Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hiace Engine options (RZH variant) (hiace experts here?)

Junior Member Domestic Engineer urantia's Avatar

Default Re: Hiace Engine options (RZH variant) (hiace experts here?)

yeah i have the 2rz with a carburettor, from what i've found out they kept the carb 2rz until 1998 hiace came out which have the efi 2rz. This motor might be ok, becuase the auto is absolutly rooted. Most of the time the engine revs out in reverse and you dont go anywhere. And today on the way home i was stuck in first , would not change up no matter what, so you can imagine the poor old 2rz had to rev its balls off to get me home.

Excellent to find out the 1uz fits!! and has been done before, i would love to get onto one of those fellas that have done the conversion. Mainly for the torque! An LSD is definetlty a mus and quite an easy upgrade path by the sounds of it (g series centers).

3rz motor and a manual hiace box and setup sounds like the easiest option. Anyone know of any 3rz's forsale at the moment?
    98 3rz-fe Hilux 4x4
    97 Hiace AWD Super Custom 1kz turbo diesel (sold)
    87 MA70 w/ 1JZ-GTE Manual Conversion GT (moss growing on roof deteriorating away but open to offers)

Junior Member Grease Monkey 9000rpm's Avatar

The RZH series Hiaces have the following engines:
    9/89-8/98 2RZ 2.4L single cam carby
    8/98-2005 2RZ-E 2.4L single cam EFI

The 3RZ-FE 2.7 twin cam EFI engine came out in the 8/97-1/05 Hilux
    and RZJ95/RZJ120 Prado's

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Heard of a few converted with VP commodore motors and 3.7 Hilux diffs I think they use the Commodore Auto.

spose the commodore engine isnt a bad engine, definetly would pull better then the carb 2rz.

Would really really love to fit a 1uz in there. Going to go see someone with a 1uz and get some measurement and asses the possibility of fitting that into the cramped engine bay.
    If it looks too tight then i am on the hunt for a 3rz.

Can anyone tell me if the w58's bolt right up the rz engines? i've heard they are very very similar to the hiace/hilux manual gearbox's. I still have to work out how the hiace gearstick connects to the gearbox. as the gearstick is nowhere near where the gearbox is located.
    98 3rz-fe Hilux 4x4
    87 MA70 w/ 1JZ-GTE Manual Conversion GT (moss growing on roof deteriorating away but open to offers)

Forum Sponsor Conversion King

if you have an rz engine in there now it should bolt straight up to the same bellhousing.
    a 1uz is like a big 750x750x750mm cube, obiously its smaller at the bottom but thats a rough size for you.
    cheers
    linden

Oh What a Feeling! Backyard Mechanic c2888's Avatar

I've driven a empty VY V6 powered RZH113, and light truck tyres just light up everytime you dab the throttle.
    I'm sure it still had the original diff, could pull a way taller ratio with ease. Filling it with tradie tools would've helped in the traction department as well.

How much taller is a 3rz-fe than a 2rz?
    The spanner in my avatar is actually a 16mm, that's why it's still new

Quote Originally Posted by The Real Roadrunner
    if you have an rz engine in there now it should bolt straight up to the same bellhousing.
    a 1uz is like a big 750x750x750mm cube, obiously its smaller at the bottom but thats a rough size for you.
    cheers
    linden
    thanx for that info Roadrunner, well since my auto is stuffed i am going to go manual hiace, and as far as i can tell there is only the hiace manual box that can be used (due to the shifters coming out the side and controlled by cables) So there goes that w58 supra box idea. Wonder how strong the hiace gearboxes are.

I have now decided to go the 1uz route. It fits in just fine, only slight clearance issue bieng the thottle body which is easily remedied:
    http://lextreme.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=hiace

(might require login)
    98 3rz-fe Hilux 4x4

If i didn't hate holden so much i would probably consider the swap with the commodore motor.

the van is bieng fitted with solar panels on the roofracks, AGM batteries (superior to deep cycle) To run a couple laptops with 3g internet access and other electrical items like a weaco fridge freezer, all cooking and camping needs, bedding etc The van is getting the works for abit of travel.

So the 1uz is the perfect choice for hauling a loaded hiace which is pretty un-aerodynamic to begin with. Hopefully fuel economy wont be too bad.

