Thread: 2TG head onto 3TC block...need help

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice quikestsilva's Avatar

Default 2TG head onto 3TC block...need help

Hey guys, i own a 1981 Toyota TE72 - T18, with a standard 3TC running extractors and exhaust system, 15 x 7 V5 simmons, standard diff and t50 gbox,
    i have recently purchased a complete 2TG which i just had the head shaved and new valves put in, i have pulled the 3TC out of my T18 and have been told that the 2tg head will go onto the 3tc, in which the 3tc is ohv not over head cam, ive been told that in doing this the cam has to stay in the 3tc block although as it is a pushrod motor im wondering if i have to get the holes in the block from the pushrods welded up as it will lose oil pressure? also i came across a site that said that you should turn the camshaft around in which that will block up the holes so you dont lose oil pressure, im unsure what i have to disconect to leave the cam in the block, im guessing i have to use the 3tc timing cover?
    i have the inlet manifold with twin Solex 40mm's which hopefully wont need rekiting but that the least of my worries 4 now, thankfully the extractors will fit the 2tg head, im guessing i wont have any troubles with the air filters hiting the strut tower?

i would really apreciate it if anyone could give me some help and advice on puting the 2tg head onto the 3tc block, as i no you guys on here really no ur sh*t when it comes to toyota motors, any trouble that you've had or think im going to have feel free to let me no, im only 18 and still learning all bout this stuff and yea i need help lol, oh also i will get sum pics up soon, and i will get the number printed in the head incase it makes a difference as i no there made from 1973 -1977 or something like that, Cheers Kyle

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic rob1's Avatar

Default Re: 2TG head onto 3TC block...need help

do a search mate. i read a thread in the last couple of days that answer some of your questions.

http://toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22869

Junior Member Grease Monkey styler's Avatar

Default Re: 2TG head onto 3TC block...need help

i would say the best thing to do is let someone else do it who has done it before or take it to an engine shop

3tc has a pushrod camshaft, a 2tg has a dummy cam in the same location. when you are building a hybrid you change from 3tc camshaft to a 2tg dummy shaft and you need to rotate the unused bearings to block the unused oil holes.

you also need all the timing gear from the 2tg to build a hybrid and most likely a 2t/2tg engine manual as well as some standard and special tools. also gaskets etc

i recommend a shop for your best bet