Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 1JZ / 2JZ into MA61 / MZ10 Guide.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic 82MKII's Avatar

Default Re: 1JZ / 2JZ into MA61 / MZ10 Guide.

So has anyone connected the dash cluster output to the SPD input of a 2JZ ECU?
    When I did my conversion, I was about to do this, but was concerned that the MA61 dash cluster output is a 0-12v pulse train (that only works when you have the 'MAIN' switch on), but the 2JZ ECU (or PowerFC in my case) would be expecting a 0-5v pulse train and possibly be damaged, so I left it.
    I'd like to connect it if anyone can verify that the 2JZ ECU is expecting a 0-12v pulse train. Then I can log speed as well

Regards

Peter
    1982 MA61 2JZ-GTE 354rwhp @ OST Dyno Day #4

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

The factory dashes SPD output is a 4 pulse per rev of the speedo cable to EARTH.
    Its the same signal that goes to the Cruise ECU. (and PPS ecu and ECT ecu if your car has those).
    The stock 2JZ ecu will accept this input, and based purely on that I'd say the PowerFC would be the same.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

I dug up some more info on it, and according to this http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/articles/engine_2_42.htm the 2JZ ECU would be expecting a 0-5v pulse train. However, given the circuit diagram on the second page it shouldn't be a problem to hit it with a 0-12v pulse train.
    I'll connect it up next time I've got it in bits.

Regards

Peter

I just thought I'd add something else I discovered:
    for the last two years I've been chasing a cold start problem with my 2J + PowerFC (into MA61).
    Symptoms:
    - when started from cold it would barely idle (500 - 600 rpm). If I waited until it hit approx 45 degrees, it would (most of the time) idle up to about 1500rpm and then (most of the time) behave like a normal car warming up. If I dared to actually drive it when it was less than 45 degrees, the throttle response was woeful - ie it was almost like you would go instantly from closed throttle to 1/4 open throttle with nothing in between.
    Over the past two years I played with all manner of settings on the PowerFC with no change. I did the whole 'idle-learn' thing (several times) with no change.
    I suspected the ISCV, but whenever I adjusted the idle speed the car would idle up & down correctly (once warm) - so the ISCV was functional.
    I started to get desperate, so I opened the throttle stop a little (one or two turns). That helped with the cold idle, but once the motor warmed up it (sometimes) would get into a 'rev loop', where it would rev to about 2000rpm, then fuel cut, then rev to 2000rpm, fuel cut ... This could happen at any time and was highly embarrasing if it happened at the lights... "No officer I wasn't lining up for a drag ...". Oddly enough, when it was in it's rev-loop mode, switching the lights on would often calm it down. I nearly flattened my battery a few times after leaving them on in the middle of the day!

A few weeks ago, it finally dawned on me the reason - the 2J requires the 12v feed to the ISCV to be 'kept alive' for approx 2 seconds after the engine is shut down. This gives the ECU time to 'open up' the ISCV in preparation for the next cold start. If you don't do this you will be faced with all the crap I have described above.
    To facilitate this, I added in a relay. In the schematic diagram below, the existing MA61 wiring is in blue, and all the new bits I added are in red. Brief description of the way it works:
    - when the ignition is switched on, the ECU provides 12 volts from the M-REL output, which switches on the relay and provides power to the ISCV and all the VSVs
    - when the ignition is switched off, the ECU continues to power the M-REL output for a further 2 seconds, which keeps power on to the ISCV, which allows the ECU to open up the ISCV for the next cold start.
    Rather than just pick off an existing fused feed, I elected to use the ECU-B feed. This is normally dedicated to the trip computer (which my doesn't even have), so it was a nice conveniently fused outlet to use.
    So the moral of the story is:
    a) don't copy other people's wiring
    b) if you have cold start problems don't always suspect the ECU - it might be your wiring!

Regards

Peter

Yay! I'm an Automotive Encyclopaedia Hydra's Avatar

Aye this was the problem I had back with my 1G-GTE swap, no power to the ISCV after shutting off the engine. Glad to hear you got it sorted!

Quote Originally Posted by CrUZida View Post
    The factory dashes SPD output is a 4 pulse per rev of the speedo cable to EARTH.
    Its the same signal that goes to the Cruise ECU. (and PPS ecu and ECT ecu if your car has those).
    The stock 2JZ ecu will accept this input, and based purely on that I'd say the PowerFC would be the same.
    Connected this up today (signal from back of dash, picked up from cruise control computer and connected to SP1 input of PowerFC). It all seems to work fine - can now view vehicle speed on the hand controller - although maybe reads slightly high. I guess the stock rolling radius of a JZA80 is probably more than a MA61.

Regards

Peter

You'll find your idle will possibly be a bit smoother at times now.
    Peewee
    2013 86 GTS

Junior Member Grease Monkey BEVANI's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yotaholic View Post
    Yeah to make them would be a PITA !! Well the good news is it fit spot on but was a fun job . I do have a question about the Bonneville mounts. It looks like my crank pully will hit the sway bar if not it's very very close . I can get pics of that but has anyone else had this issue ? Cheers!!

im lookin into buying the same dump pipe but being right hand drive has anyone tried/test fitted this to see if it will clear the steering rack?

Toyota Farmer Grease Monkey Yotaholic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BEVANI View Post
    im lookin into buying the same dump pipe but being right hand drive has anyone tried/test fitted this to see if it will clear the steering rack?
    Not sure mate If you want to try it, i'll sell you that one in the pic for 50 bucks . I m using the hks y pipe now so I don't need it . It does have the o2 bung cut out but thats a quick fix with a tig and a SS bung . Shipping cost will suck but it's an option for you if you want it .. Cheers
    82 Ma61 1JZ/R154 HKS Twins
    94 JZA80 V160 S475R (sold)
    94 JZA80 V160 T51R KAI CDN. Spec

Junior Member Grease Monkey BEVANI's Avatar

sending PM now

C2H5OH Powered Automotive Encyclopaedia George's Avatar

posted by mistake, delete this please
    Last edited by George; 28-05-2010 at 01:58 AM. Reason: my opinion was wrong, the spd1 pin is an input

the always broken 165 Carport Converter piggy's Avatar

hey all just a question for you all i tried having a look but with no real luck. i have an mx73 with a 1jz init im using Bonneville mounts in it but i was wondering if they would go into a MA61 or would i have to get new ones?

cheers in advance chris
    1974 TA22 Celica the new project
    2002 UZS171 Crown daily
    st165 white forged gen2 3sgte 264deg cams, 1000cc injectors, side facing plenum, GT30, CBR600 COP, 205 gbox, diff and calipers, haltech ecu,coilovers, 3'' exhaust, water meth injection 235AWKW @ 22psi 12.29@117MPH 1.885 60'

They will work fine.
    Peewee
    2013 86 GTS

the always broken 165 Carport Converter piggy's Avatar

thanks for that mate
    1974 TA22 Celica the new project
    2002 UZS171 Crown daily
    st165 white forged gen2 3sgte 264deg cams, 1000cc injectors, side facing plenum, GT30, CBR600 COP, 205 gbox, diff and calipers, haltech ecu,coilovers, 3'' exhaust, water meth injection 235AWKW @ 22psi 12.29@117MPH 1.885 60'

Toymods Club Member Backyard Mechanic auto351's Avatar

Hi,
    Im helping a friend wire up a 2JZ into an MA61 I have got the below info but when we started wiring we found this was for a diferent version of the 2JZ

This is the info we got from the forum it has two plugs one orange and the other is gray

Here is the plug we have,

Can some one tell me what 2JZ its from