Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3sgze Vs 3sgte

Junior Member Domestic Engineer NeoNasty's Avatar

Default 3sgze Vs 3sgte

Hi All,

I wanna be the dickest drifto master in my Celica soz I needz a supercharger and 84 turbozzzzz. Kan I jest get em and bolt it up!?

nah j/k. I know that the usual operation is to pull out the old engine (3sge) and install the factory 3sgte. However, I dont really want to be normal. I was looking at an sc14 for the 3sge, I could drop the compression via thicker headgasket, and get an aftermarket computer to run it all. Im not chasing 250FRkw or anything, just something nicer for normal driving and a bit of fun in the hills.

The other option is to get all the 3sgte headers/turbo etc etc and run it on the 3sge with the stock compression but at a lower boost. I figure that would give the torque increase that I was after.

Perhaps the 3sgte is a better option, then the computer will run it, you get the injectors, the lower compression ratio.

Is the main problem with the supercharger option the lack of space in the engine bay? Low mount possible, I dont really use the air con anyway.

I know someone has though of this before. Any GT2 guys have any ideas?
    HZJ75, RS41, JZZ30

I make people cry Chief Engine Builder Draven's Avatar

Default Re: 3sgze Vs 3sgte

dropping compression via thicker head gasket is BAD, mmmkay.
    The main reason people probably don't do this is the 3s-gte already exists. by the time you pay for the supercharger, work out how to mount the thing, pay for custom piping, intercooler, computer, quite possibly injectors not to mention working out what to do about compression you're already most of the way to a 3s-gte, which will be more reliable and have more power
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=7465
    Quote Originally Posted by xero View Post
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

SC14 is too small and a step backwards compared to turbo. don't do it.

however, if you get something like a lysholm 1600 twinscrew, i think you'd find it hard for turbos to keep up.

depends what you want.. if you just want a little more grunt, go stock turbo. if you want torque everywhere and can sacrafice a bit of fuel economy, go decent SC. if you want more than 20psi boost, go turbo
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Im not a GT2 fella, but AFAIK the 3SGTE doesnt suffer much from low end lacking due to the small stock turbo(this is why i want a stock 3SGTE in my RA23, cause then the GF can drive it without complaining about it being hard to take off etc). The mid range should hit the spot quite nicely too, and to open the top end a correctly set boost controller will work wonders.... so my opinion would be if your gonna go turbo, just get a stock 3SGTE with a boost controller. You wont lose any bottom end with the boost controller BTW. Why do you want extra torque? fuel economy? if thats the case, then go the s/c, but the difference in price between a stock 3SGTE and a custom setup for a 3SGZE and an ECU that will run it, will probably take quite a long time to be outweighed by any (if any) fuel consumption benefits you may find from running a SC. That, and all the bits n peices for the turbo setup are readily available and quite inexpensive if you are staying stock. Sooo many ppl ditch perfectly good stock turbos for cheap as prices when they put a T03/T04 or other oversized turbo on.

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

shit, 2 posts while i was puttin up my 1?? dont you ppl have other things to do... lol j/k. Good to see a few viewpoints coming out. Big up the 3SGTE

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Junior Member Chief Engine Builder wiso's Avatar

I'm a GT2 guy and i will say DON'T DO IT!

its really not worth it a 162 looses it fun when matched with some decent power at the front wheels, it suffers alot of torque steer and just general torque is too much for a fwd, unless you love sitting there doing burnouts, (which i don't personally) which is why i have fallen out with mine and bought something a better base.

I know i'll probably get flamed for this but
    if you wanna see how much a 3sgte can handle go have a talk to the guys in the sw20 dedicated thread, and see how many time they have all rebuilt their motors, personally i wouldn't boost a 3sge, especially since you can't turn the boost down on the standard ct26 turbo. not with out some trouble anyway
    89' MR2 AW11... His
    00' MR2 ZZW30... Hers

cruisin in a z30 Automotive Encyclopaedia -=DV=-'s Avatar

mate i was going to mate up an sc14 to my poor unsuspecting 3sge a while ago, unfortunately the engine died before i even got to start the project,but there are masses of work in it, and you ulitimately have to decide wether u prefer power steering, or a/c because one of them will have to go, then comes the nightmare of piping, having ur intake on the opposite side of ur engine bay to ur sc isnt the best setup, so u will most likely have to move ur alitnator, power steering fluid resivuar, radiator overflow ect ect ect,and you still wont have room for ur afm, so that means aftermarket computer...wich you will need to control ur larger injectors ect ect ect and that will be $ ontop of $ ontop of $, plus rebuilding the engine with lower compression pistons ect ect to start with,unless you only wanted to run 4 or 5 psi in which case the sc14 would probably be too big for your needs anyway,i gave up on this project and baught a gtfour for around the same price everything would have cost me in the long run, my best mate is currently looking into the same project, and its looking like he will follow suite and just buy a 165 instead aswell.

ps.everything i have said is assuming you are working with a 4th gen celi sx.either way u go man, good luck with it all, pm me and keep me updated.cheers

Junior Member Domestic Engineer NeoNasty's Avatar

well all good points. I kinda thought in the long run i would be better off with the factory option of the 3sgte. Guess Toyota didntr spend millions developing the engine for no reason. Plus the stocko computer would be nice.

I have read the mr2oc site about all ther upgrades they are doing and the power they can put down. But I always figured on a fwd it would be useless having 300FWkw and nit being able to get it down to the ground.

Perhaps I will just keep the celica as a nice comfortable daily and cruiser. LOL

Cheers all.
    HZJ75, RS41, JZZ30

Junior Member Domestic Engineer myne's Avatar

I get very little in the way of torque steer with a gze ae82. And it grips so well with the tyres I have, that I smelt my clutch when I tried to get some 2nd gear wheelspin happening in the wet last time.
    The old tyres I'd still be spinning in 3rd, with the speedo reading 180 and the scenery saying otherwise.

That's with a respectable 240nm @ wheels. FWD can get the power down fairly well.

Junior Member Conversion King Jorrs's Avatar

i have a GT2 and yeh u get a fair bit of torque steer and yeh it is sometimes very hard to get power down to the ground, though but saying that its also heaps of fun and fairly quick i wouldnt bother with a SC just stick a 3sgte in and be done turbos r fun!!111

Do GT2's not have equal length shafts or something?

Junior Member Conversion King Jorrs's Avatar

im not to sure actually ??

If they are equal length, there'll be a bracket holding a half shaft to the engine with a bearing, and both shafts will be interchangable.

Equal length reduces torque steer HEAPS. Mine are equal

Rest in Peace Conversion King ViPeR_NiPPleX's Avatar

so the half shaft comes out to the bearing and then from that is the drive shaft on one side, the other side is straight from the box to the other drive shaft?

interesting

Yep

HUB > DRIVESHAFT > GEARBOX > HALFSHAFT > DRIVESHAFT > HUB