Thread: what oil and flush to use on my 18rc?

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default what oil and flush to use on my 18rc?

hey everyone,

im planning today to get some new oil into my run down 18rc in the process id like to flush the engine.. i was just wondering whats the best way to go by this and what flush do i use? can you recommend any? and also what engine oil would best protect my 18rc for now its nto going to be pushed very hard as im just going to clean it all out and use it as a daily sort of thing for the time being?

i searched already and found nothing and i know this has been covered before but i cant remember where if you could maybe redirect me?

thanks again

Jai

Default Re: what oil and flush to use on my 18rc?

also what oil filter to use for the 18rc?

Hopefully soon a 5S-GTE Chief Engine Builder MWP's Avatar

Dont do an oil flush...
    If its an oldish engine (i imagine it is), itll probably do more harm than good.

Just get the engine up to running temp, empty the oil, swap the filter, and put new oil in.

Any normal 5w20 will do fine.
    As for the filter, just ask where ever you buy it from.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia 011's Avatar

Engine oil flushes are fairly harmless in old engines. They will do more good than bad. You will harm your engine if you take it to redline with the flush in your oil, because it will thin your oil out and break it down. At idle, however, it is fine.

On really old cars with a lot of numbers on the clock, I've heard stories of cars blowing a bit of smoke because their rings were so encrusted with carbon that they were actually helping keep up compression. However, if your car is at this point, it would probably be a sign that your rings aren't the only things inside your engine that are rooted. The flush would probably do more good in other parts of the engine than harm, in this case.

At least, this is what I have been assured by mechanics and Nulon sales reps... This is what I use: http://www.nulon.com.au/products.php?productId=eof.

I only use it when I do the first oil change on a car I've bought, however. After that, it's not necessary if you change your oil every 5000km.
    Latest news on my adub!
    > august 15 New brakes the next thing. Otherwise, it's quick, shiny and reliable. Enjoying every drive. =D And my car's becoming a bit of a celebrity!

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic leso's Avatar

a cup of diesel fuel in the oil...run around the block get the engine warm...then change your oil.

thanks guys

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by leso
    a cup of diesel fuel in the oil...run around the block get the engine warm...then change your oil.
    I've had this reccomended to me by a mate once, but I was very sceptical of it. Is it effective?

Best way to flush it is to buy some cheap oil (keep it the same weight as you plan to use when you put in some lovely ELF oil ) then run that for about a couple of hundred km, then change your oil.

Also I suggest getting a magnetic sump plug... it'll pick up a million metal filings that'll wear your engine out over time... And it's true about the carbon build up keeping compression. If the engine has close to 200,000kms... i highly recommend getting your valve seals replaced, complete gasket overhaul (you can get a complete gasket kit for a decent price these days with o-rings and all).. piston rings, spark plugs and leads, timing belt of course... do your diff oil, power steering and transmission and brake oils etc...

oh yeah and fill up your washer resevoir

will do cheers

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic leso's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lagstar
    I've had this reccomended to me by a mate once, but I was very sceptical of it. Is it effective?

my brother in law was service manager for a local toyota dealership he is the one who told me about it ...and 2 of the 4 auto teachers here at tafe say it works...i have used it before will no ill effects.. my navara which has 280,000km on the clock is uses no oil ..so im sticking with it.