Thread: BOV on a 1GGZE??

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default BOV on a 1GGZE??

Hi fellas, this is my first thread on Toymods, finally! If it weren't for my new Toyota KE70 Wagon, id be still sitting on ausrotary, not that it was a bad thing. So i have a technical question which i have been fretting over for a while now, never getting a good, strong, solid, or clear answer from other performance forums. Ok so as i mention earlier i have a new pride and joy =) a corolla wagon fitted with a 1ggze plus various other goodies but wont i don't have is something that i am now in a sense addicted to, in a weird expecting kind of way =I a BOV* the 1ggze from the corolla has actually had a BOV plumed onto the intake manifold but is in a non working state due to the pressure release valve has been broken off? looks to me like the bov has been heavily dropped and only the original builder/owner of the car actually knows if it was ever working and i would happily give him a call but i do not have his contact. So can anyone save me the time and money on buying and fitting a BOV that as i have recently heard may not even work on the 1ggze, by answering my guestion *Will a BOV work on the supercharged 2ltr straight 6? It is currently making an easy 15psi due a custom sized alloy crank pulley. See attached picture for exact location of the blow off valve (sorry for the threads length i just didnt want to sound rude)

Cheers,
    Adam

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: BOV on a 1GGZE??

Might be worth a search - theres been discussion on this matter before.

short answer to avoid flames:

Not alot of point nor purpose.

wire jiggler supreme Backyard Mechanic celicapain's Avatar

it would work, and youll get a funky pppshhh sound if you plumb it up, but you dont need it for a positive disp supercharger, and itll mess up your air fuel settings unless you run it plumback. which voids the only reason for fitting it in the first place.
    GA23(never finished-now with cracked block ) JZX83 (Tyre eater) 3sgte AE86. by now i should know better.

Toymods Tuner Backyard Mechanic Forcefed6's Avatar

On a 1GGZE there is really no point to having a BOV full stop. Because of the factory setup, the throttle butterfly is on the induction side of the supercharger. Therefore when you close the throttle, the supercharger will not be stall because it is trying to force boost into a wall (ie throttle butterfly)

The only real point to having a BOV on a 1GGZE would be to act as an overboost valve with a set spring pressure on the valve.
    Z10 Soarer - [email protected] ... 11's soon
    CHECK IT OUT HERE

Quote Originally Posted by Forcefed6
    The only real point to having a BOV on a 1GGZE would be to act as an overboost valve with a set spring pressure on the valve.
    What is a set spring? Is this another type of blow off valve?
    So if i decided to use a bov as an overboost valve is the present position (as seen in bovsetup picture) the right place or would it have to be moved?
    thanks for the feedback

p.s nice soarer > forcefed

Toymods Tuner Backyard Mechanic Forcefed6's Avatar

With the spring pressure, I am refering to BOV like in the Turbosmart range. These allow you to adjust the spring pressure by screwing the cap on further.

I feel there is no real need to have one at all. Not even for an overboost valve. The supercharger, being driven off the crank is only going to make so much boost. There is very little chance of overboost in this config, although I think the have one standard. If you are hell best on fitting one, fit it in place of the standard one. I just blocked it off on mine.

Thanks for the comments too.
    Z10 Soarer - [email protected] ... 11's soon
    CHECK IT OUT HERE

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Fitting a BOV on a supercharged engine like the 1G-GZE* is stupid. All it will do is suck unmetered/unfiltered air into the engine. That's right, it will work in reverse! Don't do it.

* It can be beneficial on setups with the throttle mounted post-blower, but that's not the case here.

Done, solved, my blow off valve issues are now over thanks to a few key members i will NOT BE fitting a bov as there are no positives in doing so. Save my cash and put it to better use.
    cheers fellas