Thread: 8.0:1 4AGZE pistons and oil squirters

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Bazooka's Avatar

Default 8.0:1 4AGZE pistons and oil squirters

Ok I am trying to piece together a 4AGTE 20V engine and tonight I thought I would look at dummy fitting some low comp 8.0:1 4AGZE pistons into the 100kw block that I plan to use. I did not get very far as it turns out that the pistons are not cut for clearance around the oil squirters in the block. The pistons hit the oil squirters so now I am wondering what to do. I need to use the lower comp pistons in my setup to achieve a better compression ratio with the 20V head but from what I know these pistons were never in blocks with oil squirters. The 100kw pistons that I removed have a good cutaway to clear the squirters. Does anyone know a way around this?

Backyard Fabricator Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: 8.0:1 4AGZE pistons and oil squirters

Machine the piston skirt to clear the oil squirters

AVGAS DRINKING Carport Converter 30psi 4agte's Avatar

Yep. /\/\/\/\/\/\

You could also make a template out of steel of the pistons with the groove cut in them and then lay it over the low comp pistons and use a die grinder to do the work.....

Or get them milled

Make sure they are balanced after .

Senior ****** Carport Converter Sam_Q's Avatar

you could just equalise the weights yourself with a decent set of scales

Junior Member Domestic Engineer BigWorm's Avatar

Just do it yourself with a round hand file. You just need to use a nice fine needle file & some emory paper to smooth it all out, then polish it a bit to help show up any scratches you might have missed. As long as there's no scratches or sharp edges it should be fine, and as said you can do the balancing as you go, I found some digital scales that measure to 1/100th of a gram for just $70 the other day.
    Alloy is incredibly easy to work with your hands.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic KARNAGE's Avatar

I Have just done the same conversion and i didnt have a problem with them touching the oil squirters. I am using the 20 valve black top block. Am i right or should i have a problem with them hitting at some point?

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Bazooka's Avatar

Thanks Guys, looks like something else thats not just going to go smoothly for me. I will have to look into it.
    Karnage, I plan to use the 8.0:1 pistons and they do not have the cut out for the oil squirters that are in my block as they were never in an oil squirter type block from factory. If you have the 8.9:1 pistons in an oil squirter block then you should have no problems. The biggest problem I see is the final compression ratio. From what I have fudged together this will give you a compression of 9.09:1 (with standard 1.2mm head gasket) while using the 8.0:1 pistons will lower this to 8.15:1. I do not know if this is accurate or not but its what I am getting. Using a TRD head gasket with the 8.0:1 pistons will net 8.42:1 which is also not too bad I believe. This is also provided that the Blacktop 20V head actually has a 37.8cc combustion chamber but I am yet to confirm this also.