Thread: ta22 / ra23 hub / wheel bearing differences

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default ta22 / ra23 hub / wheel bearing differences

i've done a few searches, but mostly get hijacked by the hilux brake conversion.

I have a TA22, which is missing a hub/rotor on one side. I've tried to fit another TA22 hub/rotor onto the stub axel, but the rear bearings inner diameter is too large so it sits too far back and the hub seal chews out on the raised lip at the centre of the rear backing plate. I'm really wanting to know what hub will suit the stuts in this TA22. The other side is complete and is fine, but I have no idea what it is off? I've removed and mesaured the rear bearing inner diameter from the 'good' side, and it's definaly about 2-3mm smaller than a standard ta22 hub. The front bearing appears to be exactly the same as a std ta22 item.

Possible thoughts are ra23 or ta23? or corona etc? The disc rotor is the same diameter as a std ta22. Once other thing that is odd is a TA22 caliper won't fit on the stut, the bolts are slightly off.

So in short, what toyota uses the same front (small) wheel bearing as a TA22 but has a rear (larger) wheel bearing with an inside diameter a few mm smaller than a a standard ta22?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by hemi twofifteen turbo; 31-07-2007 at 02:31 PM.

Lick my hairy Backyard Mechanic Turdinator's Avatar

Default Re: ta22 / ra23 hub / wheel bearing differences

There are 2 different hubs for the 22. An early and a late. It looks like you have the wrong hub to suit your strut. I'm pretty sure both inner and outer bearing are wrong. But that the outer (small one) is close enough to feel like it fits. I have some spare hubs that didn't fit on my 22 lying around somewhere. I'll try and work out if they're the big or small ones. If they're the small ones your welcome to them. I'm no help with the caliper though i'm sorry.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: ta22 / ra23 hub / wheel bearing differences

thanks for the info, I wish i knew this earlier, I just swapped both stuts and springs over with a spare set i had becuase i've had no car for 2 days! Hope it can help someone else