Thread: 4AGE drive belts diagram

NL-34-SH Grease Monkey unleashed__'s Avatar

Default 4AGE drive belts diagram

hey guys im wondering if anyone has a diagram for bigport 100kW drive belts because i think mine has been put on wrong and i'm going to replace them soon but just wanna make sure that i put them on the right way..
    i've tried searching but could not find anything..
    thanks
    opinions are like a** holes.. everyone has one but thinks everybody elses stinks

Forum Sponsor Conversion King

Default Re: 4AGE drive belts diagram

Quote Originally Posted by unleashed__
    hey guys im wondering if anyone has a diagram for bigport 100kW drive belts because i think mine has been put on wrong and i'm going to replace them soon but just wanna make sure that i put them on the right way..
    i've tried searching but could not find anything..
    thanks
    take a pic of yours so we can see if there wrong.
    both from the top and the side under the rail.

cheers
    linden
    Quote Originally Posted by WHITCHY
    Prefer someone around the Sydney area but will travel a few hours for a good box!

well i know its wrong because the lowest tensioner which is on the left of the ac compressor.. the drive belt runs under it with the lined part of the belt running on the smooth tensioner and i've learnt that smooth sides always run on smooth pulleys and lined sides always run on lined pulleys.. i think this is the only thing wrong but i just want to confirm it.. will take pics tomorrow as it is too dark now and got a crappy camera
    thanks
    opinions are like a** holes.. everyone has one but thinks everybody elses stinks

Forum Member Grease Monkey

That is wrong, the smooth part runs over the tensioner.

is the bestest Conversion King LeeRoy's Avatar

Should look like this

Toothed side of belt contacts with toothed pulleys which are the crank pulley, and both cam pulleys. The flat side of the belt should be on the tensioner which should also be flat, which pulls in towards the center of the block - or to the front of the car.

If it is any other way then it is wrong.

If your planning on changing yours, spin the motor to 0 deg as marked on the crank pulley, then also check that the two cam pulleys which have 1 dot on each of them line up with the raised section of the cover behind them. The dots are on their face and they should point inwards at about a 20-30 deg angle to each other. The mark on the crank pulley is on the outer edge also but you can use the harmonic balancer to spin it around and get the marking off that which should line up with the -10 to 15deg markings on the plastic cover. It should line up here at 0. The keyway can also be used for getting tdc and i think it should face vertical but im not 100% on that. The harmo should do for lining it up anyways provided your pulley is not shagged.
    Daily Driver: Red Ae93 Project: My TA22 - now with 3s-gte
    D is for Disco, E is for Dancing

i wrote the Automotive Encyclopaedia roadsailing's Avatar

pretty sure he's talking aobut the serpentine belts, not the timing (cam) belt.

post some pics dude, it will save al ot of confusion.

i cant realld help you with a description, my engine only runs the alternator and waterpump, and even an idiot couldn't get that wrong.
    like to drift? live in victoria?
    www.vicdrift.com

now targeting: targets

formerly shinybluesteel

is the bestest Conversion King LeeRoy's Avatar

If thats what hes talking about then its wrong.

The ac/p steer belt runs with the grooved sides all running on the grooved pulleys with the tensioner being on the smooth side of the belt and pushes it upwards to tighten it. It sounds as though the belt runs under this which is not right. If it does then youll probably need to tighten the tensioner to get the belt off it then losen it to put it on right, tighten it up again and it should be right.

Dont forget to tighten the bolt in the center of the nut as this locks the tensioner. It will also need to be losened before being able to move the tensioner.

The alternator and water pump belt runs no tensioner and is tensioned by the alternator. This belt runs around the harmonic balancer and both the water pump and alternator with grooves on belt to grooves on pulley.
    Daily Driver: Red Ae93 Project: My TA22 - now with 3s-gte
    D is for Disco, E is for Dancing

alright.. thanks guys.. that's what i thought too.. i'll just put it the other way round on the tensioner