Thread: Wheels and offset for TA22 with "F" series diff

Senior Citizen Chief Engine Builder "Z" UTE's Avatar

Default Wheels and offset for TA22 with "F" series diff

Running the tape measure across a TA22, and the MKII Corona Diff, looks like there will be a need for special offset wheels

The TA22 live axle is1365mm wide, the MKII live axle is 1410mm wide.

The TA22, has a width between the guard arches (unrolled) of 1530mm.

The question I have for the owners of TA22's with MKII diffs, is what offset wheels are you using, and of course, what profile tyres have you used.

Previous setups I have used: Stock TA22 live axle, with +25mm offset on 6.5" rims.

MKII in an RA23, with +38mm offset on 6.5" rims.

Going on my measurements, for a 6.5" rim, I will need an offset of minimum 53mm, a 7'' rim, will require an offset of 60mm. That looks like a heap of offset, most advertised FWD wheels are 35, 40, and 45mm offset.

So yeah guys, and girls what wheels are you all using.

cheers Chuck.
    "What man can build, man can fix!"
    MS51Crown Coupe,
    GSV40R Aurion luxo tourer. One TA22 currently receiving some TLC prior to paint One RS56 Crown ute under construction, 2 x TA22's awaiting rebuilds. Toyota Crown RS47J ute in need of serious TLC. Toyota Crown Custom Wagon MS53 daily hauler stocko!

Car Butcher Carport Converter WDE_BDY's Avatar

Default Re: Wheels and offset for TA22 with "F" series diff

Well your axle is 45mm wider so you will need an offset of 22ishmm more positive to sit the centreline in the same place as the factory axle. Your tyre width will have more impact on your clearance than your rim width, a 235 on a 7 inch rim sits in the same place as a 235 on an 8 inch rim if they have the same offset. Work out what tyre size you want and go from there. Alot of the later model stuff is getting up to the 50's range but probably not too much of it is in 4x114.3 stud pattern.

Callum

Callum, thanks for that, I have already done the maths. Really looking to find out what people have on their cars, Nothing like real world experience, beats the hell out out numbers, which can be fudged.

Fitting the 6.5" wheels, (205/50/15 tyres) with 25mm+ offset, showed I would need an additional 28mm offset, which is quite a bit off from the calculated 22mm.

I get your message about tyre size, the centreline in your example has not changed, so yup spot on.Will have to look at a multifit, to get into the correct FWD offset.

cheers Chuck.
    MS51Crown Coupe,
    GSV40R Aurion luxo tourer. One TA22 currently receiving some TLC prior to paint One RS56 Crown ute under construction, 2 x TA22's awaiting rebuilds. Toyota Crown RS47J ute in need of serious TLC. Toyota Crown Custom Wagon MS53 daily hauler stocko!

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Flared guards FTW.

Thanks Norbie
    MS51Crown Coupe,

Car Butcher Carport Converter WDE_BDY's Avatar

Honda's tend to run in the 45 range, and some were 4x114. Much room to roll the guards for a few more mm? On my KE70 the guard roller got me a good 10mm of space so I could get a 225/50 15's on with 34P wheels and a Crown disc brake diff that was 50mm wider than standard.

Callum

Hi Callum, not really interested in rolling /flaring the guards. Just spent a shit load on a custom paint job. My problem stems from the fact that the TA22 is 20mm narrower than the RA23. Unfortuneately I only became aware of that, when the calc's from the RA23 did not gel on the TA22. A trap I will not fall into again.

As a last resort, I might go looking for a Hi-Lux arse end, if I can not find a decent set of correct offset rims. Will have to check Norbies data base again.

cheers Chuck.
    MS51Crown Coupe,

Looks like this is sorted. 215/45/17 on a 7" rim with 42mm positive offset. The guards will have to be massaged by about 5mm, I can live with that. Biggest problem was my sons choice of wheels, which became quite a limiting factor.

15, and 16 inch wheels come in 6.5 inch rims size, that gives you an extra 12mm to play with. Plus they are generally available with a 45mm offset. 16" rims were discounted due to the low availability of performance tyres. 15's ah well he had a set of them already on the car. My score there, as they will now reside on my '72 Celica.

cheers Chuck.
    MS51Crown Coupe,

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

you can get up to +50 aroudn here.. depending on the style you want and the PCD
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!