Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Super Charged 2TG.

ToyotaCarClub.net Domestic Engineer Starfire's Avatar

Default Re: Super Charged 2TG.

While it would be interesting, the fact that you don't have fuel injection will make things difficult. Carbie hats are a black, black art. Get them wrong and you will pay for it with fire. add to that the fact that you have fairly high compression and will need to contract out the work and you are looking at $$$.

If I were you I would be looking for the rest of the 4AGZE that the supercharger came off of and bolting that in to the rolla. You'll get great results at a fraction of the cost with the added benefit of reliability.

If you want to be different though then the boosted 2t would be really cool

Good luck with converting it either way you decide to go.
    1987 AW11 MR2 Supercharger (4AGZE)
    1974 TA22 Celica (2TG bored and stroked)

Thanks to James Cameron's Terminator films, we know that robots are stronger, faster, tougher and more Austrian than the rest of us.

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice 2TG KE35's Avatar

well every one is 4age this 4age that.

im not a fan.

whats the point of old skool with out the carbs???

i dont mind how much its going to cost me as the car is only for weekends.

and who can resist the sound that twin webers make???

maybe one day a 3sgte will take the 2tgs place. hehe

cheers for the replys and info guys..

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

but if it is supercharged.. you won't get as much of that oldschool sound as the carbs will be covered in a plenum to keep the SC'd air in....hmmmm
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

ToyotaCarClub.net Domestic Engineer Starfire's Avatar

And like I said - carb hats are a really easy way to get yourself an engine fire. I suggested a 4AGZE as it will be the simplest and cheapest way to get the performance out of the car. Building up a custom engine will be cool but will require a lot more time and money.
    1987 AW11 MR2 Supercharger (4AGZE)
    1974 TA22 Celica (2TG bored and stroked)

Thanks to James Cameron's Terminator films, we know that robots are stronger, faster, tougher and more Austrian than the rest of us.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer myne's Avatar

Yeah there's not much point re-working a 2T for supercharging.
    I'd also be wary of the KE35 chassis. Having owned a few KErolla's, I know first hand how sloppy the coupe chassis is over the sedans. I wouldnt want to put too much torque in one that's for sure.

That said, if you insist on supercharging, I'd definitely go the gze. You already have a T50 gearbox, so it should more or less bolt up to it, grab an ae71 crossmember and suddenly the hard part is rigging up the EFI.
    You will eat diffs though. And you should probably get the gearbox's freeplay tightened up to stop it lashing itself to death.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

no no, if he wants to SC the 2T, thats fine, but EFI will make life sooooo much easier (and cheaper to run)
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Junior Member Domestic Engineer myne's Avatar

He'd easily run the price over that of a stock gze though.
    New inlet, injectors, computer, sensors, brackets, etc etc

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice 2TG KE35's Avatar

well for now the motor is just going to have the Twin 42mm webers on.

maybe the SC will go on later.

after ive got my car running hahahaha.

thanks guys again.

I even do the dishes as Domestic Engineer Rodger's Avatar

2TG KE35,

I don't know much on how to force feed Webers.

But if you were using the original Solexes then I know a few tricks to make them suit being force fed, so I maybe able give you some ideas and things to look out for on the Webers.

Justen S is always on at me to supercharge my 2T so I am keen on hearing how your conversion goes.

Have fun.

Regards

Rodger

Toymods Board Member Domestic Engineer mynameisrodney's Avatar

I thought I'd dig this up rather than start a new thread.

I have searched and searched and searched, and am yet to find a single decent pic of a supercharged 2tg. I'm going to attempt this with my hybrid, and have been reading about people doing it using the 2t power steering brackets to mount the charger, but I don't like my chances of finding one. So I'll probably need to make custom mounts, but a few pics of the set up would be great to help me see how high and at what angle it ends up being mounted, and how people have done the piping. If anybody has any they would be greatly appreciated.

Also as I am a noob when it comes to this stuff, I know nothing of my need for a BOV or bypass valve. This page suggests a BOV is needed, but others I have read say it is definitely not.

Most of the work I have done so far has been restoring rather than modifying, so sorry for spamming the forums with dumb questions at the moment. I solemnly swear to put together a nice set of fully document build instructions with pics when I am done haha.

Cheers,
    Chris

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia stidnam's Avatar

Here or here?

hey stidnam, cheers for that. Yeah I've read both those pages, but was really looking for some pics. Both use the 2tg air con bracket, and I've never seen one so it makes it hard to picture. I had a quick go of just holding it in place where I thought it would go but then it looked like the piping wasn't going to work.

the other thing was the pulleys. Tim frosts instructions mention using a crank pulpy that takes both a v belt and a ribbed belt off a corrolla. I couldn't find one like that at pickies. The other page says to swap them all to the multiribbed, and use the waterpump pulley of a 4afe, but all the 4afe pulleys I could see looked like they took 2 belts. Maybe I just need to find a non-AC 4afe?

cheers,
    Chris

Please don't spank my Backyard Mechanic The Green Terror's Avatar

Send a message to Invid, he has done the whole SC on a 2TGEU, or have a look here:
    http://khi-santh.canberracelica.org/
    "Don't you know there is no Devil, there's just God when he's drunk" Tom Waits - Heart Attack & Vine

I love aardvarks Backyard Mechanic Invid's Avatar

Hey Chris, as the author of that Wikia article, and current owner of a 2TGZEU I can probably answer a lot of your questions.

Regarding a BOV, this is a must as it acts as an air bleed valve. Depending on what configuration you set up your SC in, you will need this. The BOV allows the engine to bypass the SC when it isn't engaged, and also allows the excess pressure to vent when the throttle closes. Either way a must have. I have my SC set up before the throttle (not my prefered configuration) and without the BOV the SC would be pushing up to 7PSI at a closed throttle when I take my foot off the gas. My next job is to move the throttle before the SC.

Pulleys...
    Tim Frost's article suggests getting a crank pulley that had both the V-belt and multi rib. I could not find anything that matched this. I decided to convert all my pulleys over to multi rib. Unfortunately the pulley I used for the water pump was bought from someone who thought it was for a 4AFE but it sounds like they were wrong. The advantage of converting all the pulleys is that the 85A alternator upgrade uses a multi-rib belt so it was even easier to convert to use on my 2TG

I did document most things photographically, but they may be burried in my archives somewhere. I'll see what I can dig out for you.

ps. Let me know if there was any other questions...

pps. I see The Green Terror got here before me
    1972 TA22 2TGZEU - Now with Z Powaaah! (Go, go Gadget Torque!)
    See pics on http://sebastianbecher.com.au - In the automotive photo gallery
    Proud supporter of the http://www.canberracelica.org

Thanks heaps guys!

Invid, yeah I will be running the same with the SC before the throttle. I was thinking of getting this set of pulleys. The crank pulley is only the 135 though. Is that what you are running, or do you have the bigger gze crank pulley? I just got the 85A alternator the other week, but it only had a 3 ribbed pulley, not a 5.

Are you saying that the water pump pulley might not be 4AFE based on what I said, or have you seen other things to suggest this too? Because I could have just give up too easy (I didn't look at EVERY 4A at pick and payless haha).

Any pics you could dig up would be greatly appreciated. Espescially any pre-install pics of the AC bracket, and any pics of how your piping is set up.

Cheers,
    Chris