Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hoppers Stoppers brake upgrade vs Pug/Lux/Corona brake upgrade

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice ThaNav's Avatar

Default Hoppers Stoppers brake upgrade vs Pug/Lux/Corona brake upgrade

Hi all, i'm wanting to get a brake upgrade for my TA22 with a 3tgte with 140rwkw and just want peoples opinions on these two brake upgrades: the Hoppers Stoppers brake upgrade and the Pug/Lux/Corona upgrade. What i want to consider mainly is which has better stopping power as i want more power in my car in the future and dont want to have to upgrade the brakes again later on. Also, cost as a factor as well. I think that the hoppers stoppers kit will be able to bolt in easier than getting the parts for the other upgrade. I wont be installing it myself, i'll be getting the mechanics to do it, unless someone on toymods can help out.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks
    Nav

FRustrated INdividuaL !! Grease Monkey Rosey's Avatar

Default Re: Hoppers Stoppers brake upgrade vs Pug/Lux/Corona brake upgrade

Most people go for the Hilux version as it is alot cheaper like half price, thats all I can help ya with.
    Cheers Rosey [email protected] Rosey's GT TA22 Celica - 72' Model

Quote Originally Posted by TheToyman75
    For me its the 1st generation GT's I'd Kill for a 72 GT but since most people don't even believe they exist

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic kugzs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rosey
    Most people go for the Hilux version as it is alot cheaper like half price, thats all I can help ya with.
    hoppers can be 5 stud, so could match a f/g series diff for later on.

maybe also look at the skyline upgrade by therealroadrunner?
    Got good condition 23/28 bonnet hinges? pm me

Gobble, Gobble! Automotive Encyclopaedia mrshin's Avatar

5 studs and Skyline calipers = always my favourite way on cars like that.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice ThaNav's Avatar

when talking about the skyline upgrade, are you refering to the R31 rear diff? Does anyone know if the hoppers upgrade is a fairly decent upgrade so that i wouldn't have to upgrade again in the future? Same with the hilux upgrade. I really dont want to have to upgrade and spend more money later on when i could get it right from the start

Building Corollas Chief Engine Builder Cuzzo's Avatar

KE30 4agte - Bullet - Rick Rolled
    UZX83 1UZ W58- Cruiser - Tow Car - Fun Car
    Quote Originally Posted by -GT- View Post
    You had an oil and plastics engine bay fire, with flames that reached at least to the roof - of course shit got hot, it wasn't burning jiffy firelighters back there.

Gobble, Gobble! Automotive Encyclopaedia mrshin's Avatar

Hell no, I mean R33 turbo brakes front and rear. R31 rear brakes are CRAP, CRAP, CRAP!

Junior Member Conversion King timbosaurus's Avatar

Something to consider is that you don't match brake sizes with engine output. Same story with people who measure fuel pumps in horsepower.

You have quite a powerful engine output (140rwkw) and plan to go for more! BUT, unless you require bigger brakes because a tight engineer, then even the cheapest of the suggestions above will be fine even with your mods... ON THE STREET.

However, if track work is your forte, then even the big daddy conversion above (R33) will not hold up perfectly without some performance pads.

So only you will know how much abuse your brakes will cop (and it's got nothing to do with power output).

A reminder...

- Fuel pumps flow volume, they don't flow horsepower
    - Brakes stop you repeatably from high speeds, they don't cancel out your horsepower.

Timbo
    Current rides...
    2) White RA25ST
    1) Red RA28LT (NOW WITH 1G )

Forum Sponsor Conversion King

agreed^^^
    but with the r33 upgrade, some ferodo ds2500 pads and some dba 4000 series discs it will stop you repeatedly from high speeds without a prob

cheers
    linden.
    Quote Originally Posted by WHITCHY
    Prefer someone around the Sydney area but will travel a few hours for a good box!

Junior Member Conversion King timbosaurus's Avatar

^^^^ and that is a man who knows his brake conversions

Have a look through Roadrunner's recent posts for some good brake ideas!
    Current rides...
    2) White RA25ST
    1) Red RA28LT (NOW WITH 1G )

Founding ****** Automotive Encyclopaedia Mos's Avatar

Biggest brakes you can fit inside your wheels, then find a cheap way of doing it
    Pug brake upgrade isn't that big, they're just cost effective.

Mos.
    Admin, I.T., Founding Member, Toymods Car Club Inc.
    2000 IS200 Sports Luxury 1UZ-FE VVTi, 1991 MX83 Grande 2JZ-GTE (sold)

umop apisdn Chief Engine Builder twentyEight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Real Roadrunner
    agreed^^^
    but with the r33 upgrade, some ferodo ds2500 pads and some dba 4000 series discs it will stop you repeatedly from high speeds without a prob
    Except the apparent problem that the Nissan alloy calipers have on the track where they expand to much due to the heat and make the brakes spongey...

