Thread: 3TGTEU, which one do i have & other Qs

Texas Hold'em Junky Backyard Mechanic fade-e's Avatar

Default 3TGTEU, which one do i have & other Qs

hi guys,

finally got round to getting the motor out of the garage and on to the engine stand. when i was giving it a quick check i noticed a couple things that i need answers to...

firstly, what series motor do i have? is it the 1st gen oil cooled, or 2nd gen water cooled? there are 2 water lines and 1 oil line (2 if you include the oil return to block). see pic ICAM0016

secondly, what are these plugs/sensors for? they are all on and around the thermostat. the far left is a plug that i can only describe like an injector plug, the middle is a normal electrical/speaker type plug (not a great description i know but not sure of correct wording) and the far right one has 2 wires (black and brown) coming out of it that has been cut. see pic ICAM0017 (not a great pic, very blurry SORRY)

thirdly, what is this plug/sensor for? it seems to go into the oil cooler return line (well just behind it). see pic ICAM0018

and finally, this is a 2 part Q. see pic ICAM0020
    - the top piece in the pic, what is it for? its a little black piece, with 2 black little pieces that come off it. it has a little vacuum pipe that connects them together (sort of like blocking them off to each other). its situated in the middle of the inlet manifold.
    - with the oil filter adaptor, where arrowed, can i unscrew the little plugs and put oil temp & oil pressure sensors there for tachos? this may get answered from the third question......

all help and info is much appreciated...

cheers
    Last edited by fade-e; 25-09-2006 at 10:54 AM.

you can't say ****** here Automotive Encyclopaedia CLG's Avatar

Default Re: 3TGTEU, which one do i have & other Qs

1: Water cooled.
    2: Cold start timer, oil temp (for dash), and water temp (for dash)
    3: Probably goes to a VSV (ignore it). The knock sensor is alo around there, but will have a shielded wire and round green or grey single pin clip.
    4: VSV port from memory (ignore it), and yes so olong as the sandwich plate has oil pressure behind the bungs - they used the same sandwich plate for both oil and water cooled versions of 3TGTE, then simply added or subtracted the thermostat for the oil cooler. The bunged areas will be for this feature

Texas Hold'em Junky Backyard Mechanic fade-e's Avatar

Default Re: 3TGTEU, which one do i have & other Qs

clint mate you are a GEM! honestly you are!!!!!!

makes me even happier to know that i have a water cooled version rather than the oil cooled

mate you have made my day with these answers... great stuff mate

cheers