Thread: 4ac block & 4ag block identical????

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 4ac block & 4ag block identical????

I have to get my rings done in my 4ac but instead of pulling the motor out now because i need the car to get around in, i have a 4ag block lying around i was thinking of getting it reco'd then slap the 4ac head on, are the blocks identical. I know the pistons are different but will the 8v head work well 16v pistons and finally will it work?

Classic Not Plastic Domestic Engineer ace's Avatar

Default Re: 4ac block & 4ag block identical????

i don't know ur answer
    did u search at all b4 this post? surely the answer is somewhere on these forums or the net....
    My TA22
    Quote Originally Posted by gianttomato about new cars
    Yeah sure, it goes alright and it's got air conditioning, cup holders and automatic tampon removers, but where's the charm?

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Let me get this straight. You need your rings done.

You don't want to pull the engine out because you need it to go places.

Then you suggest pulling engine out anyway, and putting the 16v bottom end in, and putting the 4ac head on it.

Sounds like a lot of hassle to me. Why not buy another 4ac? I've seen them go for $100 and even less on these forums. I'm sure a wreckers would be glad to sell you one. Some have even had to pay to get their 4ac taken away!

It'd be a super easy swap. When you wreck that engine (which is not easy to do; apparently 4ac's are really hard to break), buy another!

Junior Member Grease Monkey Jonny Rochester's Avatar

Someone will give you a complete 4A-C. I could't get rid of mine.

Putting a 4A-C head on 4A-G pistons is just too weird. Either find another free 4A-C, or spend the time and build a 4A-G.

Putting in a 4age will require the fuel system to be overhauled for EFI. ie, money.

Yeah, 4ac heads on 4ag bottom end is weird.

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

This car is not performanced based its a run around while a rebuild my gte.The thing is that the 4ac head just got reco'd so to save money i wanna use a 4age block that i have lying around. I did some research i've found that the 4ac & early 4age blocks are 3 rib & thats what i have the only difference is the cut outs in ge pistons for the valves. So i'm gonna try the ge block its just sitting there rusting away.

apprentice pwnerer Grease Monkey phrostbyte's Avatar

If you find out it wont work or something, just pay shipping and you can have my 4ac. The head on it is pretty stuffed, but you say you have a reco one, so there ya go .

Kev.
    RIP Kev. You'll be missed.

Old worklog of the last 2 KE70s (long since updated): http://ke70.theicy.net/
    Current AE71 4AGE Daily Driver (Soon to undergo AE86 front end and rear bumper!!: [COLOR=Blue][url]http://www.toymods.net

Quote Originally Posted by pro-16t
    This car is not performanced based its a run around while a rebuild my gte.The thing is that the 4ac head just got reco'd so to save money i wanna use a 4age block that i have lying around. I did some research i've found that the 4ac & early 4age blocks are 3 rib & thats what i have the only difference is the cut outs in ge pistons for the valves. So i'm gonna try the ge block its just sitting there rusting away.
    Anything with 4ac in a sentence is not performance based!

Why go to the trouble dude, just get a FREE 4ac block and chuck it in. Problem solved, and reliable enough.

Then again it's your car; you can put whatever you like in it. I just think you'll run into more problems that way to get the thing going. What if your 4age block is stuffed? Do you know that it works properly? You'll need to pull your car to pieces again, and that means more time off the road.
    Last edited by DigitalPho3nix; 02-02-2006 at 10:53 PM.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

all this talk of Free 4AC engines is really getting to me - My 4ac in my 85 Rolla blows oil smoke like you wouldnt believe!! it has shot rings. If anyone has a good 4AC that they want to give away in the Adelaide area, please let me know.

Cheers

Matty

pedro sanchez wannabee Domestic Engineer Dom-AE71's Avatar

i know you guys are saying a 4ac head onto a 4age block is useless, but can you do it the other way round? ie 4age head onto a 4ac block? that way you would be able to LEGALLY run carbies becasue the block is orignally a carbie spec engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom-KE55
    i know you guys are saying a 4ac head onto a 4age block is useless, but can you do it the other way round? ie 4age head onto a 4ac block? that way you would be able to LEGALLY run carbies becasue the block is orignally a carbie spec engine.
    True, but is it really worth the trouble?

Hmmm, what about carburetted 4afe then?

the answer to your question is yes (but). The head will bolt onto the block but you will have a few issues to solve. You will need to fit the 4AC timing belt, crank gear & tensioner. the 4AG flywheel is required as the 4AG crank has 8 bolts, not 6. The pistons will be OK, provided the AG engine has stock (almost flat) pistons and the 4AC head has not been shaved heaps, so that the larger intake valve on the 4AC head, might hit the piston crown. You need to do a dummy assembly to check this out.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic bathurst-91's Avatar

(character limit)
    ----
    -Andrew
    ------------------
    A race continues forever...

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic bathurst-91's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalPho3nix
    Why not buy another 4ac?
    Why not buy a 4age head?
    ----
    -Andrew
    ------------------
    A race continues forever...