Thread: TA22 undergoing conversion

Forum Member

Default TA22 undergoing conversion

Hi guys, just joined the forums, i have recently got myself a ta22, im going to completely gut it and re-build it. So far ive striped it right down, engine/drive line has gone. i will be powering it with a ca or sr turbo, my question is have many people taken this path before me? im not asking what needs to be done thats pretty obvious my questions are:

1. Whilst doing the conversion what/if any problems did you face, eg. steering rack, x member cleating sump etc, i haven't got the engine yet waiting till tax time .

2. I will be chasing 250kw atw +, what diff set up would you recommend, ive heard a hilux can adapt other toyota disk brakes or something? i will obviously search the forums soon to find out more, an lsd version of this soulf take the power fine yes?

3. 3rd question is just clearance issues? if any,

i thank anyone who can answer these questions, if not im sure ill work it out for myself over the next year or so.

And if anyone has pictures with similar conversions i would love to see the.

Thanks

Shane

toyota-less Carport Converter skiddz's Avatar

Default Re: TA22 undergoing conversion

mmmk i suggest a bit of research, a CA or SR will require you to cut the mid floorpan crossmember move the handbrake and certainly require a new tailshaft, for the diff id suggest either a shortened r30 or hilux and dont worry a bout rear breaks at this stage, go the rona/pug/hilux conversion on the front, if you dont know what im talking about then search
    2T out 4A in....

4A out 3VZ in. 3vzfe rebuild, RWD-ising, and conversion for ta22

Forum Member

as i said i will be searching the forums for similar conversions, tail shaft was obvious, thank you for the feedback, as far as cutting the floor plan i believe the trans tunnel is large enough for the gearbox, but its the gb a bit longer then the std position in the celica is it? any pictures of how far back it will sit? re pos the handbrake wont be too much work.

toyota-less Carport Converter skiddz's Avatar

the gear shifter comes up right in the middle of the mid floorpan crossmember, and i mean dead set middle the folks at stz automotive up here have an sr powered one had it at jambo last yr
    2T out 4A in....

4A out 3VZ in. 3vzfe rebuild, RWD-ising, and conversion for ta22

umop apisdn Chief Engine Builder twentyEight's Avatar

Sleepin22 has a TA22 with an SR20 and his shifter comes out just in front of the handbrake...

It's definately closer, and moving the handbrake would make for a slightly more enjoyable drive, but it's not totally needed...
    ([][][]II--LT--II[][][])

Green '77 RA28 Celica - VVTi V8 Goodness...

is the bestest Conversion King LeeRoy's Avatar

Floorpan/tunnel cops a walloping to get the box in there also. They also end up really tight on the firewall and the motor is up against the firewall also. Makes for a pita if u need to do a clutch change but it is a feasible conversion as the motors are relatively cheap and 250kw is an achievable goal.

Some food for thought though, have a good look at what exactly you require to get an sr20 making 250kw cause thats when u start getting pretty serious and even to that point your looking big dollars. If your going that far then your probably better off keeping with toyota and going along the route of a 3sgte. Recently a proven 250rwkw 3sgte conversion package for a ta22 went for sale for $7500 which is far cheaper than the sr20 conversion will cost you and in my opinion it delivers a better result.

- LeeRoy
    Daily Driver: Red Ae93 Project: My TA22 - now with 3s-gte
    D is for Disco, E is for Dancing

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic TC1600's Avatar

I'd suggest getting in touch with Jordan (JFAllen on these forums), he has a TA22 with CA18 conversion, he didn't do the conversion, but you could have a look at it and chat with him about his thoughts. He's an approachable guy, with plenty of knowledge of TA22s in general.

****yas Grease Monkey

i reckon if you want that power go a sr, initial outlay is a little more but will be easier to obtain 250kw. aftermarket is much bigger for sr too. throw on a big turbo, fuel, ecu a set of rockerstoppers and you've got a good package

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

I had an sr20t in my old ra23. The shifter just hit the handbrake when put in reverse. The handbrake was modified to go on a slight angle which fixed the problem. Or if you want undo the shifter and rotate it 180 degrees so that it angles towards the dash. - seriously the prob is easily fixed. Although having said that a ta22 is a bit tighter than a 23.

I'd say sr would be cheaper than a 3s just from the point of view that there's more aftermarket support. A friend's pulling 280rwkw in his sr20t with a computer, exhaust, injectors, gt2871rs turbo, and forgies. stock cams, stock intake manifold.

There were no clearance issues for steering arms. but once again my old celica was a 23. A bit longer in the front than a 22.

At the end of the day ppl will hate the idea of having an sr in a toyota! Than again at least you don't have to worry about converting it to rwd.

whats your budget?