Thread: Liberty engine swap

Cool Liberty engine swap

Okay, firstly, apologies that this isnt exactly toyota related...but i was chatting with a mate tonight, whos recently bought himself a new car.

Anyway, it's a 93 Subaru libery Heritage - all the options, auto, very slow, but luxury interior and stuff.

We were toying with the idea of getting a halfcut + some other fast bits, and doing an engine swap + manual conversion - also improving suspension and brakes, etc - preferably without going too crazy, and if possible, stay with direct bolt-on swaps.

Now, firstly, how interchangable are Subaru parts? Is it going to be difficult to put, say, an ej20t or ej25tt or whatever they are, into it? There is a particular Forester GT halfcut at a wreckers nearby - twin turbo ej25 i believe it is? with a 5 speed manual.

The other thought was just stay reasonable and put in the engine + box out a newer RX - stay NA, but maybe get some cams and stuff.

Also, what about other awd engine setups? (Lan-Evo, 3sgte, etc etc) Or is it better to stay with the boxer engine?

While it's obviously currently primarily a luxury car - it would be quite unique, but i reckon very nice to have some more power, and be able to drive it a bit harder, especially up in the twisties. It would be great to be able to keep things like the ABS, and the luxury parts - now yes, it's gonna weigh a bit more, but i really think the point would be to get it going a bit quicker - but maintain the pimpin' luxury of a 'Heritage' Liberty.

Everyones thoughts?

And pray forgive me for posting a non-toyota based conversion here - I myself have a toyota, and am a member, and there doesnt seem to be a decent subaru forum around - and lots of peeps here will be able to answer the questions, because you're all so very knowledgeable (sp??)

Thanks in advance
    James
    Quote Originally Posted by blacktopspirit
    Gastro has hurt me for 4 days now! want to die! to scared to fart, to scared to eat, to scared to be more than 4 meters away from toilet!!!

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic M.J.H's Avatar

Default Re: Liberty engine swap

They should be a fairly straight foward thing I would think but have a look at the forums in the link for a bit more info or a good place to ask.

http://thebackyardboys.com/
    My sig has been pruned as it was over 5 lines long.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

look to WRX engine and box, tho the forrester should be ok. just get away from the horrible early legacy/liberty stuff. those versions of the motor box are CRAP!

the 2.5 sounds good.... another option could be the 6 cyl engine.

as far as other 4WD setups go, mitsi etc are very very different.
    the subaru set up is a LOT easier to work on
    eg if a evo blows a turbo midstage it retires, in a WRX all you need is a 20min service for a turbo change..... and 45min service for a clutch/gearbox
    evo is closer to 45 hours!!!
    I DONT WORK FOR TOYOTA ANYMORE
    please, no more PMs!

BBP racing 3rzfe+T Carport Converter BeRad's Avatar

i havnt seen good things from the ej25tt, big flat spots in the engine, these can be ironed out but i think the ej20 is the best option if you dont want to go stupid.
    Only the shittiest of wines come in 5 litres

boosted 3rz hilux *new project* mwahaha
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...940#post134940

Junior Member Domestic Engineer MRMOPARMAN's Avatar

subaru's are quite interchangable, just about everything has been done to them by someone so someone on rexnet or MRT forums should be able to point you in the right direction.

if it was me id just go a nice stocker liberty RS/legacy GT front cut from the same era, then youd probably have a plug and play wiring loom, spare panels (if their any good) and spare dash and heater parts etc.

the liberty RS got a 1/4 mile time of 14.9 cack in their day so if you mate's happy with that then no tweaking needed
    Quote Originally Posted by cuzzo
    well have to see what gen is better the ke30 or the ke(yuk)25
    Quote Originally Posted by Bananaman
    Thats like comparing a house brick and a stiletto

BBP racing 3rzfe+T Carport Converter BeRad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MRMOPARMAN
    subaru's are quite interchangable, just about everything has been done to them by someone so someone on rexnet or MRT forums should be able to point you in the right direction.

if it was me id just go a nice stocker liberty RS/legacy GT front cut from the same era, then youd probably have a plug and play wiring loom, spare panels (if their any good) and spare dash and heater parts etc.

the liberty RS got a 1/4 mile time of 14.9 cack in their day so if you mate's happy with that then no tweaking needed

Even just with a 3inch exhaust to let it breath will cut time off that. and an exhaust on a boxer is a must these days
    Only the shittiest of wines come in 5 litres

boosted 3rz hilux *new project* mwahaha
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...940#post134940

Junior Member Grease Monkey Scourge's Avatar

There is actually a Subaru Liberty forum on the net which covers exactly this kind of thing. It's a great forum so it might be worth a visit.

Alot of people will tell you the same thing though and that is to simply sell it and buy an imported Legacy twin turbo which offers a similar equipment level to the Heritage but with a twin turbo EJ20. They can be bought for as little as 12k. Half cuts are pretty cheap and easy to find so a conversion using this would be the most straight foward swap. Expect to pay a premium for a 5 speed cut though. Most Subaru gear is highly interchangeable and in pretty much all aspects the WRX gear is the stuff to go for with the STI stuff being the best. The 2.5 single turbo is the ultimate conversion but will be extremely expensive. The twin turbo set up is okay but alot of people don't like the flat spot at 4000rpm and they are harder to get power out of with the standard setup. For this reason the WRX single turbo version is a better option. The WRX gear offers stronger diffs, gearboxes and engines, the STI stuff is one step up again with much stronger 6 speed boxes and diffs as well as closed deck engine blocks, better heads, bigger injectors etc etc. Something like a gearbox swap however will require the rear diff as well to match the ratios - you may find that a full WRX driveline swap will be very extensive and you'll need to make friends with a Suby wrecker.

Having driven a 99 2.5 litre Heritage auto and a 2003 RX 5 speed I can say that the 2.5 performance is much better with the manual. The auto chokes the life out that engine something chronic so a gearbox change would be the best value option. With a 5 speed they drive pretty well whereas with an auto they are a miserable piece of poo. Without going overboard thats what I'd be doing - then you'll have the only 5 speed Heritage around!

Thanks for all your input guys.

Scourge, regarding an upgrade to a 5speed - that could definitely be a good place to start.

Il have a chat with him.
    Quote Originally Posted by blacktopspirit
    Gastro has hurt me for 4 days now! want to die! to scared to fart, to scared to eat, to scared to be more than 4 meters away from toilet!!!

Cunning Linguist Domestic Engineer The Last Streetfighter's Avatar

AE90 Silvertop - GONE; 2001 ST215W GT-T Manual - SOLD; EP82 Starlet GT - Sold
    Now driving 20V Turbo 1.8 N-S FWD