Thread: Engine choice for a daily driven KE35

Get a rotor Grease Monkey ATMO_BT1's Avatar

Default Engine choice for a daily driven KE35

Apologies in advance if this has already been covered, i searched around and found nothing specific

I'm looking at buying a 35 with a 1.2 auto boasting worn rings as a daily driver, because of the rings i was thinking it would be cheaper to simply lift the old motor out and slot another one in. I do not want the car to be quick/fast or anything like that, i just want it to be economical and driveable.
    What i was hoping you guys could do for me was point me in the right direction as far as motor choice etc is concerned. I would like to keep the Auto it has now as i really can't be bothered sourcing a pedal box etc which i assume would be about as fun as picking my eye out with a fork.
    I only want to spend a couple of hundred dollars on a 2nd hand engine and it must go straight in with no modifications- do i have any choices apart from the standard 1.2? There is a 1.6 as well isn't there? I was thinking the step up to a 1.6 would mean i wouldn't have to gas it as much to get around town so the fuel economy would probably be better realistically.

Also, where in Sydney should i try to find a motor as old as these? What should i expect to pay?

Thanks guys

Jack

BBP racing 3rzfe+T Carport Converter BeRad's Avatar

Default Re: Engine choice for a daily driven KE35

4k engine ithink it is??? 1.6 carby or something out of the ke70, there worth nothing and would be close to a bolt in i would think.

hAVE a search on these forums someone might be selling one, or wreckers around your area, although they might be stuffed or expensive, i wouldnt pay any more than a few hundred, i dont knwo if id pay that haha.
    Only the shittiest of wines come in 5 litres

boosted 3rz hilux *new project* mwahaha
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...940#post134940

Toymods Board Member Chief Engine Builder Hiro's Avatar

1.2L is the 3K, 1.3L is the 4K

For straight drop-in choices, anything K-series will be fine, with the exception of the 7K which I think needs some sump modifications because it's too tall. 5K would be a significant upgrade, but even a 4K should make a difference. Best thing to do would be to get a 4-speed or 5-speed manual to go with it, a 4K and K40 would range in price from free to $200, max, would bolt right in place of the 3K, and then you could spend the extra cash on a Weber or extractors, and you'll have something capable of keeping up with traffic
    AE102 - Charlene the Old Faithful, Reborn
    JZZ30 - Lexi the Spacecruiser, 1JZGTE>>3SGE. 200rwkw, hunting Skylines and n00bs in SS Commodores
    ST162 - Charlie the non-ghey Celica, 3SGE>>4AGE. GOOOOOOOONE
    AE82 - Rosie the Bitsa from Hell, 70.8kw atw. Has been converted into garage space and money at last
    KE55 - Billie the Beast, sadly missed

i 8 a p00 Carport Converter rob's Avatar

as mentioned find a 4K for free or $50 and bolt it in

it will be reliable and it will be good with petrol if you putt around
    - ma61 + 2jz-gte + v160 + 3.5 torsen

I wouldn't trust a... Conversion King Smokey228's Avatar

If i were you, id take the boat anchor out of your other car and put that in... Than put the blown 3k into your vl and sell it in melbourne to muhammed or wassif. Tell em it ran 10's but it blew the rings. Wullah, all it needs is a service, maybe some new rings and away you go.

Well, no one else was going to make fun in this thread, it all seemed to serious. Plus i already put my positive influence yesterday.

Cheers,
    Jase

p.s. love you jack
    JZA023
    11.51 @ 126MPH | 430RWHP @ 21PSI

Quote Originally Posted by YLD-16L
    Cuzzo is such a premature ejaculator he fertilised the very egg that he grew from

Get a rotor Grease Monkey ATMO_BT1's Avatar

thanks for the advice guys, this has been put on the backburner for a bit lol i need to fix up a few things first..