Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cheap intercooler piping (exhaust pipe)

she loves me coz im a Conversion King love ke70's Avatar

Default cheap intercooler piping (exhaust pipe)

hey guys, looking to get the intercooler in my ke70 piped up to the 1ggte, and got a quote for around the 400 dollar mark.
    not sure if this is a good price or not?
    they said to keep the price down they will use exhaust piping
    and i got told by someone that it will corrode quite quickly, is this true?

also, if anyone from brisbane can recommend a good place to do exhaust and intercooler work for cheap that would be tops
    cheers guys, andrew

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

Default Re: cheap intercooler piping (exhaust pipe)

Exhaust piping is fine. Paint the outside so that it doesn't rust. And the inside will get a light coating of oil pretty quickly and so wont rust either.

Hen

awesome
    thanks for that hen
    they said they will paint it gloss black (i think its more sophisticated than the ricer polished stainless)
    will the piping even on the other side of the cooler get coated?
    so what would be a good price? with 4 welded bends each side and 3 silicon bends/reducers?

any good shops in brisbane southside that people know of?

cheers again guys

Yay! I'm an Automotive Encyclopaedia Hydra's Avatar

It's best to paint the inside too if possible, never rely on oil leaking in to protect against rust

Junior Member Grease Monkey

i have run cooler pipes on plenty of cars and used pipe from the exhaust shop and never painted the inside, and guess what, they never rusted.

Toymods Midget Automotive Encyclopaedia Yian's Avatar

Mine hasn't rusted in almost 2 years either.
    SHE LIVES!
    1984 MA61, 1998 Honda Hornet CB600F

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

If by exhaust pipe you mean Mild Steel...I have a mild steel piping on my FMIC set-up in my 4agze twinky and have had no worries with rust. I only painted the outside of the pipes where I was going to wrap it with heat tape ( pipes go right over the rocker covers, aparently heat tape can promote rust ). But being only Mild steel if it was to rust in parts you could just cut out and weld in a new piece.....

Junior Member Grease Monkey Jonny Rochester's Avatar

Exhaust tubing has a thin coating on it to prevent rust (to a small degree). Its tin or zink coated.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic ndgcpr's Avatar

i know a place north side i always go to, i used all the stock rubber bends and got it all done for under 100 bucks! i also did it myself and just got them to do some straight pipes. However i am sure a decent aftermarket cooler will add more to that price, it all depends on how nice it all fits and how long its gonna take to do it.

I also thought the engine bay would be too hot for moisture, and thus rust is not a prob, although i guess a big front mount will keep those pipes cool.
    Noisy Diff and Gearbox Club of Pine Rivers
    and you thought your car was loud
    The Soarer brought to you by the letter TT

thanks for all the info guys, sounds like i should be good to go with exhaust pipe, not sure exactly what it is, he just said exhaust pipe, and i said, as long as its cheap
    i may see if they can spray the inside, just to be safe, aslong as it doesnt all peel off and lodge in my cooler...
    ndgcpr: did you make all the bends out of rubber, and just used the piping for straight bits?
    coz this 400 is just piping, ive already mounted the cooler.
    i thought about making it myself from steel tubing, however the prices of the silicon bends and reducers was more than this 400 to get it all welded up.
    all this stuff is new to me, so im learning what is and isnt a good price, and just trying to find a workshop to do it can be a struggle
    thanks again for all the help

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic ndgcpr's Avatar

well off my wreck i got this

Basically used all the bends, got rid of the two plastic bits in the middle and got vertical straight bits made up, it all fitted after a bit of gentle persuasion. so yeah there was very little for them to do for me, just weld an extra port for the BOV and that was about it

Sit down and work out exactly what you want, and where it needs to go, and see if you can't limit the number of bends.
    Noisy Diff and Gearbox Club of Pine Rivers
    and you thought your car was loud
    The Soarer brought to you by the letter TT

That's me before i was a Conversion King -GT-'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ndgcpr
    I also thought the engine bay would be too hot for moisture, and thus rust is not a prob, although i guess a big front mount will keep those pipes cool.
    Yes, your engine bay (and pipes) will be hot while you're driving it around, but when you park and turn it off it cools down. As it does this it will draw the humid atmosphere into the pipes (and engine) and you will get some condensation in there, a bit like dew that forms at night. It depends where you live as to how much of course. The same thing happens in your exhaust; the steam on an cold morning startup is this condensation getting heated and removed.

As to the pipes rusting from this, if you're using the same material as your exhaust it stands to reason that it would rust at the same or slower rate. I say slower just because your exhaust gets much hotter than your 'cooler pipes, and there's a whole lot more corrosive substances in your exhaust gases than i hope are being drawn into your intake, so i would expect this to accelerate the rate of oxidation of your exhaust.

The point, worry about your exhaust rusting before your intercooler piping. Unless you have a stainless system.
    AE93 SX 20V - Next Wakefield track day is 13th of November 2015!
    1:15.47 at Wakefield Park | 1:59.45 at Eastern Creek GP | 1:08.81 at SMP South | 2:04.77 at Phillip Island
    Toymods Club Member

Yay! I'm an Automotive Encyclopaedia Hydra's Avatar

Fair enough, time to figure out my intercooler solution to replace my current POS cooler!

Who da F%^k is Takumi?? Backyard Mechanic 45aken's Avatar

and if u really want to make it cheaper, do a mock up with PVC pipe and fittings, then take them to your exhaust shop and say "bend me some pipes the same shape as these" saves the labour in them having to do all the mearsurement work etc.
    AE86 - coming soon to a quiet mountain pass near you...
    WRX - currently epa'd...

cheers for that ndgcpr unfortunately i have no such items, so i am getting the full system made up.
    i may call the shop and ask them how much cheaper it would be if i gave them a mock up and just got them to bend/weld it all up, and i take it home and fix it myself
    that will also save me trailering the car there to get it piped up, but still have to trailer it to get the exhaust made

the way i have my intercooler mounted at the moment i have 150 mm clearance between the bottom of the cooler and the road, some people have been quick to say that this is far too low, what are peoples opinions?

cheers guys, andrew