Hopper's Stoppers should outperform the CPH combo, but it would'nt be by a huge margin...

The price of the Hopper's Stoppers is much, much, more expensive though...
    ([][][]II--LT--II[][][])

Green '77 RA28 Celica - VVTi V8 Goodness...

I even do the dishes as Domestic Engineer Rodger's Avatar

Nav,

Basically re-iterating what Timbo is saying he got in before me.

Most people do not try to understand why brake upgrades are done. It is really not much to do with matching engine power to brake performance.
    The biggest engineering factor for a change of brakes is an increase in vehicle mass. Say putting a 18R-G into a TA-22.

That aside the next reason why people change brakes is for the better performance. What do you want to do with the car?

Street, Track Days, Competition?

If the wheels can be locked when the brakes are applied and the fronts lock first that is all that is required of the brake system on road going everyday cars.

If the brakes cannot lock up the wheels then an upgrade is needed as the increased grip level afforded by a change in tyres and wheels cannot be used.

For me the Hilux/Pug/Rona has good brake performance potential but at the cost of a very heavy bit of gear. Performace vs weight is poor. It has yet to be reported but I would suspect there may well be a lot of troubles with excessive stub axle and bearing wear creep into this set up in a couple of years not to forget the extra un-sprung weight and suspension performance.

There are a few other options for upgrading that can offer equal or better performance at a lot less weight.

The Hopper Stoppers kit is a great upgrade option and would cope well with very sticky tyres and track days.

A very simple upgrade is to put the RA-23/28/40 struts/brake package and rear RA-23/28/40 slave cylinders combined with good pads and slotted disks into the TA-22. The standard pedal feel becomes a little softer and longer and could be an issue but a couple of options to change the M/C are about.

Next on my list is similar to what I have done. Either a JDM AE86 front strut and brake package of ventilated rotors (rare) or RA/MA-60/65 front hubs and calipers and their ventilated rotors on RA-23/28/40 struts. Some fabrication/modification of brake caliper mounting plates is required for the later option. Then use a Camry 1 inch M/C for a firm pedal feel.

Regards

Rodger

Forum Sponsor Conversion King

Quote Originally Posted by twentyEight
    Except the apparent problem that the Nissan alloy calipers have on the track where they expand to much due to the heat and make the brakes spongey...
    but you are forgeting the reasons as to why the calipers are getting too hot.
    1 incorrect brake pads for the job (ie coefficient of braking)
    2 with bigger brakes you dont need to be on the brakes for as long therefore reducing heat buildup in the rotor/pad combo.

rodger, you are correct with the comment that you only need brakes big enough to lock the wheels but your forgetting that you also need them to be able to do it consistently as well.

no point in having brakes that will stop you resonably for 3 hard stops then on the 4th the pedal goes spongy and the rotors are too hot to allow the pads to do there job, resulting in you hitting an object your try to avoid.

cheers
    linden
    Quote Originally Posted by WHITCHY
    Prefer someone around the Sydney area but will travel a few hours for a good box!

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Hi all, i'm wanting to get a brake upgrade for my TA22 with a 3tgte with 140rwkw and just want peoples opinions on these two brake upgrades: the Hoppers Stoppers brake upgrade and the Pug/Lux/Corona upgrade. What i want to consider mainly is which has better stopping power as i want more power in my car in the future and dont want to have to upgrade the brakes again later on. Also, cost as a factor as well. I think that the hoppers stoppers kit will be able to bolt in easier than getting the parts for the other upgrade. I wont be installing it myself, i'll be getting the mechanics to do it, unless someone on toymods can help out.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks
    Nav
    I have a Hoppers Stoppers kit in my Sprinter. I imagine it would be very similar with your
    TA22 kit. Unless you know what you doing and handy with modifying stuff and make them fit. I wouldn't even consider these mix and match brakes upgrade.

In my opinion, I think you be better off spending the money on the kit, that way you get all new everything (including hubs) and they all fit . One thing though you must have 15" wheels minimum as the disc are huge 275-280mm and with the AU3 caliper you will have very little room left.

The kit works very well and able to lock the wheels at pretty much any speed. The only problem you might have is the front will work too well and get front bias like my car at the moment. I'm in the process of fixing this by making the rear brake work harder by removing rear proportioning valve so the rear get 100% fluid hopefully this will balance it all out.

Also Peter Koning from Hoppers Stoppers is very helpful when you have questions and always answer e-mail.

Help that help