Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: W58 Version Comparisons

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Default Re: W58 Version Comparisons

In my experience it's not the bearings which let go first in a W58.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

I talked to my mechanic about the weakness of a W5* box a while back, as I'm using one in my KE70 build. He's seen many broken behind V8's, which he puts it down to end float in the shafts causing the angular teeth to bind.

They've run 600+ HP through them with straight cut gears with heavily modified chev V8's and got years out of the box under race conditions without the porche roller bearing mod that many use,

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic rodi's Avatar

i now have 6 boxes, 1 i broke 1 i got broken for parts 3 ive pulled out because they were getting noisy in 1st 2nd 3rd and one thats in the car now, i got it with 60000k on it, i run it on ATF and run the oil level down about 25mm from the filler and it,s holding up ok, i haven,t stripped the noisy boxes yet but they must be stressing in the front bearings somewhere so thats why i'm asking about the bearing so i can replace all 3 bearings in the 3 noisy ones all in one go

where are folks getting gears for these from?

i assume albins and or ppg? i haven't spoken to albins, whats their current pricing like? ppg was off the dial expensive. just wondering what options there are for straight cut gearsets, and shaft/bearing upgrades etc?

cheers
    ed
    ../delete/ban
    tech moderator
    E46 M3 Nürburgring Nordschleife - 8.38

Learner Driver Backyard Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by ed_jza80 View Post
    where are folks getting gears for these from?

i assume albins and or ppg? i haven't spoken to albins, whats their current pricing like? ppg was off the dial expensive. just wondering what options there are for straight cut gearsets, and shaft/bearing upgrades etc?

cheers
    ed
    I can supply you a great gearset for them and a a price way better than PPG or Albins.

Not straight cut, but a lot straighter and a lot stronger than the standard.
    Close ratio too with 4th and 5th about the same but a high first gear.

I was breaking one a race weekend on high boost in my car,

Works out to about $4k australian at the current rate.
    - KE70 Corolla Dx -
    - 500hp+ 7AGTE 20V turbo -
    - MRS/Hayabusa turbo **sold**
    - TA63 3TGTE project in the build -

Forum Member

I have an aloy plate box and it gets trashed on the pad at least once a month a couple of sets of tires every time i go out there. I have poped a 180hp 12a and a 315hp 13b leaned them both out at high revs the 12a in 3rd and the 13b in 4th but the box is still mint never had a problem with it. There are a few week points around the plates one being that the box housing bolts on either side if there is any movment it would be at these points first. the other being the housing its self its also aloy and weaker than a plate steel or not. These would be the places of any " flex ". All metal has a tensile strength and a degeree of elasticity the more force applied the more movment " flex " in the gear box case or joins between the case and the plate what the plate is made of is not going to stop this.

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CHB View Post
    hey guys, i just bought one W58. it has a "Traction Control Sensor" mounted about 30cm ahead of the shifter hole. any one came across one like this?
    Yeah MA70 had that.

Cheers
    Wilbo
    Wilbo's Wiki (Includes 2JZ-GTE Wiring, etc! )

Wilbo's JZA80
    Wilbo's JZZ12

pics?

i might need something like that. would be good to see the retrofitability
    ../delete/ban
    tech moderator

teq Grease Monkey

Another guy had shifting issues after swapping parts to correct for his shifter position. Found out the rod has to be changed or modified as well. See attatched:

http://www.hachiroku.net/forums/show...ighlight=trans

So I found the problem...here goes.

Shift shaft end is wider on the mk2 Supra w58 than SC300/mk4 supra w58.

Not enough clearance to select any gears and I don't know how I got second at all.

MK4 Supra/SC300

MK2 Supra/everything else from the 80s I assume...

Conclusion...I need to make the old one as skinny as the new one. Wish I had a key cutter lol

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

So he's trying to use an early-model shaft with a late-model box, presumably to get an internal shifter position instead of the external shifter from a JZA80/IS300?

I found the same problem when I did this a few years ago, but instead of trying to jam the early model shaft in there I modified the late-model shaft to accept an internal shifter setup. In practice this amounted to drilling and tapping a single hole. Much simpler than what this guy is proposing to do.

haha, same. fuck re mounting the whole rear of the box, i just drilled and tapped the hole for the shift yoke
    ../delete/ban
    tech moderator

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

I love this thread, very helpful. I have an allow w57 and its behind a 2azfe engine. I find once in a while it pops out of first or third when cold, otherwise, its been flawless, quiet and aside from a detent spring binding up, trouble free. Cars only about 220NM, 160hp, so the alloy plate box should last. I see much of the thread is about the steel plate version, strength and design differentials, etc, but nobody really put a number on the alloy box breaking point. I saw some agreement about the steel plate version tending to break at peak torque over 300ft/lbs. I saw general consensus, with a few dissenters, saying alloy was some margin weaker. Just wondering where that point might lie? I cant help but think a rusty old sa63 Celica would be a lesser maintained vehicle compared to something in the Supra lineup, which would likely demand a greater level of service and more enthusiastic ownership.

A mate has a shed floor filled with broken w5x boxes. Running behind a very top endy small block v8 in an hg, generally breaking shifting into second gear at high loads. Hes not had an input shaft fail, or any bearings let go, just excessive gear end float that has the gears smash together as the power comes on in second. A couple of these boxes were feshly rebuilt Dellows units that came at high cost.