Thread: 4A-GE into ST162

Default 4A-GE into ST162

I know some ST162s had the 4A-GE standard so is it easy to fit one into an ST162 that has a 3S-GE, I'm just wondering for disaster recovery in case my 3S-GE blows.
    Theres a Monster in Your Parasol

Current Ride:
    '95 JZA80 Toyota Supra RZ

Former User Conversion King Joshstix's Avatar

Default Re: 4A-GE into ST162

Well I assume since the S and C series boxes are both basically the same that three out of the four engine mounts will bolt striaght up. The gear shift and fule feed/return will all fit straight up.

However the wiring etc will not work and we never got an AT16x in Australia so finding all the parts to make it work would not be easy.

If it's just to keep the car going then replace the 3S with a 3S.

If it's for any other reason then use a better engine, or buy a better car.

Fuel Economy Warrior Carport Converter Vios-GT_07's Avatar

^^ what he said..

AT16x are mostly bigport 4A-GEs so finding a bigport FWD and swapping it over involves finding a (ultra Rare) FX-GT or GT-i corolla pre-89 which is really hard to find now.. and afaik has never seen australia..

i suppose it's something different going the smaller engine but it's not for any practical reason imo.. it's probably easier to replace a 3S with a 3S, and they are still available via low km JDM imports.. KYP auto would have some in stock, if not be able to get it for you
    Research has shown child in front seat causes accidents, accident in back seat causes child

jay zee zee thir tee Carport Converter HAVABEER's Avatar

i know that the UK (might have been an option for the jdm as well) 162 hatch's came delivered with a 4A-GE but i dont think the conversion has been done very often over here. just due to the fact it so much simpler to just drop another 3S engine in there.

as stated before, you'll have to get the computer and loom for the engine as well.

i assume the exhuast and everything will all match up as well, not 100% on that though.

but if your gonna put a 4A -GE in there, at least you know down that track you could do something crazy like updating it to a 4A-GZE.
    As they say in the book, assembly is the reverse of dismantling, but slower cos you forgot where all the bits are

Junior Member Carport Converter Dale's Avatar

As said if it were just for disaster recovery, you'd replace the 3sge with a 3sge, if you just wanted to do it for something different a 4age would certainly be that... but a drop in capacity, power and torque output why would you? Even if it was a 4agze, it would be easier to put a 3sgte in and you'd be making more power right away with the potential there to make more power in the end as well
    I am the sun

The Aberrational Chief Engine Builder Andrew162's Avatar

Josh I've seen AT160's advertised on carsales.com.au before and seen them on the road... a rarity to be sure, but they're definitely here. they're more like the coupe version (ST) of the 162 that we know, and they have headlights that are similar to the Camry/Apollo of the day, not the ones which pop-up.

on-topic, another 3S-GE would definitely be the go, but a Gen1 might be out of the question, as they're becoming harder to source and none of them have low km's anymore. a Gen2 might be a feasible option as these are more common.
    Clicky -> THEN: 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid
    Clicky -> NOW: 1985 ST162 Celica SX (Gen III 3S-GE) - Kitted & Resprayed

TRIKKE | Video

Founding ****** Automotive Encyclopaedia Mos's Avatar

We did have AT160's.. a friend had one.

In terms of disaster recovery, IMHO (and everyones' in this thread, so it seems) the 4AGE is one of the worst possible choices - you have all the issues that come with a conversion and none of the benefits (unless you can find a complete wrecked one).

Possibly a 5SFE might be the wisest as you can get them reasonably young and we have them in copious amounts but you will still be faced with a number of usual conversion issues.

A large proportion of enthusiasts' choices for disaster recovery is an upgrade - say when you blow a 7M you install a 2JZ(GTE) as recovery

Mos.
    Admin, I.T., Founding Member, Toymods Car Club Inc.
    2000 IS200 Sports Luxury 1UZ-FE VVTi, 1991 MX83 Grande 2JZ-GTE (sold)

Hmmm, well you've all got interesting opinions, how about a 4A-GE 20v

But yeh as it is the engine is fine, just wondering what options there could be, but it might be a better idea to just whack in a 3S-GTE when it dies, or throw the car in the bin lol.
    Theres a Monster in Your Parasol

Current Ride:
    '95 JZA80 Toyota Supra RZ

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by Strider
    Hmmm, well you've all got interesting opinions, how about a 4A-GE 20v

But yeh as it is the engine is fine, just wondering what options there could be, but it might be a better idea to just whack in a 3S-GTE when it dies, or throw the car in the bin lol.
    I'd say there your two best options. I love 4AGE's, great little engine, but if I had an SW20 or ST*** and the 3S blew, I wouldn't be in any hurry to swap in a 4A

Founding ****** Automotive Encyclopaedia Mos's Avatar

Don't get me wrong, I had a 4AGE that served me well for 6 years despite much abuse.
    Just saying there's an engine and a chassis, and a 4AGE just isn't the right engine for that chassis. In a sub 1000kg corolla, sure, but not in a heavier car that can easily accept a bigger engine.
    Mos.
    Admin, I.T., Founding Member, Toymods Car Club Inc.
    2000 IS200 Sports Luxury 1UZ-FE VVTi, 1991 MX83 Grande 2JZ-GTE (sold)