Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turbonetics GT-K series turbos

Mmmm Bickies Domestic Engineer GriZZly's Avatar

Default Turbonetics GT-K series turbos

Hi, im considering using one of these turbos on my next project... This is basically a thread for anyone who HAS bought one and who HAS used it on their car.. ive read a number of other forums and in most cases it turns out to be a shit fight between Garrett, turbonetics and BG..

I just want hard facts, evidence and the experiences of owners..

Cheers

Default Re: Turbonetics GT-K series turbos

I know theyre sorta new and sorta expensive but noone? Bump sorta..

regular fella Conversion King chris davey's Avatar

Probably get more luck on US forums I would say.
    Quote Originally Posted by MR 1JZ View Post
    that interior is so jap...just looking at it makes me want to kill a whale
    QUICKEST 1JZ'S IN OZ

Worlds Fastest 1G Backyard Mechanic

I'd say few if any people in australia have purchased one, let alone run one. And I'd say you'll find little information in the US as well unfortunately. The basics of the matter being they might be better, but exactly HOW much better?? Your not going to pick up 30-50hp or 300-500rpm of spool over the same size turbo in another range or brand. Not to mention if it ever need repair, its all the way back to the US for repair. While I like the turbonetic range, and the new GTK series look HOT, if I were in the US I'd prob own one myself, but not in australia.

6BOOST

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

It just means Turbonetics are know using the Garrett GT wheels instead of the old Garrett T series wheels. Nothing more nothing less.

I'm not sure how beneficial their Anti-Surge design is in comparison with Garrett's design, but I dare say its effective, just not as effective for various commercial reasons.

Best bet would be to ask on the US Forums where these Turbo's are being used by the end User.

You can ask Turbonetics for the Compressor Maps, but I doubt they'ld give them out and I highly doubt they've actually run it on a bench Top analysis to plot the revised Surge line on the Garrett maps.

Actually I take that back.

1000Hp Turbo using a 76mm Inducer Compressor Wheel. Basically the old Garrett T51Rs Turbo's........

What I find funny is the mention of special F1 Turbine wheels........so 15 year old technology........

Make your own mind up > http://www.turboneticsinc.com/turbo_gtk.htm

thanks for the attempt guys, ive done my research too.. Thus i asked purely for people who own and use them and wanted their experiences..

Quote Originally Posted by GriZZly
    thanks for the attempt guys, ive done my research too.. Thus i asked purely for people who own and use them and wanted their experiences..
    Unfortunately I don't think you'll find any top-level racers switching to them after deciphering the specs.

Well, I build turbo kits and size turbochargers/turbine sizes for some of the fastest and most powerful cars in the country on a daily basis, so my statement isn't based on guesswork, the "F1" wheels they are talking about are nothing more than the garrett "GT" style exhaust wheel, absolutely identicle, and I am prob the only person in this country with one of turbonetics F1 P trim turbine wheels in my Mr Turbo T66, which we recently upgraded to from a normal P trim, and all Turbonetics have done is stretch a garrett GT35 turbine wheel 3-4mm to the same diam as a P trim. Their S trim wheels are a 100% direct copy in blade design to the garrett, as is precision's, and Mr Turbo's wheels.

Other than that, I'm not sure about this whole "HP" compressor wheel stuff, but as far as widening the compressor map, thats purely a function of the ported comp cover. Look to some of the US supra sites, and you'll see that many people actually do a anti surge "delete" on their garrett turbo's as it makes MORE power, it just makes it a little laggier, either way, the Mr Turbo dual ceramic ball bearing turbo's can be purchased with a ported cover or non ported cover as well, as can precision, and of coarse garrett. Personally, I have a excel program to plot and map compressor flow pretty accurately, and I have almost every turbo in it, so if you'd like, I'd be happy to see if your engine goes even close to surge anyway, and if it doesn't, then there will be little to gain.

Cheers..........................6BOOST

Try www.billetturbochargers.com, and if you have any questions, call and ask for Mark, and tell him Kyle from 6boost sent you

6BOOST

Junior Member Grease Monkey off-road's Avatar

Out of interest what flange pattern are they. Garret or their own?

You have access to the compressor maps for the GT-K series turbos? i havent been able to find any anywhere?

I do not have the GTK maps, what I'm saying is that if I plot your engine and intended power goals etc on my program, and plot it on say a normal T72, T66, or Garrett style map, and it is nowhere near the left of the map or the "Surge" Line, then there is nothing to be gained with using a GTk Hp compressor wheel. What they are saying is that these wheels don't flow more air, its that they won't surge on smaller engines with big wheels, they haven't widened the map to the right, just the left, and if your engine is nowhere near surge anyway, these things including the ported shroud, will be of little benfit to you.

6BOOST

I was basically looking at a gtk 1000 on a 1uz.. keeping the 1uz stock..

a gt4202 is a perfect match to keep the turbo in peak efficiency but im not really sure what sort of turbo the gtk1000 would correspond with in the T series, T72 etc..
    Last edited by GriZZly; 22-07-2007 at 11:39 PM.

I was basically looking at a gtk 1000 on a 1uz.. keeping the 1uz stock..

a gt4202 is a perfect match to keep the turbo in peak efficiency but im not really sure what sort of turbo the gtk1000 would correspond with in the T series, T72 etc..
    In that case I wouldn't bother unless its for the looks, they are the same turbine end, you'll get faster spool with the divided GT series turbine housing, and on a 4 litre engine, neither turbo will be close to surge which is where the GTK would shine. The GT is cheaper, a known quantity, and can be repaired locally as well.

The GTK1000 has a T76 wheel, they haven't redesigned it, I think they have just changed the manufacturing process to make it more dense and capable of higher boost, the ported cover is the big advancement, and if looking at the map, just moves the surge line further to the left.

6BOOST