Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1UZ into RA65 - Drift car.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic nihilism's Avatar

Default 1UZ into RA65 - Drift car.

Ok, been thinking about this for a couple of weeks, losing sleep over it at the moment

1) Anyone tried putting a 1UZ in an *A6* before?

2) What are my chances of geting the 1UZ to fit in the car?

3) What would be required to make the engine swap legal ?

4) For the drifters.. Will an RA65 be a viable drift car? (I want to do something different)

5) I would like the car to be road-registered but i won't really be driving it around other than to the track and to get work done on the car etc. Does anyone know of any special system of registration for track cars etc in WA ? - ie. not full registration. I'm mostly trying to avoid having to buy a trailer and another car to tow it!

The reason i want to build this car is because i've currently got the drift bug as drifting is just starting to take off a little more over here in wa and at the moment it seems to be cheap/easy to get into (in terms of motorsport anyway). I also own a JZA70 supra as some people on here will already know but i'm not at all interested in sacrificing it to drift.

Looking at a 1UZ as they seem to be relitively cheap and obtainable.

Anyway, any thoughts on the topic of the engine conversion and the suitibility of the car for drift would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Matt.

ToyotaCarClub.net Domestic Engineer Starfire's Avatar

Default Re: 1UZ into RA65 - Drift car.

It can be done. Getting it legal will be expensive.

If it is RWD and manual you can drift it. An LSD or locker will help. Converting a 1UZ to manual is not easy and usually requires an aftermarket ECU. Again not cheap.
    1987 AW11 MR2 Supercharger (4AGZE)
    1974 TA22 Celica (2TG bored and stroked)

Thanks to James Cameron's Terminator films, we know that robots are stronger, faster, tougher and more Austrian than the rest of us.

Rest in Peace Conversion King ViPeR_NiPPleX's Avatar

there has been the odd ma61 with 1uz around... main problem id be worried about is side clearance. but a great motor for the car... even for drifting

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

I recall a yank on the CelicaSupra forums tried this, but in the end decided it was more hassle than it's worth and put the engine in an MA61 shell. Much more engine bay room, plus you get other goodies like a stock LSD and 4-wheel discs.

Having said that there's no reason it couldn't be done. Whetheror not it would be a good drift car depends entirely on how well it's set up.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic ndgcpr's Avatar

doesn't NA CC have to = 3 x weight, MA61's i am guessing are around the z10 area and thus the tare weight on rego would be just over 1000kgs, 1100kgs tops, if memory serves me correctly (yes i could search but i won't atm) the RA's are even less then this meaning a 4L motor would not be legal. is this right? As i have wanted to try and put a 1UZ into an old RX4 shell but dropped the idea because of this fact?
    Noisy Diff and Gearbox Club of Pine Rivers
    and you thought your car was loud
    The Soarer brought to you by the letter TT

ma61 = 1270kg paper weight
    ../delete/ban
    tech moderator
    E46 M3 Nürburgring Nordschleife - 8.38

really hmmm, i thought they would be lighter then that, anyway it doesn't matter because that still only yeilds 3810CC and if memory serves me correctly (i watch too much iron cheif) 1UZ's are 3968CC

Supra since '86 Backyard Mechanic rsdeo's Avatar

MA6x is an easier chassis for the xUZ series engine over the RA6x chassis because the extra chassis length is between the front wheel wells and doors, right where this engine will fit. The xUZ series engine could fit in the RA6x chassis, but the headers will be a real tight fit.

Party Animal Supreme Too Much Toyota MR 1JZ's Avatar

isnt an MA61 a better shell to build a race car from?

why would a drift car be any different?

