Thread: 18RG into SA63

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 18RG into SA63

hey all i have just finished the rebuild on the 18RG. it has a rear sump and is a 18RGU changed to a 18RG with standard points not electonic dizzy.
    now what i need to know is any one driving one of these around who did the conversion???
    i have got a r series bellhousing to go up to my w55 so all i need now is some pointers on how to get this bugger in my car if any one else has done this let me know...

cheers
    matt

ps i dont need to be told its illegal to do this to the sa63 because its not i have checked.
    mine was made in 1983 the same year the 18rg finished production so its ok.
    only the RA65 is not allowed to have one..
    RA65/SA63 King !!!!! it was a SA63 with a 2S-C but now it has a 18RG powa House so does that make it a RA65?!?!?!

User Conversion King

Default Re: 18RG into SA63

for starters , i think you wil need a front bulge sump. so you may need to track down one or get yours modified.

i fitted a 18rg to an RA60 celica once. it was going to be a track car but that plan fell through. i had it driveable and everything .

regarding mounts, (assuming SA63 has same mounts as RA60) the 18rg mounts sit much further foward then the mounts on the crossmember. you you may need a piece of steel, 10mm x 100mm with 4 holes in it to match it all up.

if i ever got my conversion closer to a race car then i would have put 2 triangular pieces of webbing along it for strength.

hmm...hard to explain really. probly best for you slot the engine in without a clutch because you may have it in and out a few times before you finish.
    hello

ok cool thanks mate but i think the ra60 had a different set up as the ra60 had the r series housing and the sa63 had a 2sc in it so i think its a bit different.
    cheers anyway though.
    but if any one has done it to a sa63 that would help heaps.
    cheers
    matt
    RA65/SA63 King !!!!! it was a SA63 with a 2S-C but now it has a 18RG powa House so does that make it a RA65?!?!?!

Car Butcher Carport Converter WDE_BDY's Avatar

18RGEU at least has an extra set of bosses to move the engine mounts rearwards, they will then bolt up to an RA60 crossmember which is apparently a direct swap for the SA63 crossmember (I have not personally done this). Front sump is needed obviously, not sure if you can use 18R sump but sure I read the details on here somewhere so maybe do a search. If you have the earlier block with only the two front set of bosses, you may be able to bolt a flat bar onto the side of the motor and then move the mounts back so that the rearward bolt hole is used for the front of the engine mount and rear of the mount is bolted to the flat plate.

Callum

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Brett has the knowledge on this one. You will definitely need a front sump and pickup as the SA63 runs a rack n pinion steering rack at the back which will interfere with the rear sump. If you have the rear bosses, use them. If not, make sure your mounts are STRONG. They should be over built, or else you will be making them again when the engineer inspects them, or worse, the engine falls down.

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

If you get an 18R-GEU it should be a direct fit since they were originally fitted to RA63 Celicas.

User Conversion King

strangely....ive noticed a 18RC from a 77' RA40 with the rear mount boss'

all the other ones ive seen didnt have this

i was going to use a RHxx hiace sump but they are still a mid bulged type sump, although different to RA celica type.

the 18r powered hilux also has a sump thats not useable. IIRC, they have a onebig bulge the whole length of the engine, as well as another bigger bulge at the rear. being on a full chassis, there isnt really much of a space problem so they didnt hold back when they designed it

also note: a 21r/22r sump wont fit the 18r
    hello

interesting.... thanks guys .
    im still a bit iffy about ppl saying that a ra63 is the same as a sa63 as they have different motor names ie RA and SA so they are completely differesnt under the bonnet.
    i will take everything in to account but if any one with a sa63 with this motor is around let me know..

cheers
    matt

User Conversion King

there was a guy on the old forums building a turbo 18rg originally to go in a RA23.....he then decided to put it in a SA63. "people100" was his user name. i dont thin khe is on these forums but i think some brisbane people might know of him. i was gunna buy some cams off him or something.....cant remember now though
    hello

Car Butcher Carport Converter WDE_BDY's Avatar

For what its worth the RA63 and TA63 crossmembers definitely interchange (bolt into the car, but engine mounting points are obviously different), I would expect the SA63 to be the same as well.

Callum

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

No-one is saying the SA63 and RA63 are identical, the engines are completely different like you say. The important thing though is that all the bits are interchangeable, so for example an RA63 engine will have a sump and engine mounts compatible with the SA63 crossmember.