Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1uzfe mods

Junior Member Grease Monkey CoronaC's Avatar

Default 1uzfe mods

Hey, I'm soon to be in the market for a Celsior or LS400 and I'm wanting to find out a few mods I can do to the 1UZFE, I've had a search on the olds and new forums and goggled a little bit but haven't really found too much in the way of N/A mods.

I did however find this NZ site which sells parts for 1UZ, Eight throttle body manifolds, throttle bodies, linkages and other things.
    http://www.1uzquadcam.co.nz/

I was thinking that it might be worthwhile looking into getting the Eight throttle body setup, but also trying to find out a few other things i can do to increase power. What do people think of this setup, turns out it would end up being quite expensive ($2700+ and that would get the parts to aus) Would it be worth bothering with this to start off with or leave it to later date and do some other mods instead? Would sound nice though

I'm not too sure when it comes to ECU's and i dont really know what can be used on a 1UZ while keeping the factory auto (have to use piggyback of some kind im guessing?) anyone have any suggestions or experience with this?
    I've also heard that the 1UZ's had poorly flowing heads, but with some cam work and extractors there should be no problems, so what type of cams should I look at getting, I would like it to be able to rev a bit more freely (upto 6-7000rpm maybe?) then stock engine would and get better all round power, any suggestions on what to ask for and where to go about cam work?

My aim is to get 200rwkw in N/A form and still street drivable, How obtainable is my goal?Any other suggestions on reaching this goal are very welcome
    PS. I dont want to go turbo or S/C, just keep it N/A

cheers
    chris

Twisted ****** Backyard Mechanic .T.'s Avatar

Default Re: 1uzfe mods

chris,

suggest you look at: http://lextreme.com/forums/

should cover everything you need there

T

I make people cry Chief Engine Builder Draven's Avatar

Also well worth talking to ed.. he's in the process of building a big 1uz. I believe he's using 8 rb26-DETT ITBs.
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=7465
    Quote Originally Posted by xero View Post
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

8? I think youll find that he is using 4 GTR throttle plates, which each have two butterflies in them.
    If you search back a bit you will find a thread where he was mocking bits up to figure out throttle actuator ratios.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

ToyotaCarClub.net Domestic Engineer Starfire's Avatar

They have some nice bits on that site...
    1987 AW11 MR2 Supercharger (4AGZE)
    1974 TA22 Celica (2TG bored and stroked)

Thanks to James Cameron's Terminator films, we know that robots are stronger, faster, tougher and more Austrian than the rest of us.

Toymods Club Member #194 Conversion King Lambolica's Avatar

I'm posting mainly as I'm looking at getting an LS400 myself and you like to see some results from this thread, particularly from headers/extractors.

Regardless you may find this thread interesting.

1UZ - Piggyback Results

Seems good bang for buck....
    Beige.... The new Black!!!

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

NA mods are always expensive to get any worthwhile gains, and especially so for something like a 1UZ which has 4 camshafts, 32 valves, 8 inlet ports etc etc... that's a lot of stuff to upgrade!

Junior Member Domestic Engineer myne's Avatar

If you get the 98/99 1uzfe you might come close to your desired power in stock form.
    http://www.toysport.com/webpages/Tec...aenginenew.htm

But the site says only 280PS you ask.
    That's conveniently smack bang on the "maximum power" agreement - all the top powered cars in Japan are quoted as 206kw (280ps) despite some of them being much much more.
    Notice how the 3UZFE is quoted as 280PS too.
    I'd be guessing it's more like 300-310PS which puts it in the ballpark of 200rwkw.
    A decent exhaust, play with the cam timing, better tuned aftermarket computer and you'll probably hit your mark.

good f'n luck finding a 98-99 vvti 1uz
    ../delete/ban
    tech moderator
    E46 M3 Nürburgring Nordschleife - 8.38

I make people cry Chief Engine Builder Draven's Avatar

if you know where ed lives you could steal his
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=7465
    Quote Originally Posted by xero View Post
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.

ToyotaCarClub.net Domestic Engineer Starfire's Avatar

If I were doing one of these engines up I would serioulsy consider a low pressure turbo setup on an otherwise stock engine. Bang for your buck it will give great results and by low mounting the turbo down near the trans almost stock appearance.

I know that NA is however the preference so perhaps some cams, the throttle bodies and extractors will go a long way. Head work is expensive, especially if you have 32 valves, 16 ports and8 combustion chambers to play with.
    1987 AW11 MR2 Supercharger (4AGZE)
    1974 TA22 Celica (2TG bored and stroked)

Thanks to James Cameron's Terminator films, we know that robots are stronger, faster, tougher and more Austrian than the rest of us.

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Mild cams, a mild retune and extractors/exhaust will net you your goal.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by myne
    I'd be guessing it's more like 300-310PS which puts it in the ballpark of 200rwkw.
    A decent exhaust, play with the cam timing, better tuned aftermarket computer and you'll probably hit your mark.
    300PS at the engine is no way NEAR 200rwkw.

A programmable computer or good piggyback is a must, as is a decent exhaust and extractors. ITB's are nice too, then you should have both the air coming in and out sorted.

As for your power level, ENTIRELY achievable, but you're not going to get there without cams. Those cams are optimised for a big luxobarge, for smooth acceleration, and are the reason it cuts out from the factory at 6300-6400rpm(?). They just don't make the power up top. They will be your bottleneck.
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

regular fella Conversion King chris davey's Avatar

From the dyno day recently, 1uz autos with extractors and exhaust are around 150rwkw. So the cams and tune are going to have to make another 50rwkw or about 60kw at the engine.
    Quote Originally Posted by MR 1JZ View Post
    that interior is so jap...just looking at it makes me want to kill a whale
    QUICKEST 1JZ'S IN OZ

Junior Member Domestic Engineer myne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JustCallMeFrank
    300PS at the engine is no way NEAR 200rwkw.
    I was thinking something like the 170-180 range with the mods pulling it across the line.
    It's not that unrealistic is it?
    People can pull nearly 90kw@ wheels with stock 20v's - you'd think a 4L v8 would be close to that volumetric efficiency despite the factory understated claims.