Thread: tuning advice for NA 4age

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default tuning advice for NA 4age

So..... I find out this week that there is going to be NHRA sanctioned 100 Foot shootouts tomorrow. A little late to do anything major but maybe enough time to tweak. Straight up 4AGE Bigport sitting in an AW11. Anyone have any tips to gets this little sucker off the line faster?
    Quote Originally Posted by merc-blue
    Cheap tools take all the fun out of working on a car.
    My Rebuild and Conversion.... '81 Tercel 3A -> 4A-GE 20 Valve - ON HOLD.
    BAD ASS 1986 MR2 - Finally Moving forward.

DIY Bloodline Domestic Engineer Talasas's Avatar

Default Re: tuning advice for NA 4age

Get the timing right for your fuel and have a light breakfast

Make sure the air filter is nice and clean.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move." -HHGG

i wrote the Automotive Encyclopaedia roadsailing's Avatar

yeah take everything out of the car that isnt bolted down (and anythign that is easily unbolted) check timing, change oil etc.

if you are feelign brave, slacken your fanbelt off, a guy at my work had his car set up so when he did the warmup burnout, it would flick off the belt for less parasitic drag on teh engine (had some little wire loops to keep it out of harms way)
    like to drift? live in victoria?
    www.vicdrift.com

now targeting: targets

formerly shinybluesteel

Quote Originally Posted by Talasas
    Get the timing right for your fuel and have a light breakfast

Make sure the air filter is nice and clean.
    - Clean filters always help. I hear a K&N filter actually reduces power in the AW11?

- Take all the crap out of your car, maybe even stereo gear?

- Give it a good clean on the outside and inside, and underneath too. Get all that weighty dirt and sand off.

- Oil change with some good synthetic Mobil 1? I hear that gives a couple of extra HP.

Fuel Economy Warrior Carport Converter Vios-GT_07's Avatar

up the timing a couple of degrees and run high octane fuel?

and also yea good spark plugs really help the response .. plus it's cheap, what, 15 bucks for a set of 4?

i also found, when doing autocross, an oversized exhaust is really bad for take-off..
    Research has shown child in front seat causes accidents, accident in back seat causes child

broken down ex guru Chief Engine Builder feral4mr2's Avatar

Oil change with some good synthetic Mobil 1? I hear that gives a couple of extra HP.
    these are 20 odd year engines, IMO they do not need mobil synthetic oil. a mixed blend is all i would use, and depending on the k's the engine has done (oil useage if any) be careful in what grade oil you choose.

up the timing a couple of degrees and run high octane fuel?
    yea this has worked for me in the past. by memory i took it to ~16 degrees (last scribe mark on the crank pulley) while in diagnostice mode. if you hear any detonation you wanna back it off a little though.
    but this wont got you off the line faster.

dont rev it too high off the line to help reduce wheel spin, rev it too low and bog down. it's a damn hard medium to find.

have fun man.

already running apexi power intake, engine is old but only has 15,000k since rebuild im already running synthetic(and yes it makes a difference) I think the previous owner has put in an LSD since i cannot get the wheels to spin no matter how hard i try. I guess i could check the plugs and replace if need be, never thought about changing the timing though, already run nothing but premium fuel, suppose adding octane booster could help any detonation i might have. It sounds like it will be raining here otherwise i would lose the sunroof and engine lid, could lose the rear wing and skirts though... might be worth a few fractions of a second.

thanks guys

Junior Member Domestic Engineer MRMOPARMAN's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by feral4mr2
    these are 20 odd year engines, IMO they do not need mobil synthetic oil. a mixed blend is all i would use, and depending on the k's the engine has done (oil useage if any) be careful in what grade oil you choose.
    i think what was meant by that quote was oil viscosity, not how its made. the thinner the oil, the less drag created by the oil srapyin round the engine and oil pump having to pump thicker oil etc etc, but at a trade off of lower oil pressure.

i ran mobil 1 in my bigport until i blew it (other reasons than low oil pressure) and it ran great. didnt really get to compare the old thicker oil to the mobil 1 though so i cant say if the hp was noticable or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by cuzzo
    well have to see what gen is better the ke30 or the ke(yuk)25
    Quote Originally Posted by Bananaman
    Thats like comparing a house brick and a stiletto

broken down ex guru Chief Engine Builder feral4mr2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DeftAnesthetik
    I think the previous owner has put in an LSD since i cannot get the wheels to spin no matter how hard i try.
    the PO would of had to have searched high and low and spent a fair quid to get a lsd for the C52.
    not that it's recomended (extra stress on drivetrain, wears out tyres faster), i never had any trouble breaking traction with the feral when it was a na bigport, neither do i have trouble now with the vermin. i like burning rubber.

Forum Sponsor Conversion King

why hasn't anyone mentioned a 100hp shot of gas that would do the trick nicely and you could have it fitted (bodgy) in an hour , just dont blame me if you cant drive home with a rod out the side.

Quote Originally Posted by The Real Roadrunner
    why hasn't anyone mentioned a 100hp shot of gas that would do the trick nicely and you could have it fitted (bodgy) in an hour , just dont blame me if you cant drive home with a rod out the side.
    I suspect he'll be wanting to still drive his car after.

Giggle gas has its uses, but they are far and few between.

Quote Originally Posted by feral4mr2
    the PO would of had to have searched high and low and spent a fair quid to get a lsd for the C52.
    not that it's recomended (extra stress on drivetrain, wears out tyres faster), i never had any trouble breaking traction with the feral when it was a na bigport, neither do i have trouble now with the vermin. i like burning rubber.
    yeah i'm believing that since i have been casually searching and have yet to come up with anything. Odd though, this machine pulls REAL good but the only thing i can spin on is gravel or wet roads. And speaking of wet, its comming down in buckets right now so im thinking the event is a no-go. (theres always next year)

gives me time to be mod happy i guess. Going the same route as you are Feral with a twincharge setup. anyways... thanks for all the advice guys, if its still on and i make it out i will let you know how it goes.