Thread: 20v BT Conversion in AW11 - DPI info / query...

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Question 20v BT Conversion in AW11 - DPI info / query...

Hey All...

I'm about to start with the conversion of a 20v Black top engine in an AW11. Now my query is regarding road registration and DPI (Department of Planning & Infrastructure).

What are the rules regarding this conversion and what is actually possible? Do I need to get an engineering certification, or can I just go in and get a new engine # registered for my AW11?

I've checked their website, and there is no mention regarding changing out similar designated engines ... IE: 4age to a 4age.

Does anybody have any experience with this, or point me in the right direction regarding keeping my AW11 road worthy in that respect, as it needs to be insured,because it is my daily driven car as well.

Many thanks in advanced...

MIKE.

Estranged Member Chief Engine Builder mullett's Avatar

Default Re: 20v BT Conversion in AW11 - DPI info / query...

It's all pretty straight forward as far as I know, i think they basically view it as the same as putting in a reco motor. It's the same displacement, and not boosted, so it should be fine. Call the licensing dept, and ask to speak to the technical section. To be totally honest though, I don't think it's worth the effort. If your car was an import, there's a very good chance they don't have the engine number on record, let alone tied to the VIN (my engine number isn't) If it was an Aust delivered, then you might want to for peace of mind. WA is a lot more relaxed about some things than the eastern States. If you're doing this, I'd be keen for a looksy! I'm going away for 2 weeks, I'll PM you when I get back...

RM.

Quote Originally Posted by kassma
    Hey All...

I'm about to start with the conversion of a 20v Black top engine in an AW11. Now my query is regarding road registration and DPI (Department of Planning & Infrastructure).

What are the rules regarding this conversion and what is actually possible? Do I need to get an engineering certification, or can I just go in and get a new engine # registered for my AW11?

I've checked their website, and there is no mention regarding changing out similar designated engines ... IE: 4age to a 4age.

Does anybody have any experience with this, or point me in the right direction regarding keeping my AW11 road worthy in that respect, as it needs to be insured,because it is my daily driven car as well.

Many thanks in advanced...

MIKE.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: 20v BT Conversion in AW11 - DPI info / query...

Hi Mullett...

Yeah... I concure with what you are saying, but I will definitly contact them regarding this to confirm. I might do it in an email, as this way I will have it black and white.

My mr2 is an Oz delivered MR2... it's not a jap import. But I already had a recond engine put in there, but that was the likes of a 4age 88Kw.

Personally, I don't really wanna go through the effort, but the consequences of that might be that I void my insurance, if I get involved in an accident (Although unlikely, but possible)

Definitly PM me when you come back, so you can have a look at it. It would be greate to perform back to back comparison with the SC and the BT20v. Wouldn't mind having a look at the SC mr2 to.... we should form a WA MR2 club or the sort...

MIKE.