Thread: Stuck oil pressure switch 3tg

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice MarioM's Avatar

Default Stuck oil pressure switch 3tg

Ok gents before laughing at my situation please here me out.
    My car is a Ta22 with a rebuilt 3tgte.
    The satday that just pasted, i was working on my car and making real good process with the rewiring and was feeling pumped. in any case, i wanted to take a break from doing the wiring and checked my list of things to do. seeing that i needed to change the oil pressure switch, i decided to take of the one connected to the motor and put a new one on. i was tightening it up, and it seemed to have heaps of tread left so kept on tightening slowly. all of a sudden the pressure switch snapped off. so i fish out a set of easy out (or what ever you call the things that have a anti clock wise tread) and that snapped cleanly. so i drilled a hole as close as i could to the middle until it went completely through the tread of the pressure switch, and then i tried again, and i snapped a second bit.
    now the question is how could i get 2 snapped easy outs, plus the remainder of the tread from the pressure switch?
    and would i have to pull the motor apart to ensure that no metal shreds go anywhere else in the motor?
    is there a possiblilty that i have damaged something via my stupid actions?
    any help would be most appreciated
    Engineered and on the road - Just in need of a tune...

I like Cheese Backyard Mechanic Jackel's Avatar

Default Re: Stuck oil pressure switch 3tg

"edit"....
    Last edited by Jackel; 10-02-2006 at 03:30 AM.
    Previous Rides: JZA80, GA70 GT, RA63 GT x2, TA61 GT, TA63.

I would like to be a Backyard Mechanic 3t-RA40's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackel
    if it was me i'd take the thermostat off and see if there is any metal in there and clean if so. Only takes 5 minutes to take off.

have you run the engine yet?
    The thermostat as nothing to do with oil or the sender unit.

II would not have been drilling right through the thread because you could now have metal shavings in your oil system now.
    If the easi outs are still in there then your looking at a realy hard job.
    Not sure of what the answer is to try and help you.

Yeah this is a bit of an awkward thing. In any case i don't have any oil in the car, as i haven't put in any since i got it rebuilt, also i haven't started it. how would i go about getting the metal shavings out without having to pull apart the motor?

Corolla Collecter Backyard Mechanic Trent-KE30's Avatar

Use a magnet on a piece of wire and dangle it in the thermostat housing etc and you might get the bits that way, or those pen looking magnets things are great for getting little pieces of metal including sockets etc from hard to reach places,

Cheers

......... Carport Converter jeffro ra28's Avatar

how has the thermostat got anything to do with oil pressure?

I like Cheese Backyard Mechanic Jackel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jeffro ra28
    how has the thermostat got anything to do with oil pressure?
    was thinking of the gauge sensor, my bad
    Previous Rides: JZA80, GA70 GT, RA63 GT x2, TA61 GT, TA63.

Texas Hold'em Junky Backyard Mechanic fade-e's Avatar

the best way i recon to get the shavings out would be to remove the sump and then some WD40/degreaser to clean it out... also while the sump is out you might be able to figure a way to remove the sensor from the inside with those clamping pliers

the 3TGTEU sump gasket is the same as a normal 3T so geting another gasket for it is easy as...

cheers

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Firstly... why it happened... the thread on the oil pressure switch is actually tapered, which gets you a fantastic pressure proof seal without resorting to sealants, so they normally do have plenty of thread left after being screwed the whole way in. Make sure you check if a thread is tapered on any pressure fitting.

Secondly, your thread is stuck because its in really tight, and you have probably broken 2 easy outs because you didnt drill the hole big enough. Drill it out again, and enlarge the hole so that there is less than a mm of metal left outside the ring on the hole, and use a bigger easy out. Heating the area up with a heat gun or industrial hair dryer(make sure ya missus isnt home) will aid the removal... naked flames will probably burn your paint, and arent advised.

Thirdly, flush your pressure system heavily with kerosene etc. to do this, you should firstly go to where the oil comes out of the oil filter, and start squirting some kero in there. If you have the right hole, the hole that the pressure switch goes into will leak kero. you might wanna check a diagram with oil flows shown, and make sure this wont push the kero into your bearings. If your pressure switch is between the pump and the filter, you are in luck... remove the pump before performing this, so you can drain the kero and shavings out. If not, i would be tearing down the engine in flushing fully (tearing hair out will be part of this process).

Fourthly, smack yaself on the back of the head, say "dont do that again ya drongo" and sit down, have a beer, and relax before continuing with your project, or you will be all worked up and will make more mistakes.

Cheers, Owen
    Last edited by o_man_ra23; 10-02-2006 at 01:16 PM. Reason: forgot the heat
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

......... Carport Converter jeffro ra28's Avatar

Yes the thread is usually tapered as O man said, it would be either NPT or BSPT.

Yep they look great Carport Converter gianttomato's Avatar

How to get the bit of pressure switch out? Bite the bullet and pay one of those mobile thread repair dudes to come out and do it for you. Look them up in the Yellow Pages or ring your local nut/bolt shop for a contact. Watch them and learn and prepare to pay.

Usually the pressure switches are made of brass so a magnet won't get the bits out. Once the pressure switch is out, get mum's vacuum cleaner, hook up a fine bit of tubing to the suction and suck out all the swarf. If the motor is out of the car, it might pay to flush some kero through the oil galleries - not sure aboutthe T seeries engines but the M series has little grub screws at each end of the main oil gallery to facilitate this.

well i came up with another idea i spose. i am going to take the motor out as it doesn't really take that long to do, and put the motor on the engine stand. on the stand i will have it angled so that the oil pressure position is facing the ground so all the shavings should fall out while i drill a new hole. i've heard that all cars have the pressure switch after the filter, does anyone know if this is true, or if this is the case with a 3tg?
    thanks all for your help