Sourced all he stuff needed to convert to manual. Also got powersteering setup for this hiace! hiaces without power steering like mine *shudders*.
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/WRECKING-HIAC...QQcmdZViewItem

If i can get an adaptor for a w58 type gaerbox to bolt to the 1uz, i'm %99 sure the hiace gearbox also bolts up to w58 bellhousings. need to look into this more.

I think im gonna have to start a thread in the conversions section soon.
    Last edited by urantia; 29-07-2007 at 11:58 PM.
    98 3rz-fe Hilux 4x4

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Just so you know in japan the domestic ambulances were long wheelbase hiaces with 1uz's fitted. They had a slightly wider track LSD and a 5 speed automatic transmission. The engine was actually mounted back a bit further and used a bit of the cargo space...

A few people have imported them in NZ you may be able to contact some guys over there for ideas / parts

Junior Member Domestic Engineer Sprinterboy's Avatar

I used to have a 2RZ 1993 hiace, i did plan to put a 1UZ in it, but I sold it. Good luck with the project man!
    AE86 Sprinter - The SC14 Beast (slowly rusting somewhere in the mountains)

My YouTube Channel - Watch and Listen to an Aussie rant as I drive around Washington DC
    SprinterBoyAus on YouTube
    SprinterBoyAus on Facebook

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Quote Originally Posted by stark
    Just so you know in japan the domestic ambulances were long wheelbase hiaces with 1uz's fitted. They had a slightly wider track LSD and a 5 speed automatic transmission. The engine was actually mounted back a bit further and used a bit of the cargo space...

A few people have imported them in NZ you may be able to contact some guys over there for ideas / parts
    SOME ambulances where like that, and they were all converted after leaving the factory.
    some by toyota technocraft (the division that TRD is part of)
    I DONT WORK FOR TOYOTA ANYMORE
    please, no more PMs!

c2888: not sure how much taller the 3rz would be, its got a longer stroke doesn't it? looking at the power figure difference between the 2rz and 3rz its not a great amount of difference, but seems those 3rz's are ultra strong motors. Pricing for 3rz's are much more then 1uz's by the looks of it.

stark/Mr Revhead

Yeah i found the 1uz hiace ambulances in japan on lexus extreme forums, pretty interesting. The engine bay is also wider in those, be great to just have one of those! but i guess half the fun is doing it yourself. Be interested to know if the crossmember is the same with those hiaces, and if i could get the engine mounts for the 1uz through toyota. Im interested in what 5 speed auto they used. Dont spose you guys have any more info on the 1uz hiace ambulances?

sprinterboy - thanx man

So soon i will start the conversion and document it and have it up in conversions section of toymods, because there needs to be more hiace stuff on here.

if anyone is interested, i am in contact with a dude in NZ who has done the conversion, and has outlined the conversion in an email:

"Fitting a 1Uz into a Hiace is not that hard if you have done a conversion before. I spent around 200hours to get it the way I want it. I used a rear sump with custom mounts that I sell , a 1Kzte turbo diesel gearbox with custom adaptor , diesel KZ linkages , modified standard radiator with super custom extra radiator at the front running a link plus ecu. I did buy the 2RZ-E fuel tank and this contains the fuel pump which is perfect for the job. Custom headers and remote oil filter. There was no cutting of the engine bay ,(check the pictures on my thread) I slight push for the PS pump to have clearance – By hand and a couple of minutes on one lip to allow the #5 plug lead to be removed. Throttle body was modified to allow clearance – read my thread most of that is there.

I have supplied other Hiace conversions some have included log headers as these fit and rear sump soarer headers can fit into some vans. Some have external fuel pumps but the tank swap is very easy and tidy. I recently did two setups with standard management and autos , my mount work but the auto needs a rear mount to be fabricated. Standard management when wired correctly can work very well. Another I supplied mounts for is using standard gearbox with a bell housing , clutch needed special release bearing , standard management and a custom oil filter unit (non air con only) as the oil filters foul the cross member – very neat unit which are often used on jet boats. Our mounts work with the rear sumps but I have heard of mid sumps being used but these are not as neat."
    Last edited by urantia; 31-07-2007 at 08:43 PM.
    98 3rz-fe Hilux 4x4