed's you currently have. The 20V waterpump setup is also different to the 16V setup with the 20V utilising a pipe from the timing belt end of the head that goes to the back of the waterpump assembly which is similar to a 7A pump (front housing is different, a 16V front and 7A rear can be made to work, but sourcing a complete 20V pump is best)

the camira timing belt works fine on the AE101 20V setup, there's a BMW belt that works for the AE111 setup, if you search at twincam you will find the part number I posted in the past.

I run the stock rods which i have had re balanced and then i have the 8.9:1 pistons. the 16 valve head gaskit is different to the 20 valve slightly but the 16 valve can be adapted to fit. but for the cost of a cometic 20 valve head gaskit i wouldn't bother trying to adapt the 16 valve one. ARP headstuds are a bitch to get fot 20 valve as you need to buy to sets (to different lengths) i was quoted about $ 400 for the whole lot. look on www.todaracing.com for timing belt.
    Is't the 7a bottom end weaker than the 4a?
    And JP was right way to much work trying to adapt the small port inlet for the 20 valve as in the long run i believe the ITB's work better with the right plenum set up

And www.greenline.jp have a good price for sard side feed injectors to suit the 20 valve anything up to 800cc even though thats a little over kill probably.

Sounds like using the 20v head is a real c*nt perhaps ill just stick with the ported smallport head I have and use the ancillaries I have

Olde mechanic Carport Converter oldeskewltoy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KARNAGE
    Toda Racing also auplly a timing belt its a kevlar lined belt or something retails bout $180 or something my mate got one apparently its bout 200% stronger than oem. i doubt its that good but its something to look into. Those arias pitons look interesting wish i saw them before i put my engine back together. oldeskewltoy do you know how much they are? for somereason my computer wouldn't open shortcut.
    Arias sells directly... $595 US for a set including rings. Some retailers can/likely do sell for less. One of the places I work for...(I answer email enquiries for a few auto performance websites) can likely sell you a set for about $540... or about 10% off US list. Some other may be able to sell them for less, but I don't know what/if they even charge less....
    Information is POWER... learn the facts!!

Thanks for those prices might look into getting some cos i dont like the idea of snapping a timing belt and screwing my valves