Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: URGENT! Nut size for st184 1990 celica drive axle

Dude with a spanner Grease Monkey bajachris88's Avatar

Default URGENT! Nut size for st184 1990 celica drive axle

What size is the nut on the drive axle (left hand side) of a 1990 celica sx (st184) 5sfe engine. etc. etc. What size socket?

Hey guys, as some of you know, i been having troubles with my left wheel after a silly incident.

Thanx to all that have helped, its gone a long way and i believe i know what it is. I had the hub replaced with a whole 2nd hand assembly including hub carrier, hub, ball joint, bearing etc. etc.

But... what the issue is, is that my drive axle nut keeps coming loose. The nut lock is dead, so should be the reason y its screwed. I need to go out and buy the socket for the nut, was just wondering, what size socket do i use? What size is the nut?

Thanx all...

best regards,
    Christopher.

Thanx heaps to all that have replied to my previous threads, ur tips helped. I'm starting to get very familiar with my hub assemblies on the front end now . GOOD ON YA GUYS!
    st185 GT4 309 hp 12.4s 1/4 mile 16psi

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia 2jzhilux's Avatar

Default Re: URGENT! Nut size for st184 1990 celica drive axle

30 mm ....

BBP racing 3rzfe+T Carport Converter BeRad's Avatar

There should be a split pin that stops it from coming loose, that nut should also be torqued down really hard, i cant remember the specs but check out the big green book or something, or if you have a manual. there a pain in the arse to get off usualy.

Take the nut with you and buy the socket just to be sure
    Only the shittiest of wines come in 5 litres

boosted 3rz hilux *new project* mwahaha
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...940#post134940

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia 2jzhilux's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeRad

Take the nut with you and buy the socket just to be sure

yeah do that on second thoughts because it either 30 or 32mm not 100 percent sure

thanx guys.

It was a 30mm nut, was suppose to be torqued at 137 ft-lbs or sumfin

The 30 mm socket wasn't deep enough to cover the nut sufficiently with the drive axle sticking out of the wheel and pressing up on the back of the socket. So i spent the rest of the day looking for another 30mm socket all round my district with no luck

But this bolt has been tightened 3 times now by the pros in the last couple of weeks, so i gotta take it back to them again to get them to find out y the hell this thing keeps coming loose. the nut lock and split pin were still on, and the nut is in a position perfect and firm for the nut lock to sit ncie and tight on the split pin... so its really wierd.

the workshop fellas should be able to do something... but at the moment with the money i have been spending on dud strategies to fix the bugger, my patience is running thin with this car

Why can't they all be as simple as the 60s vee dubs (Grizzles off in the background)

Fear the Rapeodile Carport Converter blakeg's Avatar

mate had this issue in his 162 and the CV was stuffed..

Bugger . They aren't cheap either. Maybe a 2nd hand drive axle shaft, the entire shaft... would do the trick. hmmm

(I am in need of a balling out eyes smilie lol) Or a supa rage one... one or the other...
    Maybe one of a guy balled up in a dark corner shivering...

Junior Member Carport Converter Dale's Avatar

Just torque it down harder, get a long breaker bar or a bit of pipe to go over a normal size 1/2 inch drive one and just torque it as hard as you can while someone stomps on the brake, then put the split pin in

If it still comes loose then the thread on the outer CV joint is probably shagged, it might have been crossthreaded in the past, a new outer CV joint will = 50 bucks if you shop around, or about $135 for a complete new shaft
    I am the sun

be able to get a good cond 2nd hand one for sweet f a.what do you mean its coming loose? seen as you just said the split pin and nut is still on, what becomes loose?

As dale said, 160ft lbs is a fair bit, just stand on it.

thats the confusing thing. The guys at the workshop have been saying it gets loose, and so have tightened it up a few times... yet the split pin is in, the nut lock is on, htere is no freeplay between the splitpin, nutlock and nut as they are firmly held together, and hte nut doesn't undo by hand to be loose.... but the whole shaft has alot of free play and to come in and out of the centre of the hub

(IE: you can pull on the end of the drive axle from the outside and see the whole thing move in and out of the hub to an extent that i wouldn't call safe). Its about 7mm free play from a rough guess of what i been seeing. Enough for me to worry about

And the interesting thing is that the noise i have been getting for weeks is exactly the same noise i am getting when i move this drive axle out and in.

I"m not sure you guys are getting my drift, if not i can get some pics and point to things to explain easier. My terminology isn't 100% too so that can lead to me confusing everyone too.

get a pic, what side shaft is it you mighta said it already sorry

if its the passenger is it pulling out of the gearbox 7mm aswell? or just moving from the cv joint to hub?

will get a pic if i can find one.

Yea its passenger and its pulling out of the gearbox as well... the whole thing is budging :O

If you pull the shaft out, if you do take the oil out of the box first or youll have 3 litres of oil everywhere, there is a groove/slot cut into the shaft, and a washer sought of thing sits in there and its the same diameter as the shaft, but when the shaft is pushed into the gearbox it drops down into a slot in the box which holds it in place, this may be damaged and there for the shaft can move freely, ussualy you need to knock the shaft out with a big screw driver and tap the shaft out with a hammer but if it moves something is damaged. and that is the only thing that holds it in the box, beside the nut that holds the shaft inside the hub.

Where as the drivers side has a bracket that bolts to the block with a big circlip which holds that side in, if you undo the bracket, and remove the shaft from the drivers hub, it will just pull out of the box, if you ever get energetic dont remove the cir clip, just take out the 4 bolts that hold the bracket to the block, the cir clip is a PITA to put back on.

Junior Member Carport Converter Dale's Avatar

If the whole thing is coming out of the gearbox that much then it mustn't be in the gearbox past the C clip (or the C clip has come off all together)

Is it the actual joint coming out of the gearbox or just the shaft moving and the joints remaining still

berad beat me to it there
    I am the sun

what else is there to do on a sunday evening .