IMHO you wanna go with something that has a lot of available after market parts as if you dont you will be finiding yourself either making custom stuff or paying someone too do so, and as with all types of custom it will equal big $$$$

its very nostalgic and heroic to want to build the RA60/65 into a drifter but as much as it hurts too say this, you will fight a difficult battle, as I have done with my soarer as items are hard too find...

unfortunately its not just as easy as whacking coilovers in these days as you will be fighting against cars with advantages such as solid cradle bushes, adjustable arms everywhere, rose joints, etc etc...

not really a point, just a small rant
    Project Soarer II - Sold
    Evo 5 - The silver fruitbox
    "I'm the man who has the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than f**k. So that is why i am better than everyone in the world. Kiss my ass and suck my dick... everyone."

regular fella Conversion King chris davey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ndgcpr
    really hmmm, i thought they would be lighter then that, anyway it doesn't matter because that still only yeilds 3810CC and if memory serves me correctly (i watch too much iron cheif) 1UZ's are 3968CC
    FI multiplication is 2.5X presently and in that proposed changes article was looking at changing to 3X.

I thought the N/a was 4X weight presently. 4L into 1000kg or 5L into 1250kg.

I think it is a good idea if it can be legal. 1uz's are pretty light for their capacity and being 4 cylinders long should help with handling compared to a straight 6. It depends on how hardcore you want to go. If you just want to build it for some fun and the occasional comp then I think it would be ideal but as Mr 1jz said if you are aiming to become the next "drift king" then you will be up for some custom bits and that is expensive. But anyway, I say do it and show us the pics when done
    Quote Originally Posted by MR 1JZ View Post
    that interior is so jap...just looking at it makes me want to kill a whale
    QUICKEST 1JZ'S IN OZ

Junior Member Grease Monkey MacroP's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chris davey

1uz's are pretty light for their capacity and being 4 cylinders long should help with handling compared to a straight 6.
    The part about 4 cylinders long is bit of a fallacy. The two banks are offset so it's really 5 around cylinders long, plus the 1UZ has a very wide timing belt which adds more length. Also the V8 config can conflict with the brake booster, and other thing on the firewall, in a engine bay designed for a straight six so you're forced to push the engine forward. I had to do this in my Cressida by 45mm so in the end the engine sits up close to the radiator even closer than the 7MGE sat. Was forced to use thermo fans which still only gave me clearance of 20 mm. I have to remove the radiator to pull of the power steering pump and alternator. In reality the 1UZ is barely shorter than the 7M and only by a cm or two.

After that you have to worry about engine width issues.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic MOOKIE's Avatar

You can always move the radiator forward of the support ?
    i remember reading on the old forums that a 7m will fit in an RA65 and still have room for an engine fan

Quote Originally Posted by chris davey
    FI multiplication is 2.5X presently and in that proposed changes article was looking at changing to 3X.

I thought the N/a was 4X weight presently. 4L into 1000kg or 5L into 1250kg.
    Yeah i have heard mixed things, cool1 seems to think its 2.5x and 3x and he is a car enigneer right? would be nice if it goes to 4x cause i would love a 1UZ 1974 mazda RX4

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

From the NCOP
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Dimitri's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MR 1JZ
    isnt an MA61 a better shell to build a race car from?

why would a drift car be any different?

IMHO you wanna go with something that has a lot of available after market parts as if you dont you will be finiding yourself either making custom stuff or paying someone too do so, and as with all types of custom it will equal big $$$$

its very nostalgic and heroic to want to build the RA60/65 into a drifter but as much as it hurts too say this, you will fight a difficult battle, as I have done with my soarer as items are hard too find...

unfortunately its not just as easy as whacking coilovers in these days as you will be fighting against cars with advantages such as solid cradle bushes, adjustable arms everywhere, rose joints, etc etc...

not really a point, just a small rant
    basically ever aftermarket part/modification that can be applied to an ae86 can be applied to an ra60. the irs set up in the 65 is a complication though, for sure.

but then the ma61 is set up is basically identical so theres not really an issue of choosing a platform there.

a bloke in melbourne has done a 1uz in an '86. i doubt an ra6x is narrower between the rails than a sprinter.

do it it'd hook.

contemplating a 1uz conversion over say an sr20 for a ra6x based drift car suggested custom work is not something said enthusiast should be scared of.

pretty sure Castlemain rod shop do a 1uz to w5x bellhousing now too.