Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4AGZE Intercooler and exhaust suggestions?

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 4AGZE Intercooler and exhaust suggestions?

Ey everyone, i need some help with suggestions for a new exhaust and intercooler for the 4agze in my ae86 Sprinter.

Background: Engine has just been installed and is running at 10psi with no intercooler (Air intake temperatures at 70-80 DegC!!!) . My mechanic has my EMS running rich and the timing backed off to protect the enigine while i wait on an intercooler.
    'm not sure on what sort of intercooler to get though!

Firstly the intercooler, what size and type can people reccomend for a front mount cooler. I can do the basic measuring up but wanted some ideas on what people have gone for and how succesful it has been. E.g bar and plate, tube and fin ect. and dimensions.

Ok onto the exhaust I have 2 inch extractors and piping all the way through with front and rear muffler. The car is way to noisy, and feels like it is backing off at top end, i think it might have something to do with a restrictive exhaust sizing. Does this sound right to anybody?

Can you reccomend and good exhaust shops in Melbourne?

Any help would be appreciated
    - JD -
    AE86 - Toyota Sprinter - 4AGZE
    AE86 - Toyota Sprinter - Stock!!!

i wrote the Automotive Encyclopaedia roadsailing's Avatar

Default Re: 4AGZE Intercooler and exhaust suggestions?

get a "hybrid style" cooler off a reputable ebay dealer/performance workshop, coolers are dirt cheap these days. size it so it will fit nicely infront of your radiator, sprinters have assloads of space for intercoolers.

i'd go for probably a 2.5 inch system on an engine such as yours (as i would want to turbo it)

but a turbo would quieten it down a lot, so your system will need more thought.

i'd use a resonator up front and a lowish restriction muffler up the back, my sprinter is running a press bent 2 inch system with no resonator and a lukey dogleg muffler, its loud but not overly loud, and i think a resonator would help a lot.

where abouts are you located? i had my work done by midas in blackburn, mainly because it was close to where i put my engine in. I was pretty happy with the job and the price.

just remember that most exhaust guys are fairly lazy, so don't be afraid to spend a bit more on a decent system. apparently dandenong exhausts are quite good.

call around and discuss what you want with them, you should be able to pick out the ricer haters from the guys who know their stuff.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

You may not need to run one. If you keep the boost at around 10 psi, you won't run into any problems if you have a really nice radiator. A chef I used to work for had a turbo sprinter and ran 9psi. No intercooler, but a dual core radiator out of a nissan 4wd or a small truck was installed (can't remember which). He felt there was no need for one, and if he did have one, it would have a dramatic effect on his throttle response.

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

I think most of the guys have covered the intercooler stuff. But i have this to add, firstly make sure that you keep most of the pipe diameter down low, like 2" or 2 1/4" to keep the intake velocity up and reduce the lag you can get with large pipework, also reduces the idle issues.

The exhaust you will want to keep fairly small, aorund 2 1/4" to 2 1/2", this keeps the exhaust velocity up, and theoretically helps a fair bit with scavenging.

Anyway, as for workshop reccomendataions, Performance Exhaust (not Ace) in Ringwood are pretty good, and did a good job on my GZE exhaust from the cat back.
    For intercooler installs Racing Project used to do a good job of that, but i could be biased beacuse i used to work there. They do a combination of autosalon and performance stuff, and three of us there used to own AE86s so they should know what is what.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

jzx100 fan boy Domestic Engineer slide86's Avatar

hey mate.
    im running a 2.5 inch system with 4 into 1 headers. it has a muffler before the diff and a cannon at the back, i remember that it was a bit loud but all GZE are this way with an exhaust. its all the air thats getting pumped through the engine and out.
    a turbo will make it a bit more quiet tho.

as for cooler, definetly run one. a hybrid style as shiny says will do the trick nicely. ill aslo have to invest in this.

when a mate had his ae92 GZE conversion done, he was runing no cooler and had real high under bonnet temps, the performance was shit house. now with a big cooler and cool air intake it runs 13psi and pulls like crazy.

definetly invest in one!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl
    Please visit here, they will have all the answers you need for this "conversion" - www.hot4s.com.au

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

I reckon your 2" exhaust will be fine. Unless it is made very badly I really doubt that it will be restricting anything. Also if you are already complaining about the noise, don't make it any bigger.

As for an intercooler, look for one which has inlet and outlet on the same side (4AGZE stock cooler and MA70 spring to mind) This makes piping easier and shorter. In fact I have my old ZE intercooler and pipework for an AE86 sitting here which you can talk me out of if you want.

An intercooler is a very good idea.

Hen

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Might be interested in the piping could u get me any pics? I have a stock cooler already so wouldnt need it, but i know there pathetic so i was going to upgrade to something better.

So by the sounds of things it might be worth keeping the extractors and exhaust sizing as is and maybe changing just the mufflers, or going with a resonator and muffler?
    - JD -
    AE86 - Toyota Sprinter - 4AGZE
    AE86 - Toyota Sprinter - Stock!!!

Junior Member Carport Converter 4agte's Avatar

for the exhaust bigger is allways better

Junior Member Domestic Engineer myne's Avatar

I say try and keep the intercooler piping as short as possible.
    Mine has about 25km of piping and lags pretty annoyingly

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

25kms? Does the piping come out the bonnet, around the roof, and back in again?

Junior Member Domestic Engineer myne's Avatar

More or less - it also forms the car's body and integral roll cage

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 4agte
    for the exhaust bigger is allways better
    NO, bigger is NOT better for an NA exhaust. Bigger is worse, as it reduces the amount of scavenging effect which the exhaust provides naturally.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Junior Member Carport Converter 4agte's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by takai
    NO, bigger is NOT better for an NA exhaust. Bigger is worse, as it reduces the amount of scavenging effect which the exhaust provides naturally.
    errr i was being sarcastic chill out

edit: hence the

Junior Member Grease Monkey

As I have owned an AE86 with a 4AGZE I can comfortably comment on this topic. You've probably already worked out you need an IC. Personally I wouldn't have a front mount as the IC pipes will be too long. They not only look shit but you'll get a delayed response. This is made even worse if you have a series 2 AFM engine.

Get yourself a water/air IC, either purchased off the shelf (heaps of different types - look on ebay too) or custom built to your sizes and mount above the headers. Shield the IC from the exhaust with either exhaust wrap or by using stainless plate (I did both). You will be happy with the result.

Exhaust wise I used 2.25" with a cat, a resonator and muffler. You don't need any more than that.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer Sprinterboy's Avatar

I guess i'll throw in my 2c

i've got a PWR core custom top and bottom tanks(not end tanks as cooler flows up/down not side/side) all aluminum plumbing.

I've got a pretty poo exhaust but i'll be looking into a 4-1 with a 2 3/4in to tip.