Thread: GT35R on a 2JZ-GTE

I make people cry Chief Engine Builder Draven's Avatar

Default Re: GT35R on a 2JZ-GTE

Quote Originally Posted by Norbie
    embiggened,
    Best word evah.
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=7465
    Quote Originally Posted by xero View Post
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

It's a perfectly cromulent word!

Founding ****** Automotive Encyclopaedia Mos's Avatar

In my understanding the key and keyway are just an assembly tool - as soon as you start using them as a power transmission components the keyway enlarges and the key gets squashed. If the key for the timing belt pulley is fine then I wouldn't worry about the key for the crank pulley, just torque it down properly and the pulley shouldn't move - it should rely purely on friction for torque application - kind of like wheel studs are not intended for shear stress.
    Thoughts anyone?
    Mos.
    Admin, I.T., Founding Member, Toymods Car Club Inc.
    2000 IS200 Sports Luxury 1UZ-FE VVTi, 1991 MX83 Grande 2JZ-GTE (sold)

how much is Too Much Toyota JustenGT8's Avatar

Yup, i'm with Mos.

Just make sure you are spot on for your timing mark and locktite the crank pulley bolt in.
    Lily Simpson 6.7.2010
    R.I.P.

There are plenty of stories getting around about 2JZ balancers flying off at high RPM and destroying everything nearby. This is not something I'd like to experience!

My plan is to buy a new Titan balancer, new woodruff key (held in the crank with steel putty), new pulley bolt (apparently they stretch over time), then torque it all down to buggery and hope for the best.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

keyway should be a snug fit. Given that the face on the crank isn't tapered, this is even more important.

talk to wilbo about crankshaft keyway repairs - he's now had some experience

fwiw: i've had (when i live on a farm during my misspent youth) an old desiel engine lose a huge cast flywheel after using a incorrectly-sized key - the mass of the wheel overcame the friction of the tapered face, mashed the key into several bits after about 3 firing events, loosened up and then spin off the bolt on the end of the crankshaft ... the flywheel then took off into a paddock with me & brother running away in other direction (in fear of our lives). We'd done up the crank bolt with huge ring spanner and 8 foot breaker bar.
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

I take the school of thought that the others do...

If the bolt can't come loose then there is no problem.

I'd look at way of securing the bolt to the crank pulley (after installation) so that it can't ever undo...? I had a quick look at this in the past, a small bolt that goes through the crank pulley bolt into the pulley -> insert small 'locking' bolt after assembly (Might need to drill and tap the locking bolt hole after assembly so that it lines up...), that was one of the ideas that I had, not sure how good it was tho (Also I'd use two 180Deg out for balance reasons)

Cheers
    Wilbo

Rz on Performance Forums had a similar idea; he suggested cutting the big washer off the crank bolt, then making a larger washer and welding it to the bolt head, and after torquing it down drill a couple of holes in the washer which line up with the threaded holes in the balancer, then screw in a couple of bolts and the whole thing becomes a solid assembly. I will consider this plan B if plan A doesn't work out.

Rz on Performance Forums had a similar idea; he suggested cutting the big washer off the crank bolt, then making a larger washer and welding it to the bolt head, and after torquing it down drill a couple of holes in the washer which line up with the threaded holes in the balancer, then screw in a couple of bolts and the whole thing becomes a solid assembly. I will consider this plan B if plan A doesn't work out.
    I recall that the 'big washer' is actually part of the crank bolt, so all you need to do is drill the clearance holes into it...then when it is all tightened up drill into the crank pulley and 'bam' good times

Cheers
    Wilbo

Don't quote me on this but I think the washer diameter is too small to reach the threaded holes. Or is your plan to drill new holes in the balancer?

Or is your plan to drill new holes in the balancer?
    Yeah that was one plan, I didn't get too far into looking into it.

I'm sure machining off the 'washer' section and making a part that bolts into the pulley holes and stops it rotating was also be a good option...

Cheers
    Wilbo

Xistant

Norbie,
    how worn is the key?

reason i ask is on a mates 7mGE had a worn key, after about 2hours of ideas and a few beers we said ah fuck it it'll blow its new head sooner or later, 3 years on and alot of abuse its only killed a power steering pump.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer BigWorm's Avatar

Hey Norbie, here's a couple cheaper harmonic balancer alternatives to the Titan one I found recently, the ATI one sounds like it's similar if not the same as the Titan one.
    Although the Titan ones are on sale atm so they're not that much cheaper, but compared to the standard price these ones look just as good for alot less.

Junior Member Conversion King whatthe?'s Avatar

OT, but anyone know of an aftermarket harmo for 7M? Apparently I'll need one if the 10 sec dream comes to be...
    Project megap00 - Gave up and sold up. Money tree died

Junior Member Domestic Engineer BigWorm's Avatar

I guess a link would have helped....
    Norbie: http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...115+4294905359

Matt, it looks like one of these is for the 7M, although it doesn't list it as such, one of them seems to be for a 2954cc motor, and I don't imagine ATI would be making 2 different ones for 2Js.
    http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...115+4294871851