Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Themofan Switch Adaptor Thread - With superawesomeness Speco Adaptor Stuff.

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Default The Themofan Switch Adaptor Thread - With superawesomeness Speco Adaptor Stuff.

Ok, i know that most of the 2JZ's wont have a thermofan switch stock as they use clutch or hydro fans, but for those who have converted to thermofans, where have you put the switch?
    I had a quick squiz at my GE and cant find any spare bosses unlike the 7MGE.

I was thinking of using an inline one with the top rad hose akin to my aftermarket temp sensor.

Other ideas?
    Last edited by takai; 02-08-2007 at 10:06 AM.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Not just a regular Backyard Mechanic ProjectSleeper's Avatar

Default Re: 2JZ Themofan Switch Location

I run the Jaycar controller for my thermo fans from the thermocouple / probe that is for the dashboard guage. There are two about 5 cm apart - one is for the Dash, the other is for the ECU..

For the DEfi gauge, I had a custom stainless steel inline fitting made up for the top radiator hose...

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

I've always used the top radiator hose, it's easy and it works well.

Ah ok, so i wasnt blind. There arnt any spare bosses.

Ill have to get another of the inline rad adaptors.
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

i 8 a p00 Carport Converter rob's Avatar

tak, speco make one thats pretty cheap and the tridon temp sensors will screw into it, can see it here, remember the part numbers cause no auto shop will know them.

http://www.speco.com.au/gauges_ad.html

i have successfully taken the temp from the top rad hose with no issues but most cars with OEM thermos take the temp from the bottom of the radiator.
    - ma61 + 2jz-gte + v160 + 3.5 torsen

Rob, the electric temp sensor adaptors are 1/8" NPT im pretty sure, any ideas what the mechanical ones are? The Tridon sensors dont go as small as 1/8 NPT i dont think.

Edit: looking at the adaptors they have listed i think they would be 5/8" UNF. Can someone confirm?

Default Re: 2JZ Themofan Switch Location - Now with extra special adaptor talk.

my mate got a speco adapter for his 1JZ MA61 and a tridon switch fit in it

i have one on order and will be picking it up tomorrow i can check the size of it then

Found this off Google:
    Quote Originally Posted by Some random car forum
    The thermo switch is a Tridon unit #TFS140, cost me $66.00. I have fitted this into a new product from Speco, It's a radiator hose adaptor. It is a polished billet alloy adaptor with a 16x1.5mm threaded section which fits the magna (and a host of other) thermo switches. It comes as either a 5/8 or 1/8 unit...I think the part number was 547-06, cost $35.00. Looks great and has heaps of meat around the threaded section. Came with 2x hose clamps, adaptor and brass fitting if you were to fit a temp gauge to it.
    Im vaguely confused, as i think he has just tapped the 16x1.5 sender into the 5/8 housing. Probably crossthreaded it in.

For our rads im guessing it would be a 547-04 for a 34mm ID rad hose.

Founding ****** Automotive Encyclopaedia Mos's Avatar

As already mentioned, factory thermostats are in the bottom tank, so that's where I'd put them. I also wouldn't use the head or water outlets on the engine for the sensor position as the fans don't need to come on unless the temp of the water in the radiator is too high - what's in the engine is secondary (IMO).

Can't comment on the thread size, sorry.

Mos.
    Admin, I.T., Founding Member, Toymods Car Club Inc.
    2000 IS200 Sports Luxury 1UZ-FE VVTi, 1991 MX83 Grande 2JZ-GTE (sold)

Cheers Mos, i would definately be running this in the bottom rad hose.

I think i understand what the guy means now, from looking at the Speco site it seems very likely that the inline gauge adaptor will come stock with a 16x1.5 adaptor from 5/8 UNF.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer Ribfeast's Avatar

I use the 'voltage switch' Jaycar kit. This taps into/shares the temp sensor that my aftermarket water temp gauge on my dash uses.
    If you do find a neat way to control thermo fans (perhaps with a tridon screw-in 100-95 switch) please let me know, as I reckon cutting into radiator hoses is a messy way to do it.
    1989 Toyota Cressida GLX 1JZGTE twin turbo *SOLD*
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2847
    12.36 @ 111mph on eBay "China" CT12A steelies
    244rwkw / 328hp @ 18psi

The neatest way is a thermostat in the bottom radiator tank, which would involve installing a boss for that purpose = expensive.
    A less expensive way is to use the adaptor in the bottom hose while still remaining technically correct (IMO).
    The least technically correct way, but possibly the neatest appearance wise, is to use one of the existing temperature senders in the water neck (as you have Robfeast).
    All these choices
    Mos.

Given that its a 2JZGE and has the temp sensors under the inlet manifold im not particularly concerned with it. I dont trust the Cressida stock gauge already and ill be putting an adaptor in the top tube for the Autometer gauge, so putting one in the bottom tube isnt alltogether a big issue for me.

More kits and voltage switches isnt what this car needs, its my daily driver, not a race car.

and the least technical way is a maccas straw in the overflow bottle*

*dont do this

Quote Originally Posted by takai
    I dont trust the Cressida stock gauge already
    There's nothing not to trust The needle doesn't move over about 10 degrees but the resistance and voltage keep changing as temperature changes.
    Mos.