Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Toymods applying to the RTA for Historic Plates

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Default Toymods applying to the RTA for Historic Plates

Hi,

As the title says, I have spoken to the RTA and got the low down on what the Club needs to provide to get itself registered by the NSW RTA so it can include historic plated vehicles in our events.

I'm not sure how many people here have historic plates for any of their cars, or if they are thinking about it, but here is the thread where you let us know if you're interested.

A historic plated car must be 30+ years old and in original condition, except for safety items (such as seat belts etc). Basically, the vehicle must be the same as how it came out of the factory.

If your car meets these requirements, you can apply to the RTA for a historic plate. The RTA has a form that you must fill in, and if they're happy then you can get your car onto the historic plates.

Once you have historic plates you can only drive your vehicle for events that are sponsored by a club that is recognised (to have historic vehicles in its membership) by the RTA. You cannot drive it to work or anywhere unless it's noted and approved by the Club, and only for Club events.

This will mean that if you attend Toymod events, cruises, meetings and any of our social activities then you can bring along your historic plated Toyota.

I have to get a few things sorted, but I need to know if anyone is interested in putting their car onto historic plates?

We need at least 5 cars owned by financial members of the Club to meet the min requirements, within the next 12 months. That is, the moment we get authorisation from the RTA, we have 12months to have at least 5 cars, owned by financial Club members, that are on historic plates.

I know I'll be getting my car onto the historic plates as soon as the Club is authorised by the RTA.

I'm sure there will be questions and stuff and I'll answer what I can.

This is a big thing for us as we expand our Club to cater for the older, original classics that some of us own.

As Big Kev would say, "I'm excited!"

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

Junior Member Conversion King whatthe?'s Avatar

Default Re: Toymods applying to the RTA for Historic Plates

Well, there's you and lambo....

That is all
    Project megap00 - Gave up and sold up. Money tree died

Hi,

OSJ may want to join.... and he's got a couple of cars!

All we can do is wait and see what sort of response we get.

seeyuzz
    river

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

In case Qld folk are curious about classic registration, go here: http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home..._vintage_cars/

There's no minimum numbers for clubs but you have to be a club member and get letter/proof of club membership (and there are obvious restrictions on use of the historic-registered car). Qld doesn't have the restrictions on the nature (e.g. mods) of the car like NSW.

cheers,
    Charles.
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

Hi,

So, in Qld, you can have a 1G-GTE powered RA28 and it can be registered as a historic?

seeyuzz
    river

30DET... The only way. Carport Converter Kyosho's Avatar

I honestly can't understand why you'd want your car on historic plates.
    The only benefit you get, is a few dollars saved in your pocket.

You end up with major restrictions on how far you can drive it, and you end up with major restrictions on what you can do with it.

From the club that I and my father are in, we've been notified by the CMC and RTA that we CAN run a modified car, as long as it was factory optioned, or we can provide proof that that mod was available back then.

Hi,

Yes, some factory-period mods maybe okay - but it's something I'd have to check.

I have a run about car and I only use the RA25 for club things, so putting it on historic plates makes no difference to how much I drive it - plus it's cheaper to register now. So, for me, it's an advantage.

seeyuzz
    river

Cliff & Simon's cars are both on classic rego and they're both very non-factory. Neither car is driven very often so the cheap rego+CTP (~$170/year) makes it worth it keeping them registered. Otherwise you have to hire trailers for any event or get 1-day permits which are expensive compared to Victoria.

So, yes you can have an RA28+1GGTE and get classic (or concessional as they call it) rego.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

The saving is more than a couple of dollars,pink slip and rego is only $80 and that includes greenslip and you save hundreds on your comprehensive insurance!

Junior Member Chief Engine Builder Classique71's Avatar

Cams affilliation would also be very handy too!
    Saphira - ST205 Celica GT-FOUR Group A NZ No:1/4
    "Mongrel Garage - back on Aussie soil! "

Blasphemist Chief Engine Builder Bananaman's Avatar

I was following an old ?pontiac? last sunday that had historic plates. It was one of those cars with mud style tyres, spotties, etc. One of those around australia type cars. I did notice it had a rollcage, which was interesting...
    KE20 CA18DET / RN25 12R / IS200 1G / NA MX5 B6

Classique71, the Celica club in Victoria is already cams affiliated (am assuming you're in Vic by your sig).

Toymods Club Member #194 Conversion King Lambolica's Avatar

I'm registering interest however The GT is registered for 1 year, then onto Classic.So I'll be at the tail end of the 12 months.

Cheers
    Simon
    Beige.... The new Black!!!

Junior Member Carport Converter Roscos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bananaman
    I was following an old ?pontiac? last sunday that had historic plates. It was one of those cars with mud style tyres, spotties, etc. One of those around australia type cars. I did notice it had a rollcage, which was interesting...
    That sounds like a bash car and if has got those plate it is he belongs to cams affiliated club.

In Victoria, all you need is a RWC and you must be a member of a cams affiliated car club. The car l think must be 25 years or older to be able to get club plates and the rules are the same.
    As for motors or modifications, l don't think it matters as long as it gets through a RWC.
    The rules in all other states might different but it is a cheaper rego system for your car if you are not going to drive them on a regular basis.

For you River, this is the ideal sitution, if you don't drive that 25 to often and rego is cheap, why not, but do you still have to get a RWC every year.

l know you can register a left hand drive in Victoria if it is 25 years and older and the same goes for club plates.

River, l don't know what you pay for rego in NSW, but if you can get it for under $200 a year and you get funny looking plates, who farking cares. All you are going to lose is your personalised plate, but do you own them like we do in Victoria and they cannot take them off me.

If l could get club plates on my 40 at the moment and not have to get a RWC, l would get them but the car is off the road and l am still paying full rego.

Rosco

Junior Member Carport Converter Roscos's Avatar

l have had a quick rethink on this, PM nickel on this as he works RTA in Victoria and he might be able to help you in NSW.

Rosco again