Thread: Aristo 2J -> MA70 Supra : Cruise control questions

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Aristo 2J -> MA70 Supra : Cruise control questions

Hi All,

I will be doing a 2J conversion on my a70 supra very soon, and when I do I would like to keep the cruise control function.

Now reading through Arnouts site (supras.nl) he has an extensive right up on the wiring, and for the cruise control he found the JZA80 cruise control unit\actuators can be used with the existing A70 body signals(speed etc).

My question is, Are the Aristo and Surpa 2J cruise controls the same?
    Has anyone done this conversion successfully using the JZA80\Aristo cruise control unit?

Thanks
    Sam

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Default Re: Aristo 2J -> MA70 Supra : Cruise control questions

If it was me I'd be using the existing cruise control, assuming your car has it. It's a vacuum-operated unit with its own ECU and it gets its speed signal from the dash, so in theory the engine conversion will have no effect on it (provided you hook up your speedo).

Quote Originally Posted by Norbie
    If it was me I'd be using the existing cruise control, assuming your car has it. It's a vacuum-operated unit with its own ECU and it gets its speed signal from the dash, so in theory the engine conversion will have no effect on it (provided you hook up your speedo).
    Thats the thing,
    My MA70 had cruise control, but the mechanic ditched it years ago during my first engine conversion(never again will I let anyone work on my car but me, or someone I really trust ),

So really I lied when I said "I would like to keep the cruise control function"

What I'm trying to figure out is, whats easier\more economical, trying to fit the 2j cruise, or a 7m\1j cruise. All the wiring is still in my car, just not the actuator.
    I'm thinking if my aristo clip comes with cruise it will be cheaper to fit that, assuming someone can confirm its the same as the jza80 units, or shed some light on the matter.

Nay sayer Domestic Engineer Mr Ed's Avatar

So where does the A70 actuator connect into to control the throttle?

But as Norbie said, if it gets its signal from the dash and controls the throttle using a simple actuator that connects into the throttle cable somewhere it should easy enough.

I give no fark for cruise control and I didnt do my throttle cable so I wont be much help in how to do this though sorry. I know Ive got a custom throttle cable but Ive got no idea whether the old M/GA70 cable might be long enough to use with a 2JZ. If you can use youre old throttle cable it should be a piece of piss.
    I used to eat alot of natural foods. That was until I learned that most people died of natural causes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_2jza70
    So where does the A70 actuator connect into to control the throttle?
    Well if I was to use the Aristo unit, then I wouldn't need the a70 actuator.
    If I used an a70 actuator, I assume I would have to find a throttle cable(maybe from a bike shop) as close to the original thottle cable length as possible,
    and use the extra throttle cable spot on the TB(but like you said, this is assuming the a70 cable is long enough.). Might have to relocate the actuator to get the desired length.

Thanks for your input Ed.

Sam

At Work I'm A Grease Monkey Hibba's Avatar

If you used the original ma70 setup you wouldnt need a cable to connect it to the TB, because it works off the accel peddle

MX83 Grande
    DirtyWan Skyline GX

What he said, throttle cable is irrelevant. A new actuator should be easy enough to find, people throw them out all the time when they buy A70 front cuts.

ok this is how I understand the cruise system to work.

an actuator in the engine bay, has a secondary throttle cable attached to the TB next to the primary throttle cable

The actuator then runs to the cruise ECU and controls the throttle via the cruise ECU and input from different signals ie clutch switch, hand brake etc

Now if I kept the original a70 cruise setup, and just hooked up the actuator to 2JZ TB, wouldn't the location and direction of the TB change, thus the need to change the cable?

How does the accel pedal come into it? Does the a70 actuator cable run to the accell pedal instead of the TB?

Appreciate the help guys

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Mkiii
    How does the accel pedal come into it? Does the a70 actuator cable run to the accell pedal instead of the TB?
    Yes.

The 2JZ system uses a second throttle cable attached to the throttle body, but the A70 system is connected to the pedal only so it makes no difference which engine you have.

Ahh, all makes sense now.

Perfect, works out well.

Thanks Norbie