Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4A-FE - What's worth doing?

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default 4A-FE - What's worth doing?

HI guys. I am a newbie on this site, just moved from fordlaser.com after buying an AE-101. I wanted to find out what sort of work is worth doing to this engine. Don't wont to go too far, probably 1G budget at the moment for the performance side of things, don't want to be pulling the engine apart or anything to that extent. Need to stay n/a - still on P's. Can do most work myself, so discount labour where you can. I eventually want to go the full rally look. Does anyone know where I can find pics and info if there was a rally version of this corolla? Search doesn't bring up anything much. Cheers guys!

7M-BHGE Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: 4A-FE - What's worth doing?

Wont find many pics of Rally FWD's.

Only thing you can do is a 4A-GE transplant, which will be more than 1k - i think.
    Quote Originally Posted by skiddz
    deodorised fish oil = winnnaaaaaa, goodness of teh fishz but with out the smellz

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

GE, GZE or 20v conversion is the go - I wouldn't waste too much time or money on a povo-spec 4A-FE.

Strange ****** Grease Monkey wraith's Avatar

You'll only legally be able to fit a 20v or late model gze. So in reality, your options consist of a silvertop or a blacktop- and depending on year, you might have to be selective about which silvertop. It's illegal to put an engine in that is older than the car. Though if your mechanically minded, you could probably stick a GE head/manifolds/etc on your current block, and that would probably be legitimate. A head swap would also be economically viable if you don't mind hunting around a bit. Billzilla seems to believe that there is potential in the 4AFE, though a cursory search didn't find any camshafts or similar. Maybe PM him for more info?

cheers

Ash
    WTB- replacement titanium nuts to suit the squirrel on my Megaswarf 2300. Carbon fiber model, not the Chinese knockoff fiberglass.

Fuel Economy Warrior Carport Converter Vios-GT_07's Avatar

hm

no such thing as cams as it has only one cam gear and the exhaust cam runs off the intake cams..

just keep it clean, make sure service on time and spark plugs are good.. throttle body and injector clean if necessary, and fuel filter.... then just thrash the shit out of it till u're satisfied.. and if you manage to kill it, let us know how heeheh

just for kics, pod filter, 2.25" exhaust, headers if u can find them?
    Research has shown child in front seat causes accidents, accident in back seat causes child

Junior Member Conversion King Jorrs's Avatar

you can legally stick a 20valve silvertop into your 101, i no cos i have one in mine.. ( there are ways around anything)

anyways my brother has a 101 as well, he has the 4afe, with 1k, id say go the same path as we did for his, custom extractors and a bit of a exhaust and some nice shocks and springs, gives the car a lil bit extra up top a lil sound and keeps it handling sweet as and makes it a nice ride

not sure what the extractors were, but the shocks were monroe GTs and some nice king springs lows that we put in, made the car a thousand times better then original and with is nice mags made the car a pleasure to drive.

if it was me with a grand, the slight zorst, a K&N panel filter, shocks and springs would be the only way id go.
    Last edited by Jorrs; 27-05-2007 at 01:28 AM.
    What is autosalon? Sounds kinda homo.
    Quote Originally Posted by tooch
    It's extremely homo. Basically a whole lot of sh1t cars, with ugly wheels, and a lot of 16-20 year old rockstars with trendy mullets and gay shirts.
    Slayer Of Toymods Wookie Slayers

ToyotaCarClub.net Domestic Engineer Starfire's Avatar

You can use an engine older than the car, as long as it meets the emission requirements of the chassis. If they were certified to different standards you may need to go through testing, which is expensive and difficult for an older engine to pass.
    1987 AW11 MR2 Supercharger (4AGZE)
    1974 TA22 Celica (2TG bored and stroked)

Thanks to James Cameron's Terminator films, we know that robots are stronger, faster, tougher and more Austrian than the rest of us.

Junior Member Conversion King Jorrs's Avatar

or you just find an engineer who doesnt know his lefts from rights..
    cough cough ! haha

but yeh, the 20valve in a 101 does pass emissions and after you stick one in a 101 and go for a blue slip/rwc most people wont ask to much about it, you just say the 101 came with the motor in a different model ( which they did ) so its legit !
    cheers
    What is autosalon? Sounds kinda homo.
    Quote Originally Posted by tooch
    It's extremely homo. Basically a whole lot of sh1t cars, with ugly wheels, and a lot of 16-20 year old rockstars with trendy mullets and gay shirts.
    Slayer Of Toymods Wookie Slayers

You can pick up cams for the 4afes, best thing to do would be to add a 7a bottom end to it, use the 7a block and crank, and use your pistons, you will have a high comp ratio, plus the extra capacity

Insert whitty comment her Automotive Encyclopaedia blacktop's Avatar

none of you guys have really stuck to the 1K budget

Full service i.e. plugs, leads, oil, filters, timing belt (if required), ect.
    Sway bars, shox, springs.

Now your out of money and that's probably the most i would spend on the motor

But if you do have some spear dosh get the cam reground should cost about $130, but when you do this you then have to look at headers and exhaust to get the potential out of the cam.

I dunno, I recon I could come close to having a 20v installed in a FWD corolla for around the $1000 mark - maybe $1200 accounting for extras like hoses and belts.

Thanks to James Cameron's Terminator films, we know that robots are stronger, faster, tougher and more Austrian than the rest of us.

is that including all the wiring and ecu etc

Yeah - as long as you can find a complete engine, loom and ECU for the right price. They do come up from time to time, you just have to shop around and be patient.

Think your cutting it abit tight, he'll need a c52 or c56 i wouldnt run the c50 that the 4afe has atm, then he'll need the exhaust done, cv's, oils, trans and engine, timing belt and waterpump to be safe. i think 1000-1200 is very tight

I didnt say it wasnt tight, but it is possible.

You can use the standard box they arent as fragile as everyone seems to think and while the 20V makes plenty more power than the 4AFE, it still makes bugger all torque which is what usually breaks things.

Being non-interferance you don't have to change the timing belt but it is worth doing when the engine is out as they can be a pain once it's fitted. Same with the water pump.

That said I'd rather save up the extra and even spend $2000+ doing a 20v conversion than spend a penny on a 4AFE - there isnt enough turd polish in this world to make anything substantial come of that engine.