Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: harness at club events

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default harness at club events

Hey,

Im wondering if anyone can shed a little light on this for me.

I have a harness (3 point) which is brand new but made in 1993. I want to use it in my road registered car at club events (hill climbs etc), i wondering if anyone knows if its ok?

Ive called cams and they refer me to the cams manual which has specs for race cars but doesnt make mention about road registered vechicles.

Any advice is welcome

cheers
    nathan

Fuel Economy Warrior Carport Converter Vios-GT_07's Avatar

Default Re: harness at club events

to start you off

any harness that's past its expiry date cannot be used at any events or in any road / race registered vehicle..

afaik road registered vehicles that comply with and are used for race events are under the same scrutiny ... correct me if i'm wrong
    Research has shown child in front seat causes accidents, accident in back seat causes child

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic M.J.H's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vios-GT_07
    to start you off

any harness that's past its expiry date cannot be used at any events or in any road / race registered vehicle..

afaik road registered vehicles that comply with and are used for race events are under the same scrutiny ... correct me if i'm wrong

Yep that's right.

Can't be older than 5 years from memory so time for a new one.
    My sig has been pruned as it was over 5 lines long.

Gravel Lover Backyard Mechanic stumpygt4's Avatar

I agree, if you bought them and they are tagged with an expiry date, them that date must be followed. However if you have bought these and they do not have tags, then they can be used.
    That is my understaning of it anyway, as a friend of mine on the rally panel has just gone through this excact same thing.
    Jeff Thomas
    TOYOTA TEAM CELICA
    1 x 1989 ST165 rally car, 1 x 1988 ST165 GT4 spare car & 1 ST185 khana cross car. (for now )
    1 x GT86

so if the tags were to go missing it wouldnt matter?

Its not being used in anything hardcore and a harness of any type would definately be better then the stock seat belt.

hmmmm

Gravel Lover Backyard Mechanic stumpygt4's Avatar

I wouldn't even try to "make" the tags go missing. If you get caught or there is an accident, and cams investigates, you and your club are scewed. You can pick up a set of 5 point harnessess for about $230 from http://www.seemore.com.au. Best not to stuff around with anything like that
    Jeff Thomas
    TOYOTA TEAM CELICA
    1 x 1989 ST165 rally car, 1 x 1988 ST165 GT4 spare car & 1 ST185 khana cross car. (for now )
    1 x GT86

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

I'm sure that you are allowed to have a harness which is out of date in club events. Anything above this i.e. National etc, must have indate everything. Because you are allowed to use out of date seats aswell in a road vechile i think 5? years after they expire.
    Look in the Hillclimb and Autocross section of the cams manual for a complete answer , i would but am far to lazy

exactly my thoughts, new but out of date harness is better then stock 30 year old seatbelt

hmmm ive been delving through that for some time now and i cant find squat. I might send them an email and see

Junior Member Domestic Engineer psychofox's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by julzy_quads
    I'm sure that you are allowed to have a harness which is out of date in club events. Anything above this i.e. National etc, must have indate everything. Because you are allowed to use out of date seats aswell in a road vechile i think 5? years after they expire.
    Look in the Hillclimb and Autocross section of the cams manual for a complete answer , i would but am far to lazy
    THIS IS MISINFORMATION.

Read Schedule I of the CAMS Manual. It's all there in black and white. You cannot use out of date harnesses in any competition. It's 5 years for FIA rated harnesses and 2 years for SFI harnesses.

http://www.camsmanual.com.au/pdf/gen...20I%20Q307.pdf
    Wollongong Sporting Car Club - Secretary
    Current Cars:
    2004 TW Magna VR-X AWD w/6G74 - Tow Car
    1989 AW11 MR2 w/4A-GE 20V - Track Car

Junior Member Too Much Toyota YLD-16L's Avatar

On a similar topic (and you might be able to anser this Psychofox?).

A LOT of the seats sold in Aus are out of date (FIA) or only have a very short period before they expire.

I searched the CAMS manual online and couldn't find anything that states an out of date seat could not be used in hillclimbs etc. The only info I found on this topic was the minutes from a meeting of a CAMS affiliated club asking the same question (I didn't note the date of the minutes though nor could I find a reply from CAMS).

It would be nice to know before I purchase a seat shortly if I need to pursue something with a long time before it expires. The harness I am looking at expires at the end of 2011 so that is no issue.

Thanks in advance to whoever answers this.
    My KE25 thread
    WSID - 12.8@108mph || Wakefield Park - 1:11.4 || SDMA Hillclimb - 49.1

Ive read through that myself but it doesnt make mention of road registered vechicles etc

Notwithstanding the requirements set out in Schedules A and B, automobiles registered for road use shall not, when competing in Single- and/or Multi-car speed events (not racing), be required to comply with the provisions of sub-sections 2, 3, 5, 8, 9 and 11 of Schedule B.

Can anyone frind Schedule B on the website? Ive even searched camsmanual.com.au and nothing comes up?

Junior Member Domestic Engineer MRMOPARMAN's Avatar

at smaller events sometimes you can get away with it.. but dont take your chances.. its a
    bit of a stupid rule isnt it.. cant use a harness past 5 yo, but can use a normal seatbelt of any age.

in my race im too tight to buy a proper harness (or a cage for that matter) so i use the original non reel type seatbelt. its got one of those hooks that you mount the buckle on up the top so its not in your way, that keeps hooking under my helmet and im stuck in a really odd position.. quite danerous really.. its LEGAL though!!
    Quote Originally Posted by cuzzo
    well have to see what gen is better the ke30 or the ke(yuk)25
    Quote Originally Posted by Bananaman
    Thats like comparing a house brick and a stiletto

ok from the way i read it i can infact use it.

Notwithstanding the requirements set out in Schedules A and B, automobiles registered for road use shall not, when competing in Single- and/or Multi-car speed events (not racing), be required to comply with the provisions of sub-sections 2, 3, 5, 8, 9 and 11 of Schedule B.

I found schedule B here
    http://www.camsmanual.com.au/pdf/gen...A_B%20Q307.pdf

Subsection 3 reads
    3. be fitted with safety equipment compliant with Schedules I and J (refer to Section 6 of the CAMS Manual of Motor)

Which to me means that it doesnt need the safety equipment listed in the seciton of the cams manual you linked to earlier relating to harnesses?

Does anyone read it the same as what i am? i darno maybe im way off.

the easy way of looking at this issue is:

if its an event that requires only a 2S licence - ie speed event or motokhana etc then theoretically you can just use the seatbelts as installed oem... however these may be upgraded to any kind of harness, as long as a 'used by' date is not exceeded.

now 2" harnesses DONT have used by dates, so they can be used despite being made in say 1983

3" harnesses all have manufacture and expiry dates though, so these must be used within the stated period.

going up a rung on the ladder - for any kind of circuit competitive event requiring a national circuit licence or better, youll NEED a 3" harness, and this will obviously need to be in date.
    ../delete/ban
    tech moderator
    E46 M3 Nürburgring Nordschleife - 8.38

tilting at windmills Carport Converter Ben Wilson's Avatar

If the scruitineers get upset, just put your original seatbelt on as well. I've done it in the past to keep them happy.
    Strange things are afoot at the